Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Stevosevic

Summer 2019 Internationals

Personally I think Southgates has done the right thing here. Maddison would benefit more from a full tournament (assuming he’s in the team of course) than being on the bench for two internationals. 

Another thing... for too long, England have been trying to shoehorn in players with big names or popular with the public into a starting XI but the result was a collection of individuals. Southgate has created an England Team. As much as I want Maddison to be called up, especially as it would raise City’s profile and attract ambitious players to our club, Southgate is right to keep building our National Team

11 minutes ago, car1os said:

Personally I think Southgates has done the right thing here. Maddison would benefit more from a full tournament (assuming he’s in the team of course) than being on the bench for two internationals. 

Another thing... for too long, England have been trying to shoehorn in players with big names or popular with the public into a starting XI but the result was a collection of individuals. Southgate has created an England Team. As much as I want Maddison to be called up, especially as it would raise City’s profile and attract ambitious players to our club, Southgate is right to keep building our National Team

Southgate is caught between a rock and a hard place, on one hand he has done the right thing by leaving Maddison, Foden and a couple of other players to focus on winning the Euros for the U21's, however he's picked instead players woefully out of form or painfully short of fitness due to injuries and throw in the European finals the 4 PL teams are in and it's chaos. He's been shrewd calling up Ward-Prowse again and giving Redmond a chance as both have been brilliant in 2019.

In regards to the way he has left the U21's alone, I bet he wouldn't have left Hudson-Odoi out if he were fit, now I know he went from U20's straight in to the full team rather than show his worth for the U21's and therefore be " missed " this summer if Southgate were to have picked him, but it just shows the inconsistencies. Maddison has been criticized by our fans for large parts of this season but since Rodgers has come in and he's played in a midfield 3 rather than a 10, he's been unbelievable. Southgate was dismissing him because they don't play with a 10 any more but what excuse will he use in future?

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

It's brilliant how well his season went and that he acclimatised so quickly.

But you're missing the point that Southgate said he wasn't going to call anyone up from the u21s for the Nations league due to the u21 euros this summer.

As people have said already, a whole tournament with Maddison being one of the main players and an experienced head is probably a lot more beneficial than maybe 2 bit part games with the senior team.

I'm not sure it beneficial for his development, sometimes you out grow and age group, and I'd rather he had a rest during the summer than playing for the under 21's

Southgate is a big believer in the youth sides and gaining tournament experience at that level- I'm happy with him going to the U21 Euros to be honest.

On a separate note, I can't wait for the Nations League- we get to bring out the beers and BBBQs all over again on what should be a summer off. It's been a really good change to the international schedule!

10 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm not sure it beneficial for his development, sometimes you out grow and age group, and I'd rather he had a rest during the summer than playing for the under 21's

Playing in a competitive international tournament is 100% beneficial for him. Young players need to experience different situations in the game, and international tournament experience will help step up to the senior team and may help him develop as a player.

It's not always about the playing experience, he'll need to be a leader given his experience compared to other players who'll be called up. All this gives him the opportunity to develop as a player.

Benkovic called up to the Croatia senior squad for their Euro 2020 qualifier. Speaks very favourably about Celtic. Will probably still play in the Under 21s championship this summer. https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-transfer-news/flip-benkovic-thanks-celtic-croatia-16187912

Flip Benkovic thanks Celtic for Croatia call-up as he drops new hint over his future.

The on-loan Leicester centre-back has refused to rule out a return to Glasgow after Brendan Rodgers revealed he is happy to farm him out again.

Filip Benkovic insists his first-ever Croatia call-up is all down to Celtic.

The 21-year-old was this week named in the World Cup finalists' squad for their Euro 2020 qualifier with Wales and he will also play in this summer's European Under 21s Championship.

Benkovic has thanked Celtic for his development as the on-loan Leicester centre-back again refused to rule out a return to Glasgow next season.

And he admits he's desperate to make history on Saturday by helping Neil Lennon ’s side to Scottish football's first treble Treble.

Benkovic said: "It's a great honour for me to be included in the squad for the first time. I have no words to describe my happiness.

"I honestly believe there are other players who are more deserving of a call-up than me, but I have been waiting for my chance for a while.

