Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jonthefox

Where were you when we were sh!t ?.

I don't know if this counts but at the beginning of the 13/14 season, looking at QPR, Wigan and Reading spaffing their parachute payments on players that seemingly wouldn't look out of place at top 8 Premier League clubs and thinking, 'how the hell are we ever going to get promoted?'

13 hours ago, spacemunky said:

He did indeed. 

The Juve thing was always my secondary go to factoid about Notts. Guess I'll have to bump it up to number one now.

I sincerely hope your primary factoid was taking 8k fans in the pissing rain to a Zenith Cup game!? Despite recent achievements this remains of my favourite LCFC memories

6 minutes ago, Anglodanglo said:

I sincerely hope your primary factoid was taking 8k fans in the pissing rain to a Zenith Cup game!? Despite recent achievements this remains of my favourite LCFC memories

That wasn't this match was it:

"I remember going to Leicester when Trevor Christie hit a hat trick in a 4-0 Notts' win. We thought it was raining towards the end of the game, only to find out it was the Leicester fans pi$$ing on us from the stand above. Ahhh the good ole days."

Posted on a Notts forum yesterday lol

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

"I remember going to Leicester when Trevor Christie hit a hat trick in a 4-0 Notts' win. We thought it was raining towards the end of the game, only to find out it was the Leicester fans pi$$ing on us from the stand above. Ahhh the good ole days."

1980's. You could wangle your junk over the stand and pee on away fans

2019. Old ladies get reprimanded for holding up postcard size 'Puel Out' sign

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, spacemunky said:

The 4-0 loss was the opening game of the 83/84 season at Filbert Street we actually lost the first 7 games that season but stayed up! The Zenith cup game was the 91/92 season, think Notts County were in the top flight, this was Brian littles first season, a very enjoyable season after years of shit!

• Thanks 1

Great thread this... brings back lots of memories (confirm it was Stoke away where we had fighting about Jordan Stewart), (I was in the front row of the kop right behind the goal for the Andy Longeran goal...) - but the thing that this thread proves is that football is cyclical & there are periods of ups and downs: it is very diifficult to pick one: more like where were you at each "trough".

In my early days following the club, after another 3rd round FA Cup defeat, I'd heard we'd lost in the 3rd round 9 times in a row. I couldn't quite believe "my team" could be that bad... Did a bit of research (Fossils and Foxes in those days, kids: not the internet) & found out it was true...

After some ups and downs, my first experience away from home was living down in Suffolk in '96. (without dwelling on the infamous Seffield United game which was about my 1 trip back), I was so excited one evening when Radio 5 had the commentary of Leicester v's West Brom. Was 1-1 towards the end of a (by Radio 5 accounts) a terrible game. Will never forget the commentator summing up the match towards the end: "these 2 teams have ambitions of being in the Premier League. They are Way Off. Way Off". Cue a last minute winner by West Brom...

After a remarkable period from then through the MON years, the sink back towards shtness (5-0 Bolton) the real kick in the teeth for me came the next year. After the Bolton game, they then came and took Ian Walker from us who was more than happy to take the money playing in Boltons reserves rather than playing for us... Listening to a 5 Live phone in the next season after some FA Cup games: a caller from Bolton "this shows how far we have come: even our reserves, such as our reserve goalkeeper, Ian Walker, have shown today what a great squad we have and how far we have come." What that (unintentional) gloating (at Leicester fans) tought me was that it was Premier League or nothing. If you were in, you had the money & enough resources for 2 teams. If you were out, tough. That lesson stuck with me for about a decade after...

The one year I had my season ticket was the Micky Adams -> Craig Levein year. I'd waited all my life to have a season ticket & moving back to Leicester, that was**the* season. Could pick many moments (Andy Longeran!) but the one that sticks with me was Reading at home - we were well beaten by a better team, but there was a kid - aged 8 or 9 - in the row behind me continually swearing at the Reading players. Not loud enough for them to hear, but right in my ear - just showing off. I lost patience and turned tound and said "shut up you little squirt" - to which his Dad - who was obviously very proud he'd taught his son to swear at complete strangers but couldn't have anyone having a go back - came at me. We were separated by stewards, the game finished moments later, we were ushered out out different exits & I moved my seats the next day. A fitting memory of *that* season...

But there was still further to fall... skip on a few years & I was married to an East Londoner, whose brother was a West Ham season ticket holder, so after I'd got her to some Leicester games, her brother had then got her along to a couple of West Ham games & giving the usual "West Ham way brainwashing". Anyway - a weekend at the inlaws & we're off the the Orient - on the tube & changing & we're swamped by West Ham fans on their way to their Premier League match... I've always been proud to shout from the rooftops that I'm a Leicester fan - but that day, I kept my shirt covered up: surrounded by the fans I hate the most, I was too embarrassed about how far my club had fallen that I was going to a 3rd tier match and had become a joke.

So 5 stinging memories of various points when we were sht. But if I had to pick one, it would be that last one: the 1 time in my life I hid being a Leicester fan. So in answer to the question, where was I when we were shit? - it was the 20th September 2008 & I was getting off a tube train at West Ham station.

Edited by Golden Fox
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

To be honest I was a ST holder for all the time we were shit. It’s only when we started getting really good that I didn’t attend regularly.

I feel your pain, me too. Gave up my season ticket in 2010 when I left Leicester. 

Clearly we weren't lucky mascots :(

The Rotherham debacle was boxing day 2004. I reminisce fondly every Christmas on that defeat ruining Christmas. 

• Like 1

Remember going to Roker park (sunderland for all the millennials) might be wrong but think it was 1-1 Graham Fenton scoring for us and being absolutely bloody freezing.

Also Tranmere away once, cant remember the score. Got very wet though on the open terrace.

• Like 1