Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

11 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we need someone to carry the ball forward.....Dewsbury Hall is the one who is in the position to do this, but he needs to take a chance. He has the skill, just does not use it!!!

We need to promote Tavares!!! His dribbling combined with his physique is Dembele esque (the ex-tottenham player) 

• Like 2

Just now, st albans fox said:

Conceded the equaliser in the fifth minute of four added on ......

poor game management ........

having watched that second half, I would rather be a Liverpool fan looking at the two sides !

Really? A lot of poor passes and mistakes by both sides, but our play looked more exciting, whereas Liverpool were very methodical and pedestrian, I thought.

16 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Really? A lot of poor passes and mistakes by both sides, but our play looked more exciting, whereas Liverpool were very methodical and pedestrian, I thought.

I thought they were trying to develop a style of play. We just looked like we wanted to win any way we could and were much more direct. 

Agree they also made olenty of errors but I felt they were being quite brave with their play .....

14 hours ago, Mark said:

By a side doing it right with six players aged 18 and under, compared to us with just one in Luke Thomas.

It's U23s not under 19s. If that's what people want then the league setup needs to be looked at - as I've said before.

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

Conceded the equaliser in the fifth minute of four added on ......

poor game management ........

having watched that second half, I would be a happier Liverpool fan looking at the two sides !

It's not about the result - apparently.

22 hours ago, LCFC1996 said:

U18's won 5-1 away to Swansea, Goals from: Arlott-John (x2), Pennant (x2) and Fitzhugh, Arlott-John also had 2 assists, Pennant with 1

They look the 3 most talented, along with Tavares to be breaking in to the U23's surely? Don't care if some of them are 16 or 17 they are taking the piss at times in the U18's.

22 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

They look the 3 most talented, along with Tavares to be breaking in to the U23's surely? Don't care if some of them are 16 or 17 they are taking the piss at times in the U18's.

Taveras didn't look great in the Hong Kong 7s tbh. Arlott John and Pennant are strikers, right? They'd have to fight it out with Regheba, Hirst and Muskwe. They may be better off getting game time in the u18s.

51 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Taveras didn't look great in the Hong Kong 7s tbh. Arlott John and Pennant are strikers, right? They'd have to fight it out with Regheba, Hirst and Muskwe. They may be better off getting game time in the u18s.

Pennant and Fitzhugh are both wingers, Arlott-John is a striker

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mark said:

Fitzhugh played central and very comfortable on the ball in pre season.

I think he's a very gifted young player, not seen too much of him but trying to get down to a few U18 games this season. I have seen a couple in the last year and loved it, definitely seem a talented and progressive side.

2 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Fair enough I can't barely remember who our wingers are.

Sort of playing with wide forwards aren't we in the U23's that are or were strikers in Muskwe and Regbha. Even George Thomas and Leshabela aren't natural wingers but have played out wide at times. I'm sure if Pennant and Fitzhugh keep doing what they're doing they'll be called up this season.

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I think he's a very gifted young player, not seen too much of him but trying to get down to a few U18 games this season. I have seen a couple in the last year and loved it, definitely seem a talented and progressive side.

Sort of playing with wide forwards aren't we in the U23's that are or were strikers in Muskwe and Regbha. Even George Thomas and Leshabela aren't natural wingers but have played out wide at times. I'm sure if Pennant and Fitzhugh keep doing what they're doing they'll be called up this season.

I wonder if they get better training in the u18s as attacking midfielders? The u23s doesn't seem the kind of place where attacking midfielders flourish tbh. Barnes had a season in total in the u23s but I'd have more faith in defensive players improving. If they're still developing in the u18s I'd rather attacking players stay there then impress in the u23s for a quick loan.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

I wonder if they get better training in the u18s as attacking midfielders? The u23s doesn't seem the kind of place where attacking midfielders flourish tbh. Barnes had a season in total in the u23s but I'd have more faith in defensive players improving. If they're still developing in the u18s I'd rather attacking players stay there then impress in the u23s for a quick loan.

Yeah I think so, Barnes was fast tracked quite quickly from U18's and then half a season with the U23's and then on loan to MK Dons. It's certainly not quite as big a jump from U18's to be ready to go on loan at League One or Two quite quickly, that's why I get so annoyed that we don't get our best U18's moving up quicker. The whole process feels a few years behind but we can't change that overnight really without cutting through a swave of young pro's. 

I'm still waiting for us to fill all the vacancies we have in the academy staff.

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Yeah I think so, Barnes was fast tracked quite quickly from U18's and then half a season with the U23's and then on loan to MK Dons. It's certainly not quite as big a jump from U18's to be ready to go on loan at League One or Two quite quickly, that's why I get so annoyed that we don't get our best U18's moving up quicker. The whole process feels a few years behind but we can't change that overnight really without cutting through a swave of young pro's. 

I'm still waiting for us to fill all the vacancies we have in the academy staff.

I think it is to be honest. Look at Sheiff - looked good but is now on the bench in league one. Ndukwu - was an unused sub in the last match in league one. Loft - soso in the u23s and now on the bench in league two.

Only the players who have consistently stood out in the u23s - Chilwell, Barnes, Hamza eventually - have been good enough for league one. And you have to question is league two or the u23s is better for player development.

Only the best, and u18 England internationals, will be sure of a league one loan with any speed. Is Arlott John an England international? If not he may be better getting the best training and that may be in the u18s.