Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
BigMicky

Harvey Barnes

1 minute ago, SO1 said:

Bowen has 13 goals and we've only just hit December. Bowen is doing what Barnes isn't yet.

I'm not pulling for Bowen over Barnes. I'm just curious because when I watch Barnes in those clips its like watching a different person. Striking.

Doesn't seem like there's THAT big a jump between the two leagues.

There is a jump for certain players, but for others they adapt to the Prem seamlessly. Sometimes it's very difficult to calculate which players will make the jump quickly and others who either take time or simply never cut it in the top division. There's been plenty of players who are obscene at Championship level and then really don't do much in the Prem, our evry own Anthony Knockaert being the prime example. He is an exceptionally skilful and technical player who scores and creates goals for fun in the Championship but his lack of pace seems to have caught him out in the Prem and I don't think that will ever change. People assume this would be the same with Bowen but it's not that easy to say, players who aren't quick can still thrive in the Prem but it's definitely a question mark.

Barnes is curious, i'd never have thought he'd only have 2 league goals in 20-25 Prem starts but I still think it's only a matter of time before he scores at a similar rate to what he's done at every level below the Prem. He is a 10+ goals and 10+ assists type of player without question.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammo said:

Harvey has all the natural talent - the skill and the speed - but is just lacking that composure and ability to think clearly under pressure when he gets into a dangerous position.

With good coaching - and more importantly an injection of confidence when he finally scores at the King Power - he’ll be a massive asset to our team. But I guess, as with Gray, patience can only hold out for so long - with the manager and with the fans.

That's the problem with a successful club. You really don't have room to bed players in. Your expected to produce now.

I'm sure Harvey and Demarai will come good when they learn to slow the game down in their head or get used to the rhythm/speed of it.

26 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

There is a jump for certain players, but for others they adapt to the Prem seamlessly. Sometimes it's very difficult to calculate which players will make the jump quickly and others who either take time or simply never cut it in the top division. There's been plenty of players who are obscene at Championship level and then really don't do much in the Prem, our evry own Anthony Knockaert being the prime example. He is an exceptionally skilful and technical player who scores and creates goals for fun in the Championship but his lack of pace seems to have caught him out in the Prem and I don't think that will ever change. People assume this would be the same with Bowen but it's not that easy to say, players who aren't quick can still thrive in the Prem but it's definitely a question mark.

Barnes is curious, i'd never have thought he'd only have 2 league goals in 20-25 Prem starts but I still think it's only a matter of time before he scores at a similar rate to what he's done at every level below the Prem. He is a 10+ goals and 10+ assists type of player without question.

Thank You. Didn't realize it had been that many starts.

Would have been nice if Perez had been the guy to take some of the pressure off but he needs time as well.

Remember Rodgers in the last match during a break having a lively discussion with Barnes. After which his runs into the box and at defenders became more aggressive and fruitful. I really don't know what's holding him back. It must be in his head/fear of failure because it isn't his technical ability. Witness YT video.

Edited by SO1

4 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Thank You. Didn't realize it had been that many starts.

Would have been nice if Perez had been the guy to take some of the pressure off but he needs time as well.

Remember Rodgers in the last match during a break having a lively discussion with Barnes. After which his runs into the box and at defenders became more aggressive and fruitful. I really don't know what's holding him back. It must be in his head/fear of failure because it isn't his technical ability. Witness YT video.

It's purely belief and confidence, how best to break that is where Rodgers will earn his money. He seems to be a craftsman at improving players both young and experienced.

42 minutes ago, SO1 said:

Bowen has 13 goals and we've only just hit December. Bowen is doing what Barnes isn't yet.

I'm not pulling for Bowen over Barnes. I'm just curious because when I watch Barnes in those clips its like watching a different person. Striking.

Doesn't seem like there's THAT big a jump between the two leagues.

I'm a big fan of Bowen and think that when he eventually gets his move to the PL he's more than capable of holding his own at that level. However, to be fair to Barnes during his time at West Brom in the Championship he was scoring goals for fun. In my opinion the step up between the two leagues is massive. The keeper's at PL level are of a very high standard so it's not surprising that Barnes is finding goals hard to come by. He just needs to keep working at it and it will come with time. When he does start finding the net I think he'll be very prolific. 

5 minutes ago, ian_marshall said:

I'm a big fan of Bowen and think that when he eventually gets his move to the PL he's more than capable of holding his own at that level. However, to be fair to Barnes during his time at West Brom in the Championship he was scoring goals for fun. In my opinion the step up between the two leagues is massive. The keeper's at PL level are of a very high standard so it's not surprising that Barnes is finding goals hard to come by. He just needs to keep working at it and it will come with time. When he does start finding the net I think he'll be very prolific. 

I'm not giving up on him. I remember watching the Barnes YT last summer and thinking Rodgers had hit the motherlode.

Where the hell did this guy come from. Amazing stuff.

The pressure is on everyone now at this level. 2nd in the Premier League. Your expected to produce every day.

Patience is indeed a virtue. Unfortunately there dosen't seem to be much room for it the more successful we are.

