Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dr Marco

Favorite Bassist

28 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Great shout.

As well as being very good, I love how much he clearly enjoys performing - gurning away and putting every ounce of energy into it. 

I've just bought a ticket for a festival down in Margate later in the summer, with Wilko Johnson in the line-up, so I should see him in action again then. 

3 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

As well as being very good, I love how much he clearly enjoys performing - gurning away and putting every ounce of energy into it. 

I've just bought a ticket for a festival down in Margate later in the summer, with Wilko Johnson in the line-up, so I should see him in action again then. 

Not bad, given that he was told that he had nine months to live in 2013. 

• 3 weeks later...

Bruce Foxton

Andy Rourke

John Deacon

Paul McCartney

John McVie

John Paul Jones

Phil Lynott

Jack Bruce

Lemmy

Flea

Sting 

The lack of love for Foxton on this thread is disturbing. And John McVie wrote the most famous bass line of all time. 

Edited by The Bear
  • Like 4

• 4 weeks later...

Literally the only answer to this is Matt Freeman of Rancid. Anyone with a different answer just hadn't heard enough Matt Freeman of Rancid. 

Genius. 

Unbelievable ****ing genius. If any of you have ever played the bass - you'll know. 

• Like 1

On 26/07/2019 at 21:46, Finnegan said:

Literally the only answer to this is Matt Freeman of Rancid. Anyone with a different answer just hadn't heard enough Matt Freeman of Rancid. 

Genius. 

Unbelievable ****ing genius. If any of you have ever played the bass - you'll know. 

I have literally zero recollection of posting this. Christ I must have been steaming. 

Valid though. 

• Haha 1

I dont think ive seen Roger Waters mentioned? (a good bassist who grew into a great bassist!). He isnt a showy bass, but listen to Floyd and focus on the Bass.. it is perfect.

oh and.. no love for...

Image result for gene simmons axe

he played an AXE!!!!  :)

Edit... also, dont think ive seen "Flea" mentioned? - brilliant

Edited by ozleicester

On 30/06/2019 at 13:40, The Bear said:

Bruce Foxton

Andy Rourke

John Deacon

Paul McCartney

John McVie

John Paul Jones

Phil Lynott

Jack Bruce

Lemmy

Flea

Sting 

The lack of love for Foxton on this thread is disturbing. And John McVie wrote the most famous bass line of all time. 

The Chain? How many times has that been sampled!

The bass in My Generation by The Who has got to be up there too.

On 30/07/2019 at 19:08, The Bear said:

He looks like a frustrated guitar player been handed a bass. 

He can do stuff with a bass that most can't do with a six string tbf. 

That video is all noodling around turning a two minute song in to like a ten minute solo or something. It actually doesn't completely do Freeman justice because it's a bit like when show a video of some hair metal soloist just shredding, yknow, Dragonforce style crap. It's impressive but it's not really all there is to playing guitar. 

What's special about Freeman isn't just that clearly amazing level of technical skill, it's actually how he ties his bass lines into Rancid's work. They're a very gutteral, dirty, street punk meets ska kinda vibe all power chords and terrible vocals but the bass is literally like the lead instrument, hitting this beautiful undercurrent of scales and arpeggios like he's Mozart. It's nuts. Gives them such a good sound. 

Chris Barker of Anti Flag is worth a nod as a budget Matt Freeman for being similar in that his bass lines often feel like the lead instrument of a song. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...