Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Aus Fox

Premier League Thread 2019/20

5 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I watched the captains one. Shearer was right about Sherwood not getting on it when he should have been included.

Gonna watch the goalscorers one today probably. Gotta be Henry, Aguero, Shearer leading the top three surely.

Shearer wasn't having Wes at all was he, or the title win to be honest. I don't mind Shearer sometimes but he can be a dick

8 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Shearer wasn't having Wes at all was he, or the title win to be honest. I don't mind Shearer sometimes but he can be a dick

I think it's because they wouldn't let him have Sherwood, which was daft imo as Sherwood was captain of the smallest side to win the title in the "Premier League" era. I'd have put him in instead of Henderson so that Sherwood and Wes were both in.

I knew Lineker and Wright would back Wes :D I think Keane was probably correct but I'd have gone Vieira up at number two.

Edited by Fox92

20 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

I think it's because they wouldn't let him have Sherwood, which was daft imo as Sherwood was captain of the smallest side to win the title in the "Premier League" era. I'd have put him in instead of Henderson so that Sherwood and Wes were both in.

I knew Lineker and Wright would back Wes :D I think Keane was probably correct but I'd have gone Vieira up at number two.

With a bit of context though, Blackburn weren't the smallest side to win the league in the PL era. They broke the English transfer record twice to sign Shearer and Sutton respectively, and players like LeSaux and Flowers weren't cheap. "Small" club, yeah - but they had huge backing. United only just got to Roy Keane ahead of them.

In a David v Goliath situation I'd argue we're the "smallest" side to win the Premier League given the circumstances.

• Like 4

Just now, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

With a bit of context though, Blackburn weren't the smallest side to win the league in the PL era. They broke the English transfer record twice to sign Shearer and Sutton respectively, and players like LeSaux and Flowers weren't cheap. "Small" club, yeah - but they had huge backing. United only just got to Roy Keane ahead of them.

In a David v Goliath situation I'd argue we're the "smallest" side to win the Premier League given the circumstances.

Oh yeah Jack Walker bankrolled them, no doubt about it. I didn't know about Keane but Lineker said on the show they went for him too. They have a fair bit of history Blackburn but in terms of club size I think we're bigger, that's where I was coming from (and Shearer too I think).

But in terms of other clubs spending and how much money is in the game now, I agree our achievement is the bigger one.

21 hours ago, Fox92 said:

I watched the captains one. Shearer was right about Sherwood not getting on it when he should have been included.

Gonna watch the goalscorers one today probably. Gotta be Henry, Aguero, Shearer leading the top three surely.

**** off should Sherwood have been included tbqh. 

Blackburn don't get anywhere near the scorn they basically deserve for buying the title. Everyone turns their nose up at Chelsea and Man City but Blackburn did it first, they just did it before money got ridiculous in the Premier League. 

Granted what they spent is insignificant by today's standards but at the time it was nuts. 

Shearer is just speaking up because he doesn't want the only thing he ever won to be devalued. 

Edited by Finnegan

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

**** off should Sherwood have been included tbqh. 

Blackburn don't get anywhere near the scorn they basically deserve for buying the title. Everyone turns their nose up at Chelsea and Man City but Blackburn did it first, they just did it before money got ridiculous in the Premier League. 

Granted what they spent is insignificant by today's standards but at the time it was nuts. 

Not disagreeing with the money thing. I don't know, at that time, who were considered to title challengers but for the couple of seasons Blackburn finished top 4, including winning it, they were captained by Tim Sherwood and that's the point. Take money out of it. Roy Keane was listed as #1, which is probably correct, but United chucked money around as good as anybody else. In fact didn't they sign Cole around this 94/95 period?

As a captain Shearer was talking about how Sherwood was a leader and well respected, no argument as he played under him. Evidently he was left out and they got 10 "better" captains, the likes of Keane/Viera/Adams/Terry/Gerrard etc are obviously better choices, but I don't think Sherwood would be much more further down.

Edited by Fox92

4 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Not disagreeing with the money thing. I don't know, at that time, who were considered to title challengers but for the couple of seasons Blackburn finished top 4, including winning it, they were captained by Tim Sherwood and that's the point. Take money out of it. Roy Keane was listed as #1, which is probably correct, but United chucked money around as good as anybody else. In fact didn't they sign Cole around this 94/95 period?

As a captain Shearer was talking about how Sherwood was a leader and well respected, no argument as he played under him. Evidently he was left out and they got 10 "better" captains, the likes of Keane/Viera/Adams/Terry/Gerrard etc are obviously better choices, but I don't think Sherwood would be much more further down.

Tim Sherwood though... 

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

Keane, Viera, Adams, Terry and Gerrard were amazing players, world class international capped players and consistently fantastic leaders for years of their careers. 

Sherwood was a bang average journeyman who happened to be lucky enough to be at a club that got injected with mega bucks. 

He had a bang average career, managed practically **** all caps, he's the definition of mediocre. 

Even Wes Morgan would only really get a token nomination in that team because of how nuts an achievement our title win was but let's be honest, calling him one of the top ten all time Premier league captains would be daft if we're honest. 

Grealish has had a smash, allegedly during the wee hours drunk, and left the scene.

All allegations at this point, obviously, but said to have been drinking with mates and driven home.

Wonder if the book will get thrown at him.

***spoiler alert*** it won't. It would get thrown at any multitude of those still working and contributing but it won't for a multi-millionaire. 

I've actually seen a villa fan post that it's because they brought 'characters like Drinkwater in'. Danny has tainted young Jack it seems lol

Villa fans are absolute mutants 

The god like status he has at that club is all a bit strange to me. What has he actually done for them? 

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, Cadno'r Cymoedd said:

Chelsea versus us on sky sports at the moment. 1 all. We were great in the second half. 

Watched that. Watching it back and taking the nerves out of it it was a great game of football to watch 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 1