Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Trav Le Bleu

The Elephant In The Forum

7 minutes ago, MarriedaLeicesterGirl said:

Many weeks ago, Tanner said in his Q&A that unless they go on a PSG or ManCity spending spree, no Premier League team has any FFP concerns, and LCFC doesn't have to make any sales to balance the books. If anyone goes, it's for other reasons.

On a normal season we make a profit of between £1m and £25m (roughly), if we are going to spend £100m then at some point that has to be paid for. So unless there is going to be some very creative accounting to cover large owner injection of cash (which they've not looked like doing for a long time), at some point a player will be sold and we'll end up making a net profit in a window or two. 

38 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

I do a good baby elephant impression in the showers 

You fall over a lot? You ok?

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I'm not in the know at all but I'd personally be amazed if we don't sell one of our major assets. 

For me, Benkovic and Soyuncu were signed to be long term replacements for Morgan and Maguire in what was our first piece of genuine, long term planning. We should have done it with Mahrez and we failed, with Maguire we got a couple youngsters in in advance. 

I can see us very much adopting a Monaco model of buying youngsters, playing them for a few years and selling them for profit. It's just business at the end of the day. You buy to sell to buy to sell to build yourself up over time.  

For my money Ricardo will be next, next summer, once JJ had had a season to bed in. Probably for another enormous profit at least 300%.

I actually disagree with your point of buying youngsters and then selling. My understanding is that the level of ambition within the club is high and we are looking to break into top 6. (who would have thought that 8-10 years ago...) The big names sold (Kanté, Mahrez and Drinkwater) all wanted to leave and were apparently not sold for the sake of the money (although it is a factor). With Rodgers in charge, new training facilities and the focus on the "top" and the hardball management is playing in the transfer market is a clear indication that were not a selling club - and the "pull" to play and develop at Leicester may be much more interesting than being benched in Manchester...... that ride could be very very interesting.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, TheStig said:

I actually disagree with your point of buying youngsters and then selling. My understanding is that the level of ambition within the club is high and we are looking to break into top 6. (who would have thought that 8-10 years ago...) The big names sold (Kanté, Mahrez and Drinkwater) all wanted to leave and were apparently not sold for the sake of the money (although it is a factor). With Rodgers in charge, new training facilities and the focus on the "top" and the hardball management is playing in the transfer market is a clear indication that were not a selling club - and the "pull" to play and develop at Leicester may be much more interesting than being benched in Manchester...... that ride could be very very interesting.

We don’t have the money to compete, so you have to create it... one way being bringing through players you know you make a big profit on. Players will always want to leave for bigger clubs, so maximise profit when they do and reinvest.

Edited by Babylon
  • Thanks 2

34 minutes ago, TheStig said:

But I believe our road to the top six involves selling assets like Maguire, Ricardo and Chilwell in order to keep buying the players that improve the over all quality of the squad as a whole. 

It's not a strong position for us to have all of our value all tied up in assets like Maguire. 

Over time you earn the right to hold on to your best players by building up capital. Unless Top is going to inject in more than his father did, money for a top six / four push has to come from somewhere. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Been a good while since my son was young, but I am pretty sure that isn`t the next line to Nellie the Elephant...:nono:

Here's a reminder, with all lyrics clearly enunciated by the Toy Dolls.... 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Yes, I understand UEFA rules are over a 3 year period with a lesser limit on losses (30m euros?) and I assume this overrides the EPL limit. However it begs the question as to what the EPL scheme actually accomplishes as the EUFA limit will always be triggered first. Even with this limit we have quite a bit of headroom over the next 3 seasons though, so no need to sell this season for FFP reasons.

As for the owners wanting the club to stand on its own financial feet, I do wonder if that is changing this season. We do not know what effect Vichai’s passing may have had. As a younger man, Top may be prepared to take more risk, and with Rodgers’ appointment and the top 6 looking more shaky he may have decided that now is the time to go for broke. If this is the case I hope it works out. It doesn’t always (West Ham, Everton, Fulham, etc).

UEFA FFP only applies in UEFA competitions,   Not the EPL.

9 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

UEFA FFP only applies in UEFA competitions,   Not the EPL.

Yes I understand that, but any club breaking UEFA rules but satisfying EPL ones is presumably doing so in order to get into a European competition. No use if they are then banned.

