Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Rivals

Rivals  

452 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider to be our biggest rivals

6 hours ago, Stadt said:

Do you think Portsmouth and Southampton is an irrelevant Derby because they haven’t played each other in a while? Or West Ham and Millwall? 

They should be. What's at stake? I doubt West ham or Southampton fans actually give a sh**t. The only time it would concern me was if Forest and Derby  were in the same league. Currently they're nobody's.  

Edited by CyprusFox

On 08/06/2019 at 06:11, Markyblue said:

That is so true. Go abroad and everyone knows us for the greatest sports achievement ever and sadly vichais death. Forest are becoming a distant memory to people and they just don't know who derby are they honestly think horse race. Rivals nah.

On a wider note, the 'EPL' as akin to the NFL....people from Nairobi, Tokyo, Vienna etc etc casually follow the teams and we are a regular 'name' like Cleveland Browns or Denver Broncos in this same cities.

If you ain't in the EPL, to the rest of the world, you may as well not exist.

Having an iconic player such as Jamie Vardy certainly helps our profile every bit as much as the title win (kids soon forget the title win). 

• Like 1

On 23/05/2019 at 22:07, MattFox said:

Warwickshire is all Villa , despite Coventry being the county town.

Cov really don’t have a catchment area 

I live near Rugby which is in Warwickshire, and you will be surprised just how many Leicester fans live there, rarely see any Villa fans

Guest Markyblue
9 hours ago, majaco said:

I hate Coventry.  Bit of a waste as they are irrelevant.

Heard they are changing the city bit to nomads.not even the biggest club in a city with one football team, takes some doing that.

20 hours ago, Chiltern Fox said:

I was surrounded by forest fans in junior school in loughborough. They argued that the city ground was closer than filbert st, and thus should support forest. B8llocks I thought. So, any rivalry I have is with them.

So most of them now are probably Man Utd fans .....

7 minutes ago, TonyN11 said:

So most of them now are probably Man Utd fans .....

Or Leicester, I know a couple of childhood forest fans who are now season ticket holders down City, I always have a smirk when we talk because of the stick I used to give them, they know it and are just glad I don’t out them lol 

I also know a number of childhood liverpool and man u fans who now support us. They’ve grown up at last lol 

It was forest starting this we don't care about leicester a few year back. Forests black and white bum boys started following suit.

Think it's more they younger fans. 

Anyone remember that annoying chant that forest sang all the time. We hate derby, we hate leicester! that's the only words to it. And they sang it all the time during the 90s 00s

On 27/06/2019 at 12:58, Stadt said:

Do you think Portsmouth and Southampton is an irrelevant Derby because they haven’t played each other in a while? Or West Ham and Millwall? 

No, I'm saying that the bad blood between us is probably over-hyped to begin with. If we drew Forest in the cup, the atmosphere would be nowhere near as febrile as the two fixtures you've listed. I honestly expect more bad blood at our game with Sheffield United next month - they're still insanely bitter about the administration thing in '03, and for some reason they also seem to lump that hatred in with the completely unrelated Tevez affair, like missing out on promotion in '02-03 was the starting point for their prolonged downfall despite them getting promoted after the fact. Thanks to Warnock for that legacy, I guess, should make for an exciting game.

What have we got with Forest that's comparable since we were last both in the top flight together? That end-of-season game at the City Ground, with a play-off place on the line for both teams, is the only match against Forest in recent times that I can say was truly emotionally charged. Otherwise, to call it a tame rivalry would be an understatement. At a real stretch, I guess you could include our tussles in '09-10 - a 5-1 loss at their place and 3-0 win at ours while we were both pushing for the playoffs, but I was at both and don't remember the atmosphere being particularly charged. The 3-0 win felt a little bit like revenge at the time, but I think it ended up being blown out of proportion with some wheeler-dealers in our fanbase going as far as to print cringe-ey DVDs of the match, like it was a cup-final and not a relative dead-rubber that didn't change either club's trajectory, not least since we both blew the chance of what would have been an admittedly massive playoff final in our respective semis. I might be sat here now with a completely different view if that match-up had happened, regardless of who had won. But it didn't, and our clubs have been on different trajectories ever since.

God, I'm glad we're past that point - the "rivalry" during those doldrum years between '04 and '14 was tinpot to be frank. I can go for the Schadenfreude when Forest lose, but I'd be lying to myself if I said I was really all that bothered about them.

As an aside, I've been praying for West Ham to get Millwall at home in the cup since they moved into the London Stadium. As a taxpayer and subsidiser of them getting a national stadium we all own on the cheap from the government, I believe I'm within my right to want to see them tear the seats out and steal the corner flags... wait, never mind, the Hammers already did that. :fishing:

Edited by OntarioFox

58 minutes ago, OntarioFox said:

No, I'm saying that the bad blood between us is probably over-hyped to begin with. If we drew Forest in the cup, the atmosphere would be nowhere near as febrile as the two fixtures you've listed. I honestly expect more bad blood at our game with Sheffield United next month - they're still insanely bitter about the administration thing in '03, and for some reason they also seem to lump that hatred in with the completely unrelated Tevez affair, like missing out on promotion in '02-03 was the starting point for their prolonged downfall despite them getting promoted after the fact. Thanks to Warnock for that legacy, I guess, should make for an exciting game.

