Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sly

Rivals

Rivals  

452 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you consider to be our biggest rivals

Someone pointed out that it has to do with league position too. If Derby come up, there'll be some needle as there was with Forest during the 09/10 and 12/13 when we were battling it out with them to make the play-offs.

For years, games against Derby have been a no-contest.

Given they're nearest, I tend to think Coventry ought to be our natural rivals. But I know most of our fans view Forest as the main irritant.

While I feel there is more bite to our contests against the other East Midlands clubs, I don't think those fixtures really compare to other rivalries in this country. 

Edited by Harry - LCFC

Guest bss9401

Mine are Cov, Forest and Derby in no particular order. People always insist that there should be only one but when asked I answer that it is genuinely all three, given that I was brought up an equal distance from all of them. Historically it was Notts ;) Forest because of the simplicity of the direct trains and buses and that we are fairly close in terms of catchment size. 

Doesn’t a rivalry have to be a two way thing, forest and derby hate each other, they aren’t bothered about us, probably except we are currently better than them at present.

Cov hates us, we hate them, it always kicks off, they are probably our rivals, but it’s forgotten because they disappeared for so long, would be nice to get them in the cup though.

Depending on you age, Chelsea is a two way rivalry as well, and for me that’s it.

On 22/05/2019 at 09:26, Monsell1976 said:

Doesn’t a rivalry have to be a two way thing, forest and derby hate each other, they aren’t bothered about us, probably except we are currently better than them at present.

Cov hates us, we hate them, it always kicks off, they are probably our rivals, but it’s forgotten because they disappeared for so long, would be nice to get them in the cup though.

Depending on you age, Chelsea is a two way rivalry as well, and for me that’s it.

Seem to remember 70/80's the sheep and the trees hated us. Since they started that silly cup/love in they claim they don't care. 

But to me they do care. By claiming they don't it winds up our fans. Draw either in the cup and you will see they care. 

2 hours ago, melrose said:

Coventry have a decent following away from home

They do have a decent fan base to be honest. I think a lot just boycot the current regime at home. You walk around Cov city centre (I have to I don’t choose to) and still see plenty of Sky Blue. 

Edited by Manini

It is genuinely mental how much crap has gone on at Coventry and for how long. Building the Ricoh was a disaster. I'm too young to have done Highfield Road but that wasn't even a bad sized ground was it? In a far better location too. It's madness that they moved.

On 22/05/2019 at 08:26, Monsell1976 said:

Depends who you talk to and where in the county you're from, they personally never bothered me. Was in a pub in Lille in Euro 2016 and we were stood chatting with a few Cov fans. All were sound apart from one lad who refused to talk to us and kept staring us out, even though his lot were telling him he was being a bellend. Eventually my mate got sick of it and told him if he didn't want to speak to fans from other parts of England, he shouldn't have fvcking come to France. Anyway, after telling him I rated their away support and that I liked The Specials the miserable cvnt cheered up and spoke to us.

Of Forest, Derby and them I will say they always have the best away end at our place. Whereas I think in general our away ends are more "up for" Forest and Derby than Coventry.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

It is genuinely mental how much crap has gone on at Coventry and for how long. Building the Ricoh was a disaster. I'm too young to have done Highfield Road but that wasn't even a bad sized ground was it? In a far better location too. It's madness that they moved.

Geography wise better but the absolute pits of an area. The Ricoh has been a right death knell mind 

On 22/05/2019 at 09:26, Monsell1976 said:

I wasn't even aware Coventry was regarded as a rivalry until I was about 16/17

We’d get 30,000 for a Saturday 3pm home game in the championship against Forest and they’d fill the away end at the KP

Likewise they’d sell the city ground out for a Saturday 3pm game against us

Coventry rarely sold the full allocation at the KP despite us taking thousands their and we’d never get 30,000 against them in the championship 

Firstly it’s all the teams in the premier league because their the ones we need to get points off ,then more closely it’s the teams around us in our league position who we are either trying to catch or keep ahead of. Finally it’s our fellow East Midlands clubs who after a long suffering past we can give them a cursory glance or comment that lets them know that at this period of time they are simply not in our class .

3 minutes ago, MattFox said:

We’d get 30,000 for a Saturday 3pm home game in the championship against Forest and they’d fill the away end at the KP

Likewise they’d sell the city ground out for a Saturday 3pm game against us

Coventry rarely sold the full allocation at the KP despite us taking thousands their and we’d never get 30,000 against them in the championship 

I remember the last time they came to us It definitely wasn’t a sell out. They didn’t bring loads either tbh. We were both atrocious at the time though which probably factored in slightly 

1 hour ago, Langston said:

Geography wise better but the absolute pits of an area. The Ricoh has been a right death knell mind 

Think the geography of it probably matters more though. The Ricoh is genuinely annoying to access if you don't drive, it's probably equal to our ground being at Fosse Park, possibly even worse.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Manini said:

They do have a decent fan base to be honest. I think a lot just boycot the current regime at home. You walk around Cov city centre (I have to I don’t choose to) and still see plenty of Sky Blue. 

Their support at home was shit before this regime. 

Sold out Ricoh twice in my memory; a Cup game against Chelsea and a sodding Football League Trophy area final against Crewe. 

Remember when we took 5k for an opening day game and their home end was barely half full. 

Even at Highfield Road, it was only sold out for the top clubs. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

Just now, Cardiff_Fox said:

Their support at home was shit before this regime. 

Sold out Ricoh twice in my memory; a Cup game against Chelsea and a sodding Football League Trophy area final against Crewe. 

Remember when we took 5k for an opening day game and their home end was barely half full. 

Hasn’t this regime been ongoing since the Ricoh though? That’s what I meant. They used to get fairly good attendances at HR didn’t they?