Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

54 minutes ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Really rough on Ughelumba, from what I saw he was really much better as a left back.

Thomas was under 17 England captain, is now in the England under 19 squad and is a year younger than Ughelumba. He's the most promising young academy player we have. I can understand us prioritising Thomas tbh. I feel for Ughelumba though - he looked great when attacking down the left flank and he is now in central defence.

It's a bugger that our two most promising u23 academy players play in the same position. One needs loaning out to a league one club come Christmas. Thomas, being in the England squad, should be easy to loan out. But getting Ughelumba loaned out as a promising left back, who was just about at league one standard, when we play him as a centre half may be difficult.

Edited by Foxxed

19 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Thomas was under 17 England captain, is now in the England under 19 squad and is a year younger than Ughelumba. He's the most promising young academy player we have. I can understand us prioritising Thomas tbh. I feel for Ughelumba though - he looked great when attacking down the left flank and he is now in central defence.

It's a bugger that our two most promising u23 academy players play in the same position. One needs loaning out to a league one club come Christmas. Thomas, being in the England squad, should be easy to loan out. But getting Ughelumba loaned out as a promising left back, who was just about at league one standard, when we play him as a centre half may be difficult.

If we play him a few games at left back before the winter window I think we could do it. There's surely some team in League 1 that needs a left back.

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Really rough on Ughelumba, from what I saw he was really much better as a left back.

Another reason why a player approaching 20 in a few months should have been out on loan gaining experience in his natural position.

• Like 2

Just now, Mark said:

Another reason why a player approaching 20 in a few months should have been out on loan gaining experience in his natural position.

I'd actually not be adverse to him playing left wing rather than CB as you look at the current set up and we are playing players out of position in the wide forward roles. George Thomas is also seemingly being deployed as a 3rd central midfielder after stints in the professional game at right wing and as a number 10.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mark said:

I get the idea we tried, since we were playing him at LB at the start of the season while the loan window was open, but no one came in. He looks good but mainly when attacking. Playing him on the wing would be a good shout as Ric said.

5 minutes ago, Mark said:

By a side doing it right with six players aged 18 and under, compared to us with just one in Luke Thomas.

The whole academy needs a massive shake up given our supposed ambitions and this new elite training ground. Tavares has been fcuked straight back to the U18's and by all accounts has been far too good for that level this season. Fitzhugh and Pennant although only 16/17 I'd be giving them some U23 games too. 

• Like 1