Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Where were you when we were sh!t ?.

My first experience was when I was a kid trying to sneak in to the ground through a missing iron bar in the gents toilets.   I couldn't climb the wall.  So we waited until the gates opened in the last minutes.   We were playing villa that day and I could see the last of the game from the double decker.   That must have been in the  late 70s .

I when regularly in the 80s.   We were terrible, but lived for the times we won, which wasn't often.

The play off years were great as well as the League cup finals.

Had to give up my season ticket when I move to Japan in 2002.   So just my luck to miss there best years ....

Guest Markyblue

In the club car park chanting sack the board. In the main stand chanting pleat out. On the pitch at orient celebrating promotion, on the pitch against oxford celebrating survival. On the floor after hazards goal in tears. Never been boring following our boys.

10 hours ago, Anglodanglo said:

1980's. You could wangle your junk over the stand and pee on away fans

2019. Old ladies get reprimanded for holding up postcard size 'Puel Out' sign

same offender?

• 4 months later...

i remember being gutted we didn't sign Kerrea Gilbert after his loan and being absolutely convinced beyond all reason that Mark De Vries ABSOLUTELY WAS going to come good for us.

I also remember making a habit every game of ordering my last pint just as the match kicked off and gambling as to whether we had conceded before i made it to my seat - which didnt really need to be my seat as there were invariably 15k empty ones to take our pick from.

although its great being a well run, very well equipped football club, there is a part of me that hankers after those days of being an absolute soap opera of a club.  Although theres a good chance that its because i just want to be 17 again.

Edited by Tommo220
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 04/05/2019 at 19:21, Fox92 said:

I went to that game, Stoke away. 

That header onto the post late on, was it McAuley? 

Still remember people whispering that Southampton were winning. Awful times.

I was there too. Was on about it today actually with McAuley announcing his retirement 

My memory was being told to look out for Robbie Nielsen’s ‘long throws’ 

****ing awful times

5 hours ago, Bryn said:

Seems as good a thread as any; Gareth McAuley has announced his retirement.  Really liked him as a defender, a rare good player in a sea of shite. 

Second best defence in the league when we went down.

Always remembering him leaping like a salmon to head Fryatts cross in at Stamford Bridge...

...just seen a replay didnt really jump!

I was listening at home to us losing 0-1 to Man Utd actually 😁

In all seriousness I'm glad we no longer have to watch Richard Stearman's pinpoint perfect long passes down the line to the opposition's corner flag lol

I do miss the Tuesday games and the red LED scoreboard though, and I seem to remember an end of season game against Ipswich where we battered them but that didn't stop their fans doing a conga up and down the steps 😂

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, WhatTheSchlupp? said:

I remember raving to all my Chelsea and Man U supporting friends at school how good those 2 Hungarian players were (I think one was zsolt laczco or something, forget the other one), and thinking that judging from hossein kaebi’s 5 minute cameo that we’d smuggled in the Iranian messi 😂

Gabor Bori I think

My first proper game we got tonked 1-4 by Norwich at home. I remember the streaker’s willy giving him a leg-slap as he pegged it across the pitch! I had to stand on my crash helmet in the East Stand to see that game. Have no idea of the year. I'm guessing that I was about 10 and it was 1982. Maybe Andy Peak scored?? 

I clearly remember Pleat out demos in the car park. I didn't like it but we were complete shite. This is when I started going with my mates  (Danny Bennett bloody Spurs fan)  rather than my dad

One of my mates was a Burnley fan. They were Division 3 and were pulling in 13-16k. We were getting 11k! 

Saw Kerrea Gilbert’s name in here...I was so desperate for us to sign him too. 

I never understood why we didn't play Jimmy Quinn (I was still quite young!) 

Loved Ooh Tommy Wright

Going away to Charlton(??) in 1989ish dressed as a chicken. We filled the away end and they had to open up an extra part of the ground. I remember running across the pitch to another stand. 

Barnsley away in the cup. The one where Joachim scored. We took about 5k there. I queued and queued and didn't get in until half time! Missed the goal. We played them a week later in the league. Their chairman called us a disgrace. 

The David Currie days. Fvcking Mr Edd. Hated that cnut with a vengeance. 

Walsh vs Bully. 

David Speedie. I was one of the few that was glad he signed for us. 

Tommy Johnson frightened me with his pace. Always thought/expected him to score against us for the sheep.  

Man City away in the cup at Maine Road. We gave a penalty away in the 12th(??) minute. I think we lost 1-0  I remember Delbert playing that night. Or day !!!? 

Bournemouth away on the Bank Holiday weekend 2 seasons in a row. Them asking the league not to allow us there any more bank holidays because we were fvuvking nuisances.