Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City post Match thread

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

They've lost 4 all season... it's not that different when it's them. 

And only one of those at home. Was that Palace? ? 

Anyway it’s a bloody fortress now the Etihad.

Im not going to get dragged into a Puel debate with you but my point is the football we are playing now isn’t really comparable with the football under CP. 

• Like 1

I'm surprised people are knocking the tactics. We limited them to one world-class goal and created two good chances ourselves, one sitter. That's without much to really play for. And people underestimate just how good Man City are tactically and how hard they work.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sunbury Fox said:

A very creditable performance but I'm mildly disappointed that we didn't have more of a go as I really think we could have hurt them with more ambition and a higher press. 

This is definitely a fair point, but to put it into context Chelsea were one of the few teams that tried to play this way other than Liverpool and were absolutely smashed to pieces. I think Rodgers played it right, he would have improved the confidence of most of the team with this performance and it's a stepping stone toward the style of play he would ideally play. It would be very easy for such a young team to get lost in the occasion and end up being on the end of a demolition job. In the end, we provided a very decent account of ourselves even though the result was fair. The next time we play Man City will be an interesting game as we will be able to see how much progress, if any, we have made.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm surprised people are knocking the tactics. We limited them to one world-class goal and created two good chances ourselves, one sitter. That's without much to really play for. And people underestimate just how good Man City are tactically and how hard they work.

I think that might be the point, with nothing much to play for being a little bit more expansive would have been nice. But I'm sure everyone is aware there is a fine line with that, where you could end up getting battered. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is definitely a fair point, but to put it into context Chelsea were one of the few teams that tried to play this way other than Liverpool and were absolutely smashed to pieces. I think Rodgers played it right, he would have improved the confidence of most of the team with this performance and it's a stepping stone toward the style of play he would ideally play. It would be very easy for such a young team to get lost in the occasion and end up being on the end of a demolition job. In the end, we provided a very decent account of ourselves even though the result was fair. The next time we play Man City will be an interesting game as we will be able to see how much progress, if any, we have made.

I agree. I think they’d have picked us off if we’d pressed them higher up the pitch. The way we played really did frustrate them and limit them to shooting from range. Another day that finishes 1-0 to us. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I think the more we would of gone at them the more prone we would’ve been to the counter attack and more than likely let in another goal or two. Think Brendan got it spot on to be fair and we still had a couple of good chances to get a goal 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Clarkey123 said:

I think the more we would of gone at them the more prone we would’ve been to the counter attack and more than likely let in another goal or two. Think Brendan got it spot on to be fair and we still had a couple of good chances to get a goal 

I think we were pretty good when we were out of possession. But when we were in possession we passed it about between the back 4 and the keeper far too much, and invited Man City to press us high up the pitch and pin us deep in our half. Only a couple of times did we manage to play through their press, and when we did we looked dangerous. I appreciate it's not easy, but we didn't do it enough.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FIF said:

Vardy had over 90 minutes and didn't even create a shot, what I'm saying is that it isn't Iheanacho's fault that we lost the game.

He's hardly had any on-pitch time. Just a few minutes at the end of matches. His confidence is at a low, yet he still got himself into position to alter the game. 

Since we're talking about subs and scoring, what is the percentage of shots scored by subs? 100% or perhaps closer to 5%?

It's also worth mentioning that the chance was 0.28 xG. People score from that position just over a quarter of the time. It's being made out as if he missed an open goal with no defenders in it from a yard out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Leeds Fox said:

I agree. I think they’d have picked us off if we’d pressed them higher up the pitch. The way we played really did frustrate them and limit them to shooting from range. Another day that finishes 1-0 to us. 

1 hour ago, Clarkey123 said:

Yep, exactly what you two gents have said for me. 

If we always play this way against them then I would say it's too passive, but it takes time to build a style of play and ethos. Man City in Guardiola's first season had plenty of holes in their side - look at the way Vardy hit a hat trick against them on that rainy Saturday evening at the King Power. They pressed up too high and got caught out time and time again.

I have seen a big improvement in our team since Brendan took charge, and the football is much more exciting to watch. I'm not sure what level he can get us to in the end, but I am quietly confident that a top 7 position awaits us next season.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, wokinghamfox said:

Proud. One error for the goal, you always attack the ball in that situation.

Absolute worldy and looks even better on TV when you can see the swere. Most people around me were nodding and politely acknowledging a great goal. :appl:

But have to agree. Our MIDFIELDERS, madders and hamza notably, didnt get to him. He had far to much time. A team of Under 9's would have closed him down quicker than we did. 

