Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Rivals

Rivals  

452 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider to be our biggest rivals

Traditionally, it's Forest first followed by Derby, but they're years away from being our "rivals" in the truest sense.

Even if Derby come up, our aspirations next season will be very different. Forest are irrelevant in a footballing sense.

The reality is that we've outgrown our traditional regional rivaries. It's quite conceivable that we'll never play Coventry again, let alone compete on a level playing field, and we're well ahead in the East Midlands. Short of enormous investment or unforeseen success on their part or a decline on our part, it's likely that we'll be devoid of any real rivaries for some time.

Let Forest and Derby indulge themselves in a weird love-in they think is El Clásico but is completely ignored outside of the East Midlands. We've bigger fish to fry.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Traditionally, it's Forest first followed by Derby, but they're years away from being our "rivals" in the truest sense.

Even if Derby come up, our aspirations next season will be very different. Forest are irrelevant in a footballing sense.

The reality is that we've outgrown our traditional regional rivaries. It's quite conceivable that we'll never play Coventry again, let alone compete on a level playing field, and we're well ahead in the East Midlands. Short of enormous investment or unforeseen success on their part or a decline on our part, it's likely that we'll be devoid of any real rivaries for some time.

Let Forest and Derby indulge themselves in a weird love-in they think is El Clásico but is completely ignored outside of the East Midlands. We've bigger fish to fry.

I completely agree with this.

I've always found the Derby/Forest rivalry a bizarre, needy, love/hate relationship in a way that suggests that neither could exist without each other. I think it makes both sets of fans feel bigger and more important than they really are and they haven't yet realised that nobody in the rest of the world is actually watching.

In my experience Forest fans think that Leicester fans are obsessed with trying to create a rivalry with them that doesn't exist. When, in reality, if that's at all true it pales into insignificance with the  obsession of Forest fans to tell everyone who'll listen that they only care about a fellow perennial Championship club called Derby County.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Their support at home was shit before this regime. 

Sold out Ricoh twice in my memory; a Cup game against Chelsea and a sodding Football League Trophy area final against Crewe. 

Remember when we took 5k for an opening day game and their home end was barely half full. 

Even at Highfield Road, it was only sold out for the top clubs. 

Which they lost 0-3 lol 

Anyone remember the second leg of that where they won 0-2 and you had one of their fans ringing up totally unaware they'd won 0-2, he thought they drew 0-0 lol he'd been to the game as well.

5 hours ago, Manini said:

Hasn’t this regime been ongoing since the Ricoh though? That’s what I meant. They used to get fairly good attendances at HR didn’t they? 

Same owners but they weren’t boycotting. They were all about operation premiership. 

Between 1996 and 2001, they were averaging crowds at 3k below the capacity of Highfield Road.

These drooped to 14k to 16k when they got relegated. 

Considering Coventry have the pickings from town such as Leamington, Stratford, Kenilworth, Warwick and Nuneaton. Their crowds are so poor for that catchment area. 

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Same owners but they weren’t boycotting. They were all about operation premiership. 

Between 1996 and 2001, they were averaging crowds at 3k below the capacity of Highfield Road.

These drooped to 14k to 16k when they got relegated. 

Considering Coventry have the pickings from town such as Leamington, Stratford, Kenilworth, Warwick and Nuneaton. Their crowds are so poor for that catchment area. 

Warwickshire is all Villa , despite Coventry being the county town.

Cov really don’t have a catchment area 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, What the Fuchs? said:

Let’s go all out for Coventry so we can be the Newcastle to their Sunderland, and the Southampton to their Portsmouth, though much better of course ?

I’d often said that if LCFC fans were really bothered about a rivalry then one with Coventry would probably be more reciprocated. I’ve met a few Cov fans and they all tend to not have much love for us.

Problem with that is that it feels a bit like kicking a puppy at the moment! 

On 15/05/2019 at 20:33, StanSP said:

Forest. Even then it's barely a rivalry though.

The 'rivalry' with Spurs is a bit misguided. It's more towards the 'banter' (hate that word). 

Wouldn't call it a rivalry at all with Spurs actually. They don't hate us like they hate Arsenal (a proper rivalry). Majority of Spurs fans I know can look back on 15/16 season and be happy for us and realise they were never really in the title race for the last couple of months of that season. Annoys me seeing so many fans get worked up when Spurs do anything good or bad.

I've never met a spurs fan that was happy for us, most I've met were salty about it and said we were lucky.....I have a hatred for them but TBF I did spend far too much time reading the fighting cock during the winning season.

• Haha 1

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2019 at 14:51, Manini said:

I’ve just looked and how funny is it that the record attendance at the Ricoh is for the Tigers lol 

I think King Power record attendance was also for a Tigers rugger match (no segregation in force).

…. or it might be the Kasabian gig :rolleyes:

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

I think King Power record attendance was also for a Tigers rugger match (no segregation in force).

…. or it might be the Kasabian gig :rolleyes:

It’s not the fact it’s rugby. It’s the fact that it’s to watch a Leicester team 

On 23/05/2019 at 22:07, MattFox said:

Warwickshire is all Villa , despite Coventry being the county town.

Cov really don’t have a catchment area 

Working in Cov I learnt alot of people who live there don't recognise being part of Warwickshire it's always "west midlands crap" but that's topic for another day.