One way or another Barnes will come good. Rodgers came here to make players better not throw them away.

Everyone is talking as if for WBA he was playing in the EPL.  He has a lot more space in the video for his goals against championship defenders.

So he needs to be able to do the same shot in a smaller amount of time, I agree time may well fix it, but there is a very clear difference there.

20 hours ago, SO1 said:

I look at that YT clip and think of Jarrod Bowen. Probably the same clip I saw last summer of Barnes that made me go out of my mind with excitement.

Makes me wonder about the jump between the Championship and the Premier League.

Is there that much of a gulf between the leagues that makes clubs not willing to take the chance on Bowen?

Barnes and Bowen absolutely reek of poise and confidence. What happened? What do clubs see that we don't?

Or could it be that Barnes is learning to play clubs that park the bus? Because there is lots of space in that clip.

They seem connected for different reasons.

Imagine Barnes in the PL, but zero pace. That's probably what we'd get with Bowen. I'm tired of signing subpar RWs if we're going to get one make it a globally acknowledged talent - not ridiculous, but there's plenty of feasible and higher profile names than Bowen up for grabs.

• Like 2

He is become very good at running with pace through tight defences, just needs to learn more what to do with the ball when he is in a dangerous position, when to shoot, when to pass but that will come with experience.

This is his first season as a regular in the senior team and I think he’s doing fine.

Let’s not forget how ineffective Maddison seemed at times last season, or how vulnerable we looked down the left side when Chilwell first got his chance. 

BR keeps starting him so clearly he sees the potential. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, ithuriel said:

He is become very good at running with pace through tight defences, just needs to learn more what to do with the ball when he is in a dangerous position, when to shoot, when to pass but that will come with experience.

He just need to pull the trigger and force the goalie to save it

I am starting to really rate Barnes and he is getting himself into some brilliant positions and is starting to make something out of nothing. 

Scoring is a massive part of his game that's missing though. Some of his missed chances are woeful. 

44 minutes ago, Glorious Leicester Fan said:

Harvey Barnes has massive potential, and we should be grateful that he plays for us. Anyone who does not see this needs to open their eyes. 

Those who ask about his lack of goals needs  to remember that he is only 21 yrs old and is in first full Prem season.  When Raheem Sterling was 21 (1st season at Man City) he scored just 7 goals and 5 assists. 

I am not suggesting that he will eventually reach Sterling’s level, but a bit of patience is required. 

Corrcet! Support them not slag them off, barracking does nothing for their confidence. If they lack confidence they play safe, when confident, they try things on. Fans can be clueless to this. 

Some of his dribbling runs are frankly astonishing, times against Watford he'd danced around entire defences and got into a brilliant position to finish. You'd be more worried if he wasn't getting into the attacking positions. Once he gets one or two in, I'm sure they'll start to flow in.

• Like 3

On 06/12/2019 at 12:22, Tom12345 said:

I really wonder if it is Chilwell here ... Chilwell seems to always want to boss Barnes around ... it is just so much different to how he treats other players especially his mate Maddison ... I have no idea ...

I wonder if he would do better if he can try to play on the right wing

I've noticed that too. Chilwell does like to have a rant at Barnes. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, sm1 said:

I've noticed that too. Chilwell does like to have a rant at Barnes. 

14 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd like to see Barnes really assert himself on Chilwell to be honest. Chilwell is always slow to release him, often doesn't quite link up well with Barnes. 

For me there are times Chilwell needs to remember Barnes is twice the attacker he is, he's the full back for a reason. 

Yeah, I agree.  It is not easy when you are just coming into the first team as a 21 year old - you need support from the manager and fellow players. 

I guess this may also have something to do with Barnes' personality though.  After he misses, he often looks so disappointed at himself.  Normally a player does but his facial expression does look over the top.  I wonder if he can be too self-critical, and he may let criticism from teammates affect him more than it should?  Maybe there is a bit of history we do not know - Chilwell and Barnes played with each other a lot in the youth academy.  Having said that, I have noticed a tendency for Chilwell to blame others since he first came into the first team a few years ago - he would often blame others for his own defensive errors - this is why I have particularly been sensitive about this.

But I agree Finnegan, Barnes should assert himself more.  Hopefully he gets the confidence he needs from the manager to do so.

Purely from the outside looking in, Barnes seems to be a bit of an outsider compared to the other young guys. 

There's a real little clique with Maddison, Gray and Chilwell although it is funny that Chilwell seemed to drop his BFF Demarai for a better player lol

It'd be interesting to hear the thoughts of someone that knows the inner workings of the squad. Barnes seems a bit more introverted. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I'd like to see Barnes really assert himself on Chilwell to be honest. Chilwell is always slow to release him, often doesn't quite link up well with Barnes. 

For me there are times Chilwell needs to remember Barnes is twice the attacker he is, he's the full back for a reason. 

Can't believe Rodgers doesn't see this happening. Wonder if he's letting Barnes deal with this situation on his own in order to learn to stand up for himself.

Remember Rodgers talking about Barnes confidence. May have been alluding to more than just attacking aggression.

Politics of the workplace at LCFC. Happy Times.