Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

8 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

I'm told academy players get £2k-£4k a week which is a damn good wage!!!

Same as Alan Brazil gets for each show (when he bothers to turn up that is).

Not that I can think of? Tom Lawrence the closest we had to that maybe? I’m sure I saw a stat that said players who have played in our academy have most playing in the football league? I am sad and do check every game any young kid who’s been with us at some point has done! 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

Not that I can think of? Tom Lawrence the closest we had to that maybe? I’m sure I saw a stat that said players who have played in our academy have most playing in the football league? I am sad and do check every game any young kid who’s been with us at some point has done! 

Lawrence came in 2014, and he's 25 meaning he arrived when he was about 20 but he is Championship standard so yeah.

Hamza, Chilwell, Barnes, Knight and Moore have all been with us since kids. Schlupp and King came in their early to mid teens. Lawrence is the only example of the semi decent Championship player coming after that.

I'm starting to think if a team have sold an 17, 18, 19 or 20 year old to us it's because they don't think they'll make their own first team.

Maybe the money is good, but why not put the 17/18 year old in their first team and charge loads more money a little later?

I can't see any reasons for any club, except a player forcing a move or us offering ridiculous money, to sell a really promising player in their late teens.

Edited by Foxxed

7 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Lawrence came in 2014, and he's 25 meaning he arrived when he was about 20 but he is Championship standard so yeah.

Hamza, Chilwell, Barnes, Knight and Moore have all been with us since kids. Schlupp and King came in their early to mid teens. Lawrence is the only example of the semi decent Championship player coming after that.

I'm starting to think if a team have sold an 17, 18, 19 or 20 year old to us it's because they don't think they'll make their own first team.

Maybe the money is good, but why not put the 17/18 year old in their first team and charge loads more money a little later?

I can't see any reasons for any club, except a player forcing a move or us offering ridiculous money, to sell a really promising player in their late teens.

Lawrence was signed more for the first team anyway, very much like Diabate. They may have played a bit in the U23'S but I'd not class them as development players like when we've signed Regbha, Hirst, Clark etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Foxxed said:

How old was Muzzy Izzet when Chelsea discarded him?

or more recently the manure boys that did so well for us - Drinky, James ....

They were all youth products deemed not good enough by their big club owners.

Let's not write players off when they are still young please.

19 minutes ago, FIF said:

I don't think they are being immediately written off, more questioning the current recruitment process in the academy. It's a fair question to ask, currently it looks a bit pointless but hopefully we stumble across a few that turn out to be an asset in the first team.

I've noticed a few clubs like Watford and Brighton are trying to sign up some of the highly sought South American youngsters and keep them loaned out for a few years until they can bring them over here, it's not so much an academy thing as I suspect if they ever come here it'll be straight to the first team but it'll be interesting to see if it's an avenue that produces any value and success. 

2 hours ago, FIF said:

There are players we've bought later that I'm excited about: Shade for example. And I'm not writing anyone off. Vardy is the best example of late development. But statistically speaking our successes have been with players we've developed since early days or mid teens. There are lots of reasons a club may release or be forced to let go of a very promising yougster who's on the cusp of their first team. But I wonder how many of these signings are squad fillers we hope to sell to lower divisions later.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FIF said:

Somewhat different though, they were brought in to go straight into our first team and not even a PL spot and I suspect it was more to do with a lack of opportunity for a PL 1st team place due to their ability to buy up the best  that was around.

I guess the difference is some of us think these players would be better off sticking with their local lower league team getting 'real' experience every week. I'd prefer to see PL clubs sponsoring better coaching at the lower levels rather than bringing them all to the PL U23s where they often don't even get regular games or are shifted out on loan anyway.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, davieG said:

Somewhat different though, they were brought in to go straight into our first team and not even a PL spot and I suspect it was more to do with a lack of opportunity for a PL 1st team place due to their ability to buy up the best  that was around.

I guess the difference is some of us think these players would be better off sticking with their local lower league team getting 'real' experience every week. I'd prefer to see PL clubs sponsoring better coaching at the lower levels rather than bringing them all to the PL U23s where they often don't even get regular games or are shifted out on loan anyway.

I don't think all the manure lads were brought in to go straight into the first team but I'm old and maybe my memory has failed me. They certainly weren't bought for the U23s as that didn't exist. Which I guess is my point from the other thread which got lifted after I posted it.

