Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Rivals

Rivals  

452 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider to be our biggest rivals

36 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Personally I cannot stand Forest, far more than any of the others. It's the arrogance of them, they genuinely think they are still a huge force and that Liverpool fans below the age of 60 dislike them because of their historic rivalry. I also remember their fans spitting/throwing objects into the away end after a 2-2 draw years ago, think Connolly equalised quite late on. They are just an allround horrible bunch. The 5-1 game at the City Ground remains one of my worst memories supporting us too, and the 2-2 from being 2-0 up under Sven (I think) and the Chris Weale 3-2 all at the same place were dreadful too. Derby on the otherhand have been routine victories almost every time, which sort of takes away a certain amount of ill feeling. I still don't like Derby or Cov, but Forest is the standout, personally.

It's the same here growing up in the City. Regional media such as the radio and TV were bigger during childhood; even when all three clubs were at the same tier, it was Forest who were the lead story. 

This peaked when we drew 2-2, a week after administration and such were the celebrations/venom when Jack Lester scored, that anyone who says Forest don't care are lying. After the game, the comments from their fans were over the top hence when we won the home fixture a few months later it was billed as a big win. 

A year or two later Forest turned up at home and rolled us over easy, I think the season when you mention the Connolly game......again celebrations were way, way over the top. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Jobyfox said:

The fact that we need to have a debate about who our biggest rivals are should say everything we need to know. We don’t have any direct rivalry with a single club in the same way that Derby/Forest have. 

With Derby/Forest it’s an important part of their identity. I think it makes their fans feel like they support a big club and that their rivalry is important. Now this may have been true in the late seventies when Derby had recently won 2 league titles and  Forest were winning theirs before going on to European success.

The thing is that football fans are notoriously slow to move on. Derby/Forest still think that excluding us from their rivalry is an expression of their “big-ness” compared to them. The fact that neither have competed meaningfully in the top division this century is conveniently forgotten - as is the fact that we’ve more recently won 2 league cups and the league title. 

Being excluded from their rivalry is now a bit like us saying we only care about Peterborough. They are yet to move on, but the rest of the world has. From a geographical perspective a rivalry with these clubs makes sense, but from a football perspective it makes none. 

We don't have a football rivalry in the same sense and we shouldn’t covet it. We should aim only for more success and plenty of football rivalries will be formed along the way. 

I agree...but because football is what it is...I can see We & Wolves,will be comparing each....Two of the biggest Midlands clubs presently..

42 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

I agree...but because football is what it is...I can see We & Wolves,will be comparing each....Two of the biggest Midlands clubs presently..

Indeed. I think I posted earlier in this thread that Wolves are the closest thing we have to a rival in football terms.

There is no historical connection but:

Similar size

Similar ambition

Wealthy owners

Midlands based

Both with aspirations to get into top six

You can’t just invent passion and rivalry, but I can envisage that we might be getting in each other’s way in the next few seasons. 

• 2 weeks later...
13 hours ago, H.a.r.r.y said:

723828902_Screenshot2019-07-16at23_50_44.png.b610df6f034743dbaa78ff40c087ad0d.png

See, that sums up my own view of Derby. Until we're actually playing one another, when it's war, I've no particular beef with them - hell, even something of a camaraderie when it comes to collectively laughing at the long-running pantomime over at the City Ground. :ph34r:

I guess I base that on having friends that are Derby fans though. I don't have any Forest supporting mates, but one Notts County fan has found his way into the mix, so there's nothing but  a shared derision from those around me towards the trees. :giggle:

• 2 weeks later...

Wolves and Leicester currently, will be bashing heads as they compete for the top 6. 

However, whilst Villa aren’t considered to be in the mix. They do actually look half decent. 

46 minutes ago, Sly said:

Wolves and Leicester currently, will be bashing heads as they compete for the top 6. 

However, whilst Villa aren’t considered to be in the mix. They do actually look half decent. 

refer to Fulham last season....too much transfer activity. Which games are your "half decent" assessment based on?

Not sure if this has already been said, but, our songbook when I used to go was all about hating Forest

If I had the wings of an Eagle

tip toe through the Trent end

Blue flag

We hate Nottingham Forest 

and many many more 

I only remember there’s a circus in the town about Derby.

