Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Grebfromgrebland

Also In The News

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51304366

I would say that the various Repubs involved here have never heard of the Streisand Effect, but then I don't think that will make much difference in this case anyway.

Bolton taking the stand probably won't have much of an overall effect on the Senate verdict, but it would be interesting to see what he has to say.

22 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-51313481

Well, that was a quick change of tone. 

Hmmm...so either the US was bluffing all along or they've done a quick analysis and come out that having a certain amount of control by giving the UK help is better than having none at all.

Either way it bodes well for the UK that Pompeo appears to be all talk and no trousers on this matter.

Just watched the panorama documentary on smart motorways and I must say that grant shapps is a bit too much of a bumbling idiot to be in charge of our transport system. Surely the thing to do is get rid of smart motorways until after a proper review of what’s wrong with them and why they are causing deaths and not review the problems whilst still keeping them in operation and proclaiming them safe until the facts say otherwise.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51320848

Yeah, looks like it will be all done today. As the senator from Tennessee said, it's up to the people to decide on Trumps conduct now. Having Bolton take the stand wasn't really going to change much and anyone who wants to know what he knows can do just by reading the book anyhow.

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51276323

Well yes, an epidemic within an economic competitor can often be advantageous, yes...but it's best not to actually make that point lest you look like a sociopath.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-51276323

Well yes, an epidemic within an economic competitor can often be advantageous, yes...but it's best not to actually make that point lest you look like a sociopath.

Well I mean it's completely illiterate to think its economically advantageous. So looks like a moron and a sociopath

12 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Well I mean it's completely illiterate to think its economically advantageous. So looks like a moron and a sociopath

I shall bow to your superior knowledge on the matter - moron and sociopath they are.

Still, in that administration at least they are in good company. :thumbup:

18 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

Just watched the panorama documentary on smart motorways and I must say that grant shapps is a bit too much of a bumbling idiot to be in charge of our transport system. Surely the thing to do is get rid of smart motorways until after a proper review of what’s wrong with them and why they are causing deaths and not review the problems whilst still keeping them in operation and proclaiming them safe until the facts say otherwise.

I totally agree.

On 31/01/2020 at 00:56, yorkie1999 said:

That’s easier said than done though.What about the miles and miles of motorway currently being upgraded?As for the completed stretches,how do you suddenly un-smarten them?Block the left hand lane off maybe.Trouble is  the junctions are now built into the lanes.What ever way they do it will either cause great confusion or massive congestion.Will that actually make things safer?

Edited by Heathrow fox

8 hours ago, Heathrow fox said:

That’s easier said than done though.What about the miles and miles of motorway currently being upgraded?As for the completed stretches,how do you suddenly un-smarten them?Block the left hand lane off maybe.Trouble is  the junctions are now built into the lanes.What ever way they do it will either cause great confusion or massive congestion.Will that actually make things safer?

Surely they just close the inside lane again. If there’s something in place that increases deaths then it has to be removed.

Maybe the phrase 'to upgrade to a smart motorway' should be replaced by the more accurate 'to spend huge amounts of money and impose unrealistically low speed limits whilst the Dept. of Transport downgrades another relatively safe 3-lane motorway into a 4-lane death-trap, which doesn't really solve the congestion problem anyway'.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, String fellow said:

Maybe the phrase 'to upgrade to a smart motorway' should be replaced by the more accurate 'to spend huge amounts of money and impose unrealistically low speed limits whilst the Dept. of Transport downgrades another relatively safe 3-lane motorway into a 4-lane death-trap, which doesn't really solve the congestion problem anyway'.

A bit of a mouthful and not very catchy.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, String fellow said:

They're ****ing useless. 

And these huge swathes of road with lowered speed limits aren't about congestion anyways. Its been realised that there's a measure of control able to be imposed and so we're being controlled.

A 1984 style society is creeping in through every aspect. 

Re BBC licence: Aside from football coverage not available commercially (which is good in Oxford & Leicester) does local radio serve any purpose? (Traffic news available elsewhere.)

Also, I don't understand why a reporter(and cameraman) are often outside buildings (eg Parliament) at hours when no news will be emerging.Unnecessary, can't be much fun for reporter except getting paid for it.