Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

Guarantee had they not celebrated they'd be criticising them for not caring.

As long as they weren't goading the opponent, what's the problem? If I was a player who'd lost 13-0, the last thing I'd be bothered about was somebody wildly celebrating the 11th goal.

32 minutes ago, Corky said:

Number 24 on the list of things that people get pointlessly annoyed about.

Well, considering the panel is four women with three of them being former players for the Canadian team it wasn't that surprising they had something to say on it.

It's a bitter rivalry. 

More on the bitter than the rivalry, since we've faced the US team 59 times and we've won 3 times lol

9 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Wonder if the Thais will take any positives out of that ..?

I read somewhere they only had 1k professional footballers so

no wonder there was such a gulf in class ..

Up till tonight most of the games appear to have been close and competitive.

I'm sure I heard yesterday that none of their players are professionals. The Thai keeper was only 5"5 as well, was always going to struggle.

It was nice to see USA keep going for it, much like Man City did against Burton. It's so annoying to see a team take their foot off the pedal and basically just make the end of the game pointless.

10 hours ago, Super_horns said:

Wonder if the Thais will take any positives out of that ..?

I read somewhere they only had 1k professional footballers so

no wonder there was such a gulf in class ..

Up till tonight most of the games appear to have been close and competitive.

Time for Top and King Power to get involved :)

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

Before anyone starts yapping on about women's football & ridiculousl score lines..The male.international Euro-qualifier.Germany-Estonia..8-0..!!

I'm not going to yap, and we've had big wins in the mens world cup, but your comparing a qualifier, where all national teams of all qualities play, against a world cup, which is a format whittled down from qualifying to supposedly have the best teams in the world. Incomparable.

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I'm not going to yap, and we've had big wins in the mens world cup, but your comparing a qualifier, where all national teams of all qualities play, against a world cup, which is a format whittled down from qualifying to supposedly have the best teams in the world. Incomparable.

How about Germany v Brazil in the 2014 semi? That probably could have ended 13-0 but the Germans stopped at 7.

3 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

How about Germany v Brazil in the 2014 semi? That probably could have ended 13-0 but the Germans stopped at 7.

Pure guess work though, it was 7 that's what it was, you can't guess what it could have been.

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Pure guess work though, it was 7 that's what it was, you can't guess what it could have been.

That wasn't the point, although I do think there is something in the idea that most mens teams would ease off long before it got to a score like that, as Germany did. That was the actual semi of a world cup and was arguably even more one-sided given the level playing field. 

What really did for Thailand was the fitness levels. 6 goals in the last 15 minutes I think. That said it was still an embarrassment and I was surprised to read that they are a professional team because they were lacking so badly.

Just now, ealingfox said:

That wasn't the point, although I do think there is something in the idea that most mens teams would ease off long before it got to a score like that, as Germany did. That was the actual semi of a world cup and was arguably even more one-sided given the level playing field. 

What really did for Thailand was the fitness levels. 6 goals in the last 15 minutes I think. That said it was still an embarrassment and I was surprised to read that they are a professional team because they were lacking so badly.

Theres big wins everywhere, at every level. Sometimes just freak results, which I think the Germany Brazil one goes down as. I was just making the point when I replied to the original post, that he was comparing qualifiers with a main tournament, which is like comparing a premier league match result against a cup game between a premier league and a league two team.

Just watched the USA-Thailand highlights and I know the Thai team aren't pros and I know it's a bit of a meme with women's football but surely they can find someone better in goal?  She doesn't seem to have any kind of basic goalkeeping skills at all:  Slow reactions, soft wrists, hardly any horizontal movement on the rare occasion that she dives... I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse display in a 'professional' setting.

18 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Just watched the USA-Thailand highlights and I know the Thai team aren't pros and I know it's a bit of a meme with women's football but surely they can find someone better in goal?  She doesn't seem to have any kind of basic goalkeeping skills at all:  Slow reactions, soft wrists, hardly any horizontal movement on the rare occasion that she dives... I'm not sure I've ever seen a worse display in a 'professional' setting.

Good point Llama ...    surely they could find women in Thailand with stronger wrists ...

Thailand were a joke last night, the gap in skill between teams in the womens game is insane, all usa had to do was know how to play football. i dread to think how bad the teams thailand beat to get there were. literally anyone could have done better in goal, for all the 13 goals, maybe 2 were any good. i did enjoy the game though, we all like goals and that was fun to watch. Rapinoe stood out for me but the entire team looks good, sweden game will be interesting