As proved in the Fosse thread my memory isn’t what it used to be, can anyone add any more to these?

Do we have a classic songs thread before I start a new one.

Spurs for me, nothing geographical about it obviously i just dont like them and there delusional fans. Plus they seem to have the edge over us since we won the title in our games against them an that doesnt sit well with me.

Dont get me wrong i like to laugh at forest each week and living in Loughborough there are many  victims who choose to support them so theres always banter and rivalry, my partner being one of them ....which is why shes my partner and not my wife.....My son however although only 2 has been well an truly indoctrinated into the lcfc way and is aware even at this young age that his mother requires therapy...

• Like 1

On 28/07/2019 at 12:12, norwichfox said:

refer to Fulham last season....too much transfer activity. Which games are your "half decent" assessment based on?

Likewise the people writing them off when they've probably never seen their new players actually play.

I don't mind Wolves - they're in that kind of Watford * bracket for me of a relatively inoffensive club that's part of the town's fabric - plus, it's kind of easy to wind them up by labelling them as part of the large city directly south of them. :whistle: 

Villa fans are an odd bunch on the other hand, always been in that Forest / Sheff Wednesday bracket of thinking they're a more prestigious club than they actually are, and being one of the rougher suburbs of Birmingham they have their fair share of general arse 'ole fans.

I will, however, concede that unlike the other two clubs listed, they have graced the top flight in living memory. :ph34r:

* As for Watford, "Deeney Day" and their bell-end mascot are pretty much the only reason anyone could actually have any beef with them. The former was just one of those crazy moments - I don't really blame them for milking it. As for "Harry The Hornet", him being the world's most punchable mascot is universal to all rival fans.
 :nigel:

Edited by OntarioFox

7 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Not sure if this has already been said, but, our songbook when I used to go was all about hating Forest

If I had the wings of an Eagle

tip toe through the Trent end

Blue flag

We hate Nottingham Forest 

and many many more 

I only remember there’s a circus in the town about Derby.

As proved in the Fosse thread my memory isn’t what it used to be, can anyone add any more to these?

Do we have a classic songs thread before I start a new one.

"When you're tired and weary, you're heart will skip a beat,

You'll get your ….ing heads kicked in if you walk down Filbert Street,

If you walk into the Spion Kop, you'll hear a mighty roar

...k off you Forest B'stards, we are the Leicester Boys"

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I find Watford just about the most inoffensive club in the Premier League. Possibly them or Southampton.

Watford are a funny one, thought there might be a rivalry with them after Deeney Day, etc but if anything its mutual respect between us and them for being two half decent premier league teams.

5 hours ago, OntarioFox said:

I don't mind Wolves - they're in that kind of Watford * bracket for me of a relatively inoffensive club that's part of the town's fabric - plus, it's kind of easy to wind them up by labelling them as part of the large city directly south of them. :whistle: 

Villa fans are an odd bunch on the other hand, always been in that Forest / Sheff Wednesday bracket of thinking they're a more prestigious club than they actually are, and being one of the rougher suburbs of Birmingham they have their fair share of general arse 'ole fans.

I will, however, concede that unlike the other two clubs listed, they have graced the top flight in living memory. :ph34r:

* As for Watford, "Deeney Day" and their bell-end mascot are pretty much the only reason anyone could actually have any beef with them. The former was just one of those crazy moments - I don't really blame them for milking it. As for "Harry The Hornet", him being the world's most punchable mascot is universal to all rival fans.
 :nigel:

They are though. Way bigger than clubs like Forest and Wednesday. And played in the top flight for a very long time (I think only about 10 years off of Everton). As I said before I don't really like Villa but it's good to have them back in the PL. Proper ground and good away day too.

Edited by Fox92

49 minutes ago, Fox92 said:

They are though. Way bigger than clubs like Forest and Wednesday. And played in the top flight for a very long time (I think only about 10 years off of Everton). As I said before I don't really like Villa but it's good to have them back in the PL. Proper ground and good away day too.

Villa in 9th place in the Premier League era.

https://www.statbunker.com/alltimestats/AllTimeLeagueTable?comp_code=EPL

• 6 months later...