Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

2019/20 Under 23's, U19's, Development ... thread

• 2 weeks later...

'I'm not so big on results' – Brendan Rodgers' verdict on Leicester City's Under-23s and potential loans
Leicester City's development squad are looking for a 10th victory in 11 games when they host Wolves on Friday night

ByJordan Blackwell
12:40, 3 JAN 2020

Leicester City Under-23s kick off the new year on Friday night looking for a 10th win in 11 games.

But first-team manager Brendan Rodgers says he’s “not so big on the results” of the development squad, as his focus is on their improvement.

City’s fourth-placed Under-23s are three points off the top spot in Premier League 2 after a fine run of results at the end of 2019, and they will hope to begin 2020 with a bang when they host Wolves, a 7pm kick-off at Holmes Park.

Rodgers believes that victories are great for confidence, they are not the be all and end all at youth level.

“It’s not all about the winning,” he said last month. “For Under-23s, it’s about the development of players.

“Winning is important and there are some talented boys in the squad and it’s nice for their confidence.

“At Under-23s, it’s very difficult because you could be playing against a team of 17-year-olds. I’m not so big on the results, because every team could put out an older age group then.

“It’s about winning, but it’s about development. But for the young players who are playing, they’ve had good results.”

With City flying high in the Premier League, the jump from the development squad to the first team may be too big without a stepping stone in between.

Rodgers believes a loan works for some players, but says some can progress straight through.

“There’s a certain level you can go to in Under-23s football, especially if you’re an older player,” he said. “If you’re in the Under-23s at 22 or 23, it’s going to be difficult for you.

“A lot of teams at that level might have 17 or 18-year-olds playing with the odd scattering of older players.

“It’s about the individual need. Do they need a loan period out to get pressure and feel that?

“It just depends, some may not need that, some might go from the youth right the way into the first team. It just depends on what the need of the player is. Some might need a loan period in the lower level to feel the pressure.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/im-not-big-results--3702681

1 minute ago, davieG said:

“If you’re in the Under-23s at 22 or 23, it’s going to be difficult for you.

This is why I thimk the age concept of U23 is all wrong.

Just now, Collymore said:

Imagine how Dean Hammond felt!

Aye although i've no objection to older player playing for fitness purposes in fact I'd still prefer the old Reserves League where the young lads got to play with a few older players with their experiences being passed onto them.

• Like 1