• Like 1

There are a lot of intelligent people at the club with greater knowledge of the rules and the clubs books than me. All I know is we have an option to sell Maguire for £70m if we are in trouble and I’m sure there would be many suitors for Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo etc but we also have a lot of talent we can offload first without harming the first team. Shining and Simpson have gone taking a chunk off our wage bill, Slimani and Silva being the obvious ones to sell. Worst case scenario £10m each and reduce wage bill. Nacho, Ghezzal, Mendy would be next on the list. Then you have players like Kapustka, Diabate, James, King. There is a lot of value in those players enough to cover what we’ve spent so far and then some if we get some good deals then it could cover the Tielemans deal. Of course all of this relies on selling players and there hasn’t been much movement in that front yet. I don’t think we need to panic just yet, but we do need to sell. We had too many players for our 25 man squad last season and if we don’t ship some more out, loan or sale, we will be paying a lot of wages to players who can’t play.

On 05/07/2019 at 09:40, Finnegan said:

But I believe our road to the top six involves selling assets like Maguire, Ricardo and Chilwell in order to keep buying the players that improve the over all quality of the squad as a whole. 

It's not a strong position for us to have all of our value all tied up in assets like Maguire. 

Over time you earn the right to hold on to your best players by building up capital. Unless Top is going to inject in more than his father did, money for a top six / four push has to come from somewhere. 

It'll be a case of a delicate balance of risk and revenue. We need to be competing in Europe to maintain and keep our best players (or most prized). When we are not and they want to leave, we offload, but for silly prices, as we have been smart enough to manage our contracts to enable this. but we do this without disrupting the core of the team without a set up to bring someone either else through or scouting a ready made replacement.

It's not as dangerous as it seems, so I hope that behind it all we have contingency planning and risk management of our playing assets.

Our academy should in the long-term hopefully take-off some of the above pressure.

My mindset is the same as that of the OP. I'm excited but the spending is worrying me too. I'd love to keep Harry but I think that if/when we sell him, it'll be a sense of relief more than anything. 

If only someone would snap slimani, king, Silva and Gray up for a combined £75mill ?

9 minutes ago, Captain... said:

There are a lot of intelligent people at the club with greater knowledge of the rules and the clubs books than me. All I know is we have an option to sell Maguire for £70m if we are in trouble and I’m sure there would be many suitors for Maddison, Chilwell, Ricardo etc but we also have a lot of talent we can offload first without harming the first team. Shining and Simpson have gone taking a chunk off our wage bill, Slimani and Silva being the obvious ones to sell. Worst case scenario £10m each and reduce wage bill. Nacho, Ghezzal, Mendy would be next on the list. Then you have players like Kapustka, Diabate, James, King. There is a lot of value in those players enough to cover what we’ve spent so far and then some if we get some good deals then it could cover the Tielemans deal. Of course all of this relies on selling players and there hasn’t been much movement in that front yet. I don’t think we need to panic just yet, but we do need to sell. We had too many players for our 25 man squad last season and if we don’t ship some more out, loan or sale, we will be paying a lot of wages to players who can’t play.

? so many (expensive) players surplus to requirement 

On 05/07/2019 at 11:03, TheStig said:

I agree. Outside of Man City and Liverpool next season, who we have to except at this moment in time are quite a few streets ahead of the rest, I think we have the potential,  regardless of results,  to play some of the most watchable exciting football. Some of the results won't go our way because of youth and inexperience. I do think that the players will bond even more, a bond that has seemingly already captured the imagination of Tielemans. Add the fantastic new training facilities and we are going to become a very attractive proposition for new players that previously would never have considered us. The future looks very bright. We've appear to have bought wisely in the transfer market and if we could manage to keep Maguire, I think that would also send out the right signals and leave us with a player who will improve further.

• Like 4

On 05/07/2019 at 09:37, Babylon said:

We don’t have the money to compete, so you have to create it... one way being bringing through players you know you make a big profit on. Players will always want to leave for bigger clubs, so maximise profit when they do and reinvest.

Spot on. And so long as we dont lose more than 1 key player a season then we should continue to grow nicely. My only worry is that next summer, Chilwell, Madders and Ricardo could all be ready for big moves. I just hope we get into Europe this season so we can keep most of them as long as possible. 

• Like 1