But more than decent first half and the natives were certainly getting restless. Loved Harry's run, pity Madders didn't pick out Albrighton or put Vards in like at Chelsea.

Not too upset this am as don't  want scousers to win the league, but last night I so wanted us to score and shut the citizens up. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

With Kompany, he's the sort of player you'd usually stand off from. You'd rather people who aren't natural on the ball (ie. centre backs) have the ball instead of those who are more technically gifted.

You can't really prepare for something like that.

It’s a commonly used tactic, we played that way when we won the league. Limiting your opponents to crosses and long range shots is generally regarded as a solid way to defend and is more often than not a reliable tactic. 

The obvious drawback is the odd rocket that flies in and the defenders not being able to deal with the crosses. 

• Like 2

Once again Man City won the foul count. This time 11-5, despite Leicester only having 39% possession. They do this every week, impossible to break and build attacks because CHOP!  3 nasty ones tonight (why did Silva go unpunished for his second 'yellow'). Rarely the same offender, clever rotation - masters at it and at playing the referee. Unfortunately works in this league but not in the CL where they have to allow the opposition more of the ball as they can only regain possession legitimately. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

I think we were pretty good when we were out of possession. But when we were in possession we passed it about between the back 4 and the keeper far too much, and invited Man City to press us high up the pitch and pin us deep in our half. Only a couple of times did we manage to play through their press, and when we did we looked dangerous. I appreciate it's not easy, but we didn't do it enough.

The only thing that annoyed the hell outta me was Kasper to chilwell - chilwell header back to them, countless times 

Re-watching Iheanacho's chance, it looks a lot harder than "a sitter." That ball is coming from behind him and he tries to reach back for it and take it first time, which makes sense because he was sandwiched between two defenders, and he would have been closed down had he took an additional touch.  Vardy has scored a couple of those types of goals, and if anything, it proves just how class Vardy is, because it is so very difficult.

Edited by Detroit Blues

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I think that’s unfair on Brendan to call the performance Puel esque

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

Yeah... Puel beat them. lol

3 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

At the KP. Etihad is a different kettle of fish.

Lost 5-1 there last season of course...

35 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

With Kompany, he's the sort of player you'd usually stand off from. You'd rather people who aren't natural on the ball (ie. centre backs) have the ball instead of those who are more technically gifted.

You can't really prepare for something like that.

Bang on, 19/20 that flys into the stand and im pretty sure it was said Kompany  hasnt scored from outside the box in nearly 10years. Just their night in the end and in fairness the man city fans were a decent lot in comparison to some, can’t imagine getting the same treatment from the scousers in that situation

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FIF said:

Vardy had over 90 minutes and didn't even create a shot, what I'm saying is that it isn't Iheanacho's fault that we lost the game.

He's hardly had any on-pitch time. Just a few minutes at the end of matches. His confidence is at a low, yet he still got himself into position to alter the game. 

Since we're talking about subs and scoring, what is the percentage of shots scored by subs? 100% or perhaps closer to 5%?

It was a sitter. What does he do at training all week if he is not training. Sorry but really don't understand you rational mate. Sorry. He is just useless. One thing is if he had at least hit the target. Shot straight at the keeper. That I can understand but to miss by a country mile. No excuse. Also it was on his left foot. 

3 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Bang on. The one blot on Rodgers copy book was how he operates against teams way better than his, he seemed to refuse to account for how dangerous they are and would just try and bull doze them and get smashed themselves in the process. Puel already showed that this team could get results against the elite but that you had to find the balance between resolute defence and quick attacks, thankfully Rodgers has carried that on to an extent. We blew Arsenal away in the end but even if we put that game to one side what with them being down to 10 men and also being crap last night was a superb 1st half where we allowed them very little but also looked dangerous ourselves. 2nd half we were mediocre but still had 2 glorious chances and Man City had one Aguero chance and the goal in the 2nd half for all their possession and authority.

This is just the start for us, we are going to be some beast. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Babylon said:

I think that might be the point, with nothing much to play for being a little bit more expansive would have been nice. But I'm sure everyone is aware there is a fine line with that, where you could end up getting battered. 

Rodgers used to do that with teams and would often get battered, I know he got 2 results vs Man City when at Celtic but I think we did well last night, it's the right way to play against teams like that at their gaff. You have to balance out defending and trying to attack.