I am in full agreement that they would be better off to stop with a lower league team but that's not going to happen because:

1. They think there's a chance they'll break into a prem team

2. The pay is so much better on an LCFC contract

3. LCFC want the rights to the player - if they stayed in a lower league then anyone could buy them (good for them but not for LCFC or any other team doing the same thing).

This, again, is why I made the suggestion of certain capable Prem teams having a "B" team in div 2 (some of the posts which were lifted). Then these players can hold onto their dreams, get paid and play in a league situation.

Again I agree with the idea of money going into lower league coaching - either from prem clubs or from the league structure - but to do that "big" teams will want a guarantee - maybe something like American sports Drafting from lower leagues - and NO-ONE is going to accept that. 

3 hours ago, lcfcell said:

Now Hughes and Pascanu have left, who will we see at CB? Johnson, Clark and that new signing O’Connor? I would’ve thought we’d see Johnson back out on loan but oh well 

Clark, the Villa guy who was on loan at Port Vale but chose to come to our u23s when his Villa contract expired? I think he's a right back. That's where he's been playing. Didn't we just sign two centre halves? I wasn't paying attention tbh. We could always promote a u18 if they've outgrown the u18s.

11 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Would've been nice for Hughes to get a loan to a higher league but in fairness Salford should be winning quite frequently you would imagine and that can't be bad.

It’s a funny one, he could have easily gone to a league 2 team back when we signed him. What a waste of 2 years of his career. 

I dont get get the logic of why an already established player playing real football gives it up for academy football. 

George Thomas is another example. Had he stayed at Coventry he’d arguably be plying his trade every week in league 1 and if you’re good enough someone will sign you. Financial or not, I personally just don’t get it.  

James Justin should be the type of route you follow, sign for a big club if you know you’re going to at least be on the cusp of first team football. Once you fail at a big teams academy the route back is a tough one. 

Was reading the diabate thread and saw he is still a young guy but realise there’s pressure on him that at this stage in his career where he should be starting games... problem with this U23 system is the pressure on young lads to come good and as we know with Vardy some players develop at a later stage.

This made me think to MLB baseball where no matter how old you are as soon as you start playing at Major league level you’re classed as a ‘rookie’.

As a baseball player when you get called up you could hit the ground running and go from strength to strength but there are several players each season in every team finding that initial step up difficult but the experience will do them the world of good. These players that struggle will be sent back down to their lower league team until whenever. If that player gets called back up however long in the future, the player will still qualify as a rookie until I think he’s played a year and a half at the top level.

Maybe something the ‘reserve’ system can implement so young players who are 24+ struggling for first team football thinking their finished when they could be about to turn the corner and become the next Vardy.

I feel it would make the overall reserve system better quality as well.

• Like 1

I still think the old Pontins reserve league was the best thing for developing players, a competitive league a mixture of young lads and experiences pros and I remember going down with some huge crowds at Filbert Street.

I remember playing Man Utd and having a complete sell out for Family night football. It was brilliant for everyone involved, great place also to introduce the young kids to going to football events.

The under 20s can have their own competition and when they are ready they can step into a reserve competition which is a step up from under age games.

• Like 3

Lamine Sherif is playing for league one's Accrington Stanley after being released by the club. Came on at the 55 minute mark from the bench in their last match and was an unused sub before that. He looked solid without being outstanding when I watched him in the u23s. Turns out that's just about league one bench level.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Shane said:

Decent goal from Reghba, 2 goals in 5 games for him.

Forgot about this match. Ughelumba has been relegated to centre back and his position given to Luke Thomas then.  

Edited by Foxxed
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Forgot about this match. Ughelumba has been relegated to centre back and his position given to Luke Thomas then.  

I think because we have no other CB's at U23 level. We've surely got to promote Husek or Heavens up a level.

I've noticed Regbha is being deployed as a right forward in a 4-3-3, seems to be more suited to the 9 role but showing he can play wide. Would like to see Fitzhugh and Pennant get some chances wide left as the season develops.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

I think because we have no other CB's at U23 level. We've surely got to promote Husek or Heavens up a level.

I've noticed Regbha is being deployed as a right forward in a 4-3-3, seems to be more suited to the 9 role but showing he can play wide. Would like to see Fitzhugh and Pennant get some chances wide left as the season develops.

Heavens got released