Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Anorak

Europa League 19/20

Hope Sevilla can give Inter a better game. 

Would like Inter to win but don't want it to be one-sided or slightly boring like today's. Think it's quite clear Sevilla will take the game to Inter more but that might leave them open. 

Inter have the defensive solidity with Godin and De Vrij as part of a back 3 and then the pacy and powerful attack. Good combination with lots of possession too if they want it. 

38 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Ian Darke, where's that indignation when it's a player at a big English club trying to cheat to win?

This is why I can't stand the biased commentary on TV. I totally understand why they'd prefer the English team to win but to be so slanted one way distorts the picture of the game. Glossing over one incident whilst highlighting a similar one based on which team is involved is a real annoyance.

The desperation for one result means that basically we have professionals masquerading as fans and it isn't right.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

"Most players would just tell him (Conte) to shut up"

No Incey, just you. That's why the best manager in the history of the Premier League was happy to get rid of you.

I love the way that the The (self proclaimed) Guvnor's popularity and, err, career at United is explored in this article:

http://www.linkedin.com/shareArticle?mini=true&title=Did Paul Ince choose the 'Guv'nor' nickname himself%3F | The Knowledge&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Ffootball%2F2014%2Fjan%2F29%2Fpaul-ince-guvnor-nickname

He does himself few favours as a pundit, but it's probably because he does himself few favours as a person.

Edited by Vacamion
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnegan said:

I've got to be honest, I'm pretty much the last person in the world to buy conspiracy theories. I'm so intensely cynical by nature that I end up distrusting everything but particularly the sort of beardy weirdos that pedal that shit. I'm sure EL Empty and Zingari are currently off somewhere all over social media ranting against 5G and that shit isn't for me. 

But sooner or later that sort of cynicism comes 360 and points back around at the established order too. 

We live in a world where major corporations left, right and centre are being exposed for fraudulent, profiteering practices. We've had pure fantasy fraud like Enron, we've had some of the biggest companies in the world like DuPont and Volkswagen lying about horrendous environment practices to skirt regulations. 

Then within the sport we've had match fixing scandals in Spain, Italy and Greece. We've had the literal president of FIFA, the highest ranked official in our entire sport arrested and ousted for corruption, yet somehow we're still having the world cup he sold in an oil state where the infrastructure is literally being built by slaves. 

Oh and Blatter's replacement is now also under criminal investigation. 

And remember that Independent article from earlier in the year, where a Premier League executive is quoted as uttering "we can't be having too many Leicester Cities."

When you consider the financial implications of Manchester United not being in European competition, not being in the Champions league, it's massive. Forget their own owners, they're relative paupers. Think of General Motors (who own Chevy), think of Adidas and what the two of those paid for and stand to make out of United shirts. 

Think of Gazprom, the Russian state owned fossil fuel giant that's the primary sponsor of the champions league, think of Sky, BT and every other international broadcaster and what they've paid for in rights, think of every company that pays to advertise on those channels and and how much it must cost just to air one advert during the Champions league final. 

Now think about how many people around the world identify as a United fan. Think bigger than old jokes about Sussex and Kent, think about as big as you can get. Delve in to soccer social media (don't actually it'll make you want to top yourself) and look at how many kids and grown adults around the world have drunk the Red Devils koolaid and worship the club like an actual religion. 

NOW go back and watch every penalty they've been given in their actual record breaking season, in the year they needed it the most, when it looked for all the world like - without the penalties - this might actually have been a real mid table finish. Look at how VAR, what should have been the great equaliser, was used this year. Look at how "clear and obvious" has been used as an excuse to keep backing up the same big club bias we hoped it would get rid of. 

If you can do all of that and still not entertain the idea of metaphorical envelopes of cash changing hands I honestly think you're naive. 

I'm not asking you to believe the game is fixed, I'm not asking you to believe that the sport is entirely corrupt and its all predcided and there's no point us following it anymore. I get that in the heat of the moment some of us probably get carried away getting angry at the Penchester United stuff and that it can seem hysterical. I don't even know what I actually believe, really. I don't know far I think it goes or what IT even is. 

But I am asking people to use some common sense and keep an open mind. Be cynical from time to time and not so quick to trust "the establishment" just because it pains you to question if maybe the sport we love is dirty.

****ing please mate.

The games had corruption in it for 50-60 years, this is not the point.

To think you’ve uncovered Manchester United as a major player in a PL scandal because they’ve been given a few penalties you don’t like, especially when said penalties shouldn’t of mattered anyway, completely different story.

And as I’ve said before, if anyone actually believes it’s true, and doesn’t think any investigation should start by about 8 of our players being dragged over the coals for match fixing before any referee Is even looked at, that’s where the true naivety lies. Because some of the shit we did was truly unbelievable.

Edited by Manwell Pablo