"I've had a really successful year at Celtic and I have to thank them for the positive things they have done for me this year which has led to the call-up.

"I can't talk about what club I will be at next year because nothing is known yet and might not be for some time, probably only after all my international duties this summer.

"But all I can say is that I have really enjoyed my time at Celtic, I have had some great moments here, I have a successful season, enjoyed my football and I will never regret it.

"If we win the Scottish Cup on Saturday, we win not just the Treble, but all three trophies three years in a row for the first time in history.

"I'm proud of everything we've done this season in Celtic, I'm very pleased. And the invitation to the national team has crowned my season."

And for Benkovic, in an interview with local publication Sportske Novosti, the call-up comes a year since he gathered in Zagreb to welcome back the Croatian squad who came agonisingly close to winning the World Cup in Russia.
He recalled: "I went with my friends last summer to Ban Jelacic Square after the World Cup Final to welcome the squad.

"And it's really quite incredible that I am going to be a part of the same squad!
"Sometimes things happen in life when you least expect it.

"This summer there will be no rest for me because I have the Under 21s Euros and we have ambitions to win it.

"But I'm not bothered about the lack of rest. These are great challenges for me and I can't wait for them."

14 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Ricardo not in Portugal squad. I know he hasn't been involved in squads since the world cup but thought he would get a call up this time. Good for us though that he gets a prolonged rest.

Really strong depth for Portugal in that position, their loss is our gain!

1 hour ago, lgfualol said:

Would be pretty annoyed if we loan him out again, I think he will be a beast in the Prem. 

Me too.  Good enough to be selected for the last World Cup finalists but stuck behind Wes at LCFC?  Surely not.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't a Leicester specific question, but what's the deal about U-21 vs U-20.

The U-20 world cup is ongoing, and U-21 Euro qualification are about to begin. I understand there's obviously a years difference between eligibility, but it seems like there would be some overlap between the squads. Which squad gets the better players? Which competition is more important? Does it vary country to country throughout Europe? 

Edited by Detroit Blues

Thursday, June 6

Chilwell and Maguire − England v Netherlands − Nations League − 7.45 − Sky Sports Football

Friday, June 7

Schmeichel − Denmark v Republic of Ireland − Euro 2020 qualifying − 7.45 − Sky Sports Main Event

Saturday, June 8

Benkovic, Thomas and Ward − Croatia v Wales − Euro 202 qualifying − 2.0 − Sky Sports Football

Evans − Estonia v Northern Ireland − Euro 2020 qualifying − 5.0 − Sky Sports Football

Soyuncu − Turkey v France − Euro 2020 qualifying − 7.45 − Sky Sports Football

Sunday, June 9

Chilwell and Maguire − England v Switzerland or Portugal − Nations League − 2.0 or 7.45 − Sky Sports Football

Monday, June 10

Schmeichel − Denmark v Georgia − Euro 2020 qualifying − 7.45 − Sky Sports Red Button

Tuesday, June 11

Evans − Belarus v Northern Ireland − Euro 2020 qualifying − 7.45 − Sky Sports Premier League

Soyuncu − Iceland v Turkey − Euro 2020 qualifying − 7.45 − Sky Sports Red Button

Thomas and Ward − Hungary v Wales − Euro 2020 qualifying − 7.45 − Sky Sports Football

Tuesday, June 18

Pascanu and Benkovic − Romania U21 v Croatia U21 - Euro U21 Championship − 5.30

Barnes, Choudhury, Gray, Maddison − England U21 v France U21 − Euro U21 Championship − 8.0 − Sky Sports Football

Thomas Ouwejan and Rick Van Drongelen of the Netherlands compete for the ball with James Maddison of England during the 2019 UEFA European Under 21 Championship qualifying match

Friday, June 21

Barnes, Choudhury, Gray, Maddison and Pascanu − England U21 v Romania U21 − Euro U21 Championshp − 5.30 − Sky Sports Football

Benkovic − France U21 v Croatia U21 − Euro U21 Championship − 8.0 − Sky Sports Football

