Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Man City post Match thread

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Another reason I don't mind Man City winning the league. I genuinely cannot think of a Liverpool player who would say this? 

(don't know why they filmed it sideways lol

He's always struck me as a really nice bloke

In a weird way I wanted us to lose last night, can't stand the thought of Liverpool winning the league. Can't wait for next season, just hope we can sign up Tielemans permanently and not lose any of our stars... Easier said than done, they've put in some great performances under Brendan

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, String fellow said:

What was so great about that goal? Nothing imo. Under no pressure whatsoever from our defenders, VK sliced it and it could have gone anywhere.

This is the kind of fearless, insightful analysis that I love this forum for!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

I'm sure this has been mentioned somewhere already, but why in the world did Rodgers sub off Tielemans and Maddison - the two guys who can create a goal out of nothing - and leave guys like Albrighton, Choudhury and Ndidi on the pitch?  Seemed like extremely odd moves given we were chasing 2 goals to have any chance at 7th.

...because they were knackered and struggling to cover the ground. Tielemans should have gone off way before he did. We needed Mendy.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ricey said:

...because they were knackered and struggling to cover the ground. Tielemans should have gone off way before he did. We needed Mendy.

Agreed he should have gone off way earlier but I was thinking he should have put one of the wingers on, just to offer more natural width and cover on the left.

11 hours ago, Buce said:

Lots of players come on as subs and score, FIF.

That was a glaring miss for a professional footballer to make.

11 hours ago, woznotwos said:

C'mon mate , One good chance and he made a hash of it , he's a striker ffs , couldn't even get it on target . 

Vardy had over 90 minutes and didn't even create a shot, what I'm saying is that it isn't Iheanacho's fault that we lost the game.

He's hardly had any on-pitch time. Just a few minutes at the end of matches. His confidence is at a low, yet he still got himself into position to alter the game. 

Since we're talking about subs and scoring, what is the percentage of shots scored by subs? 100% or perhaps closer to 5%?

Just now, FIF said:

Vardy had over 90 minutes and didn't even create a shot, what I'm saying is that it isn't Iheanacho's fault that we lost the game.

He's hardly had any on-pitch time. Just a few minutes at the end of matches. His confidence is at a low, yet he still got himself into position to alter the game. 

Since we're talking about subs and scoring, what is the percentage of shots scored by subs? 100% or perhaps closer to 5%?

Yes , but i was pissed up from the local last night and was looking for a scapegoat...

• Haha 1

I know in the second half we just sat in, (defended very well by the way) But in that first half we passed right through them a number of times, looked calm on the ball and actually confident when playing. Love to see it 

My two Man City mates said we were one of the best sides to come to the Etihad and actually managed to keep hold of the ball unlike most teams, were impressed that we filled all three away end tiers as well as a lot of teams don't especially mid-week.

• Like 3

Pep may have been a bit grumpy post match about us but very complimentary in the post match press conference 

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/they-up-there-pep-guardiola-2839185

Man City fans were very complimentary on the walk back to the car last night, didn’t think they were gonna find a way through us, every chance of top 6 next year etc. Let’s hope they are right! I’m proud of how we played last night, was more about the performance than the result for me last night 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Also I think it needs to be mentioned that Mike Dean had probably the best refereeing performance of the season. Didn't bow down to pressure once (when other refs may have done so).

This. Comes in for a lot of criticism but was brilliant last night. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Danizen said:

I don't blame our defence for the goal. Our system was based around our defensive shape and there's no way you break it to close down a CB who's about to take a 30 yard potshot. If Choudary had closed him down, space would have opened up for another, more dangerous Man City player and we would have probably still conceded.

Iheanacho, though...:mad:

This.

I remember thinking "go on, have a shot" just before Kompany hit it. 99% of the time that ball is an easy save or fired wide and high. If you look at the replay I can't blame any of our players for not breaking the defensive shape and letting a CB have a pot shot. 

If we get to 70 mins against a team like Man City who are desperate for a goal and their CB is having a pot shot that far out then we're doing something right. 

