Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Ex Players - They used to play for us

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/12/12/theyre-going-to-have-a-blip-leicester-city-legend-opens-up-in-a-real-efl-exclusive/

‘They’re Going to Have a Blip’ – Leicester City Legend Opens Up in a Real EFL Exclusive
December 12, 2023 Kyle Kennealey Clubs, EFL, EFL Championship, Leicester City, Real EFL Exclusive 0

Former Chelsea and Leicester City man Frank Sinclair has opened up on his time at Filbert Street.

Having just achieved the high of winning the League Cup Final against Middlesbrough, scoring one of the goals in a 2-0 win, Sinclair left Chelsea for £2 million and moved to the Foxes.

While surprising some supporters, it could have been seen as the perfect way to leave, winning and scoring at Wembley. Regardless, Sinclair has no regrets about his departure from Stamford Bridge.

“When I went to Leicester, people would have looked at it and said it was a backward step in my career, but I made that choice purely on a selfish basis of wanting to play football.”

“I could have stayed at Chelsea and been a bit part squad member as Chelsea was becoming the giant they are now. But I didn’t want to do that.”

“I knew that I wouldn’t be happy sitting on the bench, watching and getting games every now and then. I couldn’t be a bit part of something that was going to be a revolution at the football club.”

He went and enjoyed six seasons with Leicester City, playing almost 200 times in the East Midlands. It was an opportunity that Sinclair knew he couldn’t have turned down.

“I decided to go to Leicester to be one of the main men there, going for a club record signing at the time. I knew I was going to be a big part of it going forward. I enjoyed my time there.”

“To reach two cup finals in two seasons, I thought was quite an achievement for a club that wasn’t the biggest club, a mid-table side.”

As Sinclair said, the Foxes made two Wembley appearances, defeated by Tottenham before beating Tranmere to win the League Cup. Much of the success, though, was down to the togetherness of the squad at Filbert Street.

“We were a strong Premier League team; we only spent one season out of the Premier League in the six years that I was at the football club.”

“While not having your household names, we had some top players, the likes of Neil Lennon, Muzzy Izzet, Matt Elliott, and Steve Walsh, who was captain and is a legend at the football club.”

“We had really good pros, a good changing room, and a manager who was brilliant at organising us and giving us that bit between the teeth going into every game. Neil was superb at that, and he had the respect of the players. You always wanted to perform for him.”

The current Leicester side have taken the Championship by storm, sitting top of the division as they look for an immediate return to the top-flight. So, are there any comparisons with the Leicester squad of the late nineties and early noughties?

“Looking at the team now, it’s a more attacking style of play. I always fancied them to be strong in the Championship if they could keep that Premier League core of the squad together.”

“The new managers come in, and they certainly hit the ground running, but they’re going to have a blip at some stage throughout the season.”

Sinclair is speaking to the Real EFL courtesy of Stocklytics. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, davieG said:

https://therealefl.co.uk/2023/12/12/theyre-going-to-have-a-blip-leicester-city-legend-opens-up-in-a-real-efl-exclusive/

‘They’re Going to Have a Blip’ – Leicester City Legend Opens Up in a Real EFL Exclusive
December 12, 2023 Kyle Kennealey Clubs, EFL, EFL Championship, Leicester City, Real EFL Exclusive 0

Former Chelsea and Leicester City man Frank Sinclair has opened up on his time at Filbert Street.

Having just achieved the high of winning the League Cup Final against Middlesbrough, scoring one of the goals in a 2-0 win, Sinclair left Chelsea for £2 million and moved to the Foxes.

While surprising some supporters, it could have been seen as the perfect way to leave, winning and scoring at Wembley. Regardless, Sinclair has no regrets about his departure from Stamford Bridge.

“When I went to Leicester, people would have looked at it and said it was a backward step in my career, but I made that choice purely on a selfish basis of wanting to play football.”

“I could have stayed at Chelsea and been a bit part squad member as Chelsea was becoming the giant they are now. But I didn’t want to do that.”

“I knew that I wouldn’t be happy sitting on the bench, watching and getting games every now and then. I couldn’t be a bit part of something that was going to be a revolution at the football club.”

He went and enjoyed six seasons with Leicester City, playing almost 200 times in the East Midlands. It was an opportunity that Sinclair knew he couldn’t have turned down.

“I decided to go to Leicester to be one of the main men there, going for a club record signing at the time. I knew I was going to be a big part of it going forward. I enjoyed my time there.”

“To reach two cup finals in two seasons, I thought was quite an achievement for a club that wasn’t the biggest club, a mid-table side.”

As Sinclair said, the Foxes made two Wembley appearances, defeated by Tottenham before beating Tranmere to win the League Cup. Much of the success, though, was down to the togetherness of the squad at Filbert Street.

“We were a strong Premier League team; we only spent one season out of the Premier League in the six years that I was at the football club.”

“While not having your household names, we had some top players, the likes of Neil Lennon, Muzzy Izzet, Matt Elliott, and Steve Walsh, who was captain and is a legend at the football club.”

“We had really good pros, a good changing room, and a manager who was brilliant at organising us and giving us that bit between the teeth going into every game. Neil was superb at that, and he had the respect of the players. You always wanted to perform for him.”

The current Leicester side have taken the Championship by storm, sitting top of the division as they look for an immediate return to the top-flight. So, are there any comparisons with the Leicester squad of the late nineties and early noughties?

“Looking at the team now, it’s a more attacking style of play. I always fancied them to be strong in the Championship if they could keep that Premier League core of the squad together.”

“The new managers come in, and they certainly hit the ground running, but they’re going to have a blip at some stage throughout the season.”

Sinclair is speaking to the Real EFL courtesy of Stocklytics. 

Who's Neil?

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

He didn't play for us, but did manage us during a dark period in our history.  Good luck to him I say.

And no, Christian Fuchs no longer plays for them.

@Wymsey started this thread

• Like 1

We were offered Kasper back last season according to him and we turned it down. Absolute shit show.  If we had had him back from January I am almost certain we would have comfortably stayed up!

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-transfers-kasper-schmeichel-8974518

Edited by Basildon Fox

24 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Some of our fans are such weirdos. Yet again, some of our fans can't help themselves attacking Lineker for saying something incredibly inoffensive that is pretty basic sense and human decency. Lineker was one of the best ever to wear the Leicester shirt and is such a likeable personality too, wish there were more of the likes of Lineker and Ian Wright with their reach actually speaking up against the obvious bullshittery of the current government. We should be proud to have him a club ambassador and club legend, we could've ended up with Matt Le Tissier instead.

I certainly agree with that part of your statement .

29 minutes ago, Sampson said:

Some of our fans are such weirdos. Yet again, some of our fans can't help themselves attacking Lineker for saying something incredibly inoffensive that is pretty basic sense and human decency. Lineker was one of the best ever to wear the Leicester shirt and is such a likeable personality too, wish there were more of the likes of Lineker and Ian Wright with their reach actually speaking up against the obvious bullshittery of the current government. We should be proud to have him a club ambassador and club legend, we could've ended up with Matt Le Tissier instead.

Good point on Le Tiss - massive bell end has massively tainted his record at Southampton. 

2 hours ago, Sampson said:

And some of our weirder fans will defend the t*at until the death. "Not in my name" comes to mind.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, David Hankey said:

And some of our weirder fans will defend the t*at until the death. "Not in my name" comes to mind.

What exactly was so offensive about what he said for you to use such strong language about him? It seems extremely innocuous and inoffensive to me.

• Like 2