Muskwe − Egypt v Zimbabwe − Africa Cup of Nations − 9.0 − Eurosport

Saturday, June 22

Iheanacho and Ndidi − Nigeria v Burundi − Africa Cup of Nations − 6.0 − Eurosport

Sunday, June 23

Slimani − Algeria v Kenya − Africa Cup of Nations − 9.0 − Eurosport

Monday, June 24

Benkovic, Barnes, Choudhury, Gray and Maddison − Croatia U21 v England U21 − Euro U21 Championship − 8.0 − Sky Sports Football

Pascanu − France U21 v Romania U21 − Euro U21 Championship − 8.0 − Sky Sports Premier League

Wednesday, June 26

Iheanacho and Ndidi − Nigeria v Guinea − Africa Cup of Nations − 3.30 − Eurosport

Muskwe − Uganda v Zimbabwe − Africa Cup of Nations − 6.0 − Eurosport

Thursday, June 27

Slimani − Senegal v Algeria − Africa Cup of Nations − 6.0 − Eurosport

Thursday, June 27 − Sunday, June 30

Euro U21 Championships knockout rounds − Sky Sports

Sunday, June 30

Iheanacho and Ndidi − Madagascar v Nigeria − Africa Cup of Nations − 5.0 − Eurosport

Muskwe − Zimbabwe v Congo DR − Africa Cup of Nations − 8.0 − Eurosport

Monday, July 1

Slimani − Tanzania v Algeria − Africa Cup of Nations − 8.0 − Eurosport

Friday, July 5 − Friday, July 19

Africa Cup of Nations knockout rounds − Eurosport

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-watch-18-leicester-city-2935446

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 31/05/2019 at 15:09, Detroit Blues said:

This isn't a Leicester specific question, but what's the deal about U-21 vs U-20.

The U-20 world cup is ongoing, and U-21 Euro qualification are about to begin. I understand there's obviously a years difference between eligibility, but it seems like there would be some overlap between the squads. Which squad gets the better players? Which competition is more important? Does it vary country to country throughout Europe? 

European teams have always carried an Under 21s team whilst the rest of the world was Under 20s. No idea why. 

England currently have a Under 20s team playing in the Toulon tournament in France. It's pretty much the Under 19s team with a few additions. 

3 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

European teams have always carried an Under 21s team whilst the rest of the world was Under 20s. No idea why. 

England currently have a Under 20s team playing in the Toulon tournament in France. It's pretty much the Under 19s team with a few additions. 

That makes sense. Thank you for the clarification.

I agree with those on here who think putting Maddison in the U21 (along with Gray/Hamza) is actually a good move. not only will this give him (and the others) some real tournament experience which could be invaluable come the next Euros but I also think that it is great man management.  Talented although he undoubtedly is, there have been times when I think he, like many other youngsters in all walks of life, has been guilty of thinking that he is the dogs b*ll*cks and this should be a reminder to him to keep his feet on the ground, not believe in all the hype and that any rewards and accolades that may come his way have to be earnt by grafting and being willing to learn.

Plus for us there is the added advantage that he will be less talked about than he would be in the senior squad. I can just see every time the nations cup squad is read out on tv Fanny Mills telling the world that he is "too good for Leicester" and how he should be signing for Liverpool along with youri while Harry and Chillers need to go to Man utd/city.

Shinji is back! He came on for the last ten minutes of the Copa America game v Chile (Japan are one of the invited nations). Chile won 4-0.

It was a bit of a surprise when he was included in the squad - he hadn't been called up since the World Cup a year ago.

He's still listed as a Leicester player in the tournament squad lists despite being released by the club. Maybe someone with more knowledge than me can confirm whether or not he's still officially a Leicester player. 

Today was cap number 117 and hopefully he'll get a chance to start in the games coming up against Uruguay and Ecuador.

• Like 1

Uruguay 2 Japan 2    Shinji played the whole game and looked really sharp, playing up front in his favourite position and giving Godin and Bentancur no end of trouble.  He was looking a bit tired towards the end but then I can't remember tthe last time he played 90 minutes in a competitive game. Any clubs thinking of signing him can only have been impressed. 

Japan have one more game v Ecuador and have a decent chance of making it through to the knockout stage. 

• Like 3