In a way it was a great game for us on so many levels. 

We get £5m from the Mahrez transfer if Man City win the league.

Tielemans didn't do anything spectacular.

We shown that we can compete with the very best sides in the world. With no European football next season we can potentially compete for 3rd/4th place next season if we have a good window and a bit of luck next season. 

1 hour ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Also I think it needs to be mentioned that Mike Dean had probably the best refereeing performance of the season. Didn't bow down to pressure once (when other refs may have done so).

Agreed. Got all of the key decisions right I'd say

- the Sterling/Evans 'handball' - ball ricochets on to Sterling's hand, then does the same on Evans

- the Choudhury/Chilwell challenge on Sterling - Hamza gets the ball first 

- David Silva - correct to give yellow, other fouls weren't bookable offences. Couple more fouls and he could have gone to be fair. 

They were the 3 that stand out? The only thing, and it's very minor in the grand context of it all, was the time-wasting. Schmeichel gets a talking to in the first half even though I don't think it was that bad? And then Man City take ages with corners and Aguero going off but nothing said. 

Overall when there's very little complaints about the referee and people are talking about the football itself i.e. how we restricted Man City, Kompany's goal etc then it speaks volumes. 

For all the criticism Mike Dean gets for whatever reasons, he refereed the game very well yesterday. Other refs as you say would have bowed under crowd pressure for sure for some decisions. 

• Like 3

I audibly uttered 'shoot' when Kompany picked up the ball outside our box, convinced he was gonna ping it into row Z :facepalm: A goal worthy of winning the league.

I thought there were a lot of positives to take from that performance and am really looking forward to next season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Agreed. Got all of the key decisions right I'd say

- the Sterling/Evans 'handball' - ball ricochets on to Sterling's hand, then does the same on Evans

- the Choudhury/Chilwell challenge on Sterling - Hamza gets the ball first 

- David Silva - correct to give yellow, other fouls weren't bookable offences. Couple more fouls and he could have gone to be fair. 

They were the 3 that stand out? The only thing, and it's very minor in the grand context of it all, was the time-wasting. Schmeichel gets a talking to in the first half even though I don't think it was that bad? And then Man City take ages with corners and Aguero going off but nothing said.  

Overall when there's very little complaints about the referee and people are talking about the football itself i.e. how we restricted Man City, Kompany's goal etc then it speaks volumes. 

For all the criticism Mike Dean gets for whatever reasons, he refereed the game very well yesterday. Other refs as you say would have bowed under crowd pressure for sure for some decisions. 

This was mentioned during the game as well but I assumed Mike Dean was talking to Schmeichel about dissent to linesman rather than time-wasting.

2 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

For me it was very much a Puel-esque performance against a top side. We look comfortable to a point, knock it around nicely at times but ran out of ideas and our midfield wasn't able to control the possession (not saying that is easy by the way against a phenomenal side) Subs were a little too late, we could have done with Gray/Barnes earlier so they could run with the ball and get us up the pitch. Vardy was playing central midfielder most of the game, running from side to side. Even if we did knick the ball we were unable to release him. Not suggesting it wasn't a good performance, defensively excellent but all criticisms labelled at Puel could be said about last night.

I see your point but I think that’s unfair on Brendan to call the performance Puel esque. We moved the ball with twice the speed and twice the accuracy and defended and broke up play against the best team in the land with the best press in the league and dealt with that by playing football.

Last night wasn't one to be beating up on Rodgers.

We were bombarded by a Man City onslaught in the 3rd quarter but at 0-0 Half time it was never going to be anything else. The stakes were too high for them.

Would have been interesting how we would get on had it been played back in March and there wasn't as much intensity from them.

12 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I see your point but I think that’s unfair on Brendan to call the performance Puel esque. We moved the ball with twice the speed and twice the accuracy and defended and broke up play against the best team in the land with the best press in the league and dealt with that by playing football.

Yeah... Puel beat them. lol

• Haha 2