What have we got with Forest that's comparable since we were last both in the top flight together? That end-of-season game at the City Ground, with a play-off place on the line for both teams, is the only match against Forest in recent times that I can say was truly emotionally charged. Otherwise, to call it a tame rivalry would be an understatement. At a real stretch, I guess you could include our tussles in '09-10 - a 5-1 loss at their place and 3-0 win at ours while we were both pushing for the playoffs, but I was at both and don't remember the atmosphere being particularly charged. The 3-0 win felt a little bit like revenge at the time, but I think it ended up being blown out of proportion with some wheeler-dealers in our fanbase going as far as to print cringe-ey DVDs of the match, like it was a cup-final and not a relative dead-rubber that didn't change either club's trajectory, not least since we both blew the chance of what would have been an admittedly massive playoff final in our respective semis. I might be sat here now with a completely different view if that match-up had happened, regardless of who had won. But it didn't, and our clubs have been on different trajectories ever since.

God, I'm glad we're past that point - the "rivalry" during those doldrum years between '04 and '14 was tinpot to be frank. I can go for the Schadenfreude when Forest lose, but I'd be lying to myself if I said I was really all that bothered about them.

As an aside, I've been praying for West Ham to get Millwall at home in the cup since they moved into the London Stadium. As a taxpayer and subsidiser of them getting a national stadium we all own on the cheap from the government, I believe I'm within my right to want to see them tear the seats out and steal the corner flags... wait, never mind, the Hammers already did that. :fishing:

You really think us vs Sheffield United will be more intense than us playing Forest:blink:?

• Like 1

Guest Cujek

Dunno why people vote for forest

1 they don't care about us, like at all, they only care a about Derby. 

2 they are so irrelevant to us at this point it seems a bit silly calling them rivals. 

I miss our Coventry rivalry, it was always the first fixture I looked for now and I am really sad how they have ended up. 

Still hate the Cov wankers though 

Edited by Cujek

quite surprised that forest are so far ahead in the poll, when I was growing up it was always derby, is the forest thing more for the youngun's?  Or do you think that different areas of Leicestershire is the reason for different rivals?  I live near the Derbyshire border so maybe that's why it always seemed to be derby as main rivals, never knew many forest fans around here.

• Like 1

Guest Cujek
3 minutes ago, purpleronnie said:

quite surprised that forest are so far ahead in the poll, when I was growing up it was always derby, is the forest thing more for the youngun's?  Or do you think that different areas of Leicestershire is the reason for different rivals?  I live near the Derbyshire border so maybe that's why it always seemed to be derby as main rivals, never knew many forest fans around here.

I live in hinckley and its Cov are the main team to hate around here. 

Never really cares about forest at all and Derby I dislike just because. 

12 minutes ago, Cujek said:

Dunno why people vote for forest

1 they don't care about us, like at all, they only care a about Derby. 

2 they are so irrelevant to us at this point it seems a bit silly calling them rivals. 

I miss our Coventry rivalry, it was always the first fixture I looked for now and I am really sad how they have ended up. 

Still hate the Cov wankers though 

Think you've answered your own question in your latter post. 

If you're Hinckley based/brought up in that area then you're likely to have a stronger dislike of Coventry. Anyone in Loughborough or heading in that direction will likely be the same with Forest.

Personally I cannot stand Forest, far more than any of the others. It's the arrogance of them, they genuinely think they are still a huge force and that Liverpool fans below the age of 60 dislike them because of their historic rivalry. I also remember their fans spitting/throwing objects into the away end after a 2-2 draw years ago, think Connolly equalised quite late on. They are just an allround horrible bunch. The 5-1 game at the City Ground remains one of my worst memories supporting us too, and the 2-2 from being 2-0 up under Sven (I think) and the Chris Weale 3-2 all at the same place were dreadful too. Derby on the otherhand have been routine victories almost every time, which sort of takes away a certain amount of ill feeling. I still don't like Derby or Cov, but Forest is the standout, personally.

I am however most confused by those voting Burton Albion (!?) 

• Like 1

The fact that we need to have a debate about who our biggest rivals are should say everything we need to know. We don’t have any direct rivalry with a single club in the same way that Derby/Forest have. 

With Derby/Forest it’s an important part of their identity. I think it makes their fans feel like they support a big club and that their rivalry is important. Now this may have been true in the late seventies when Derby had recently won 2 league titles and  Forest were winning theirs before going on to European success.

The thing is that football fans are notoriously slow to move on. Derby/Forest still think that excluding us from their rivalry is an expression of their “big-ness” compared to them. The fact that neither have competed meaningfully in the top division this century is conveniently forgotten - as is the fact that we’ve more recently won 2 league cups and the league title. 

Being excluded from their rivalry is now a bit like us saying we only care about Peterborough. They are yet to move on, but the rest of the world has. From a geographical perspective a rivalry with these clubs makes sense, but from a football perspective it makes none. 

We don't have a football rivalry in the same sense and we shouldn’t covet it. We should aim only for more success and plenty of football rivalries will be formed along the way. 

Edited by Jobyfox
  • Like 3

Guest Cujek
16 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Think you've answered your own question in your latter post. 

If you're Hinckley based/brought up in that area then you're likely to have a stronger dislike of Coventry. Anyone in Loughborough or heading in that direction will likely be the same with Forest.

Personally I cannot stand Forest, far more than any of the others. It's the arrogance of them, they genuinely think they are still a huge force and that Liverpool fans below the age of 60 dislike them because of their historic rivalry. I also remember their fans spitting/throwing objects into the away end after a 2-2 draw years ago, think Connolly equalised quite late on. They are just an allround horrible bunch. The 5-1 game at the City Ground remains one of my worst memories supporting us too, and the 2-2 from being 2-0 up under Sven (I think) and the Chris Weale 3-2 all at the same place were dreadful too. Derby on the otherhand have been routine victories almost every time, which sort of takes away a certain amount of ill feeling. I still don't like Derby or Cov, but Forest is the standout, personally.

I am however most confused by those voting Burton Albion (!?) 

I to am confused about Burton, I actually kind of like them and went to see them a lot as they progressed through the league pyramid