Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Always Next Year

Has Chris Sutton Got Anything Good To Say About Our Manager

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Cluj are 288th in the UEFA rankings. Sutton moaning about this day coming is rubbish. They've got an inferior manager to the one they had.

Who will be devastated to see his team knocked out of the CL at this stage .....

lets not forget that brendan is a huge hoops man - he won’t be happy this morning

8 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Have to agree with a lot on this thread as much as it hurts, Cluj are a terrible side and it was an embarrassment to go out tonight.

Thats what happens when you trade in a Ferrari of a manager for a Dacia though. Lennon’s team selection and tactics were a disgrace tonight, primarily playing perhaps our best player and most certainly best midfielder at left back.

Added to that you have a board who are happy to sell players on for big money but won’t reinvest it in terms of replacements. This is the third season in a row we’ll have ended up £15-20m in profit while our chairman takes £3m bonuses and spends £4m on disco lights. A disgrace and root and branch change needs to happen at boardroom level at Celtic.

Is the Celtic ground now called Paradise?

9 minutes ago, nwl fox said:

I feel bad for you @henrik_62 as you're a really good poster on here and often the Celtic voice of reason, but I'm not gonna lie my first reaction last night was to laugh loudly when I heard that result come in. The amount of shit and disrespect we've had from Celtic fans and Celtic linked pundits like Chris Sutton since the BR appointment has been ridiculous so I can't help but feel a sense of satisfaction in that result.

That aside, I think your dominance in the league will somewhat disguise the fact that Lennon, as a long term option, was a really poor choice of replacement for BR. He is not a good manager, his stints away from Celtic have shown that. It made sense as the short term fix to see out the season, but there must have been better options available after that, it just shows a complete lack of imagination from your board. 

Lennon ticked all the boxes in that he is a yes man and he’ll curry more favour than other managers of his stature as he’s a Celtic great. Lawell can control him like a puppet in his role as de facto director of football and that’s what he’s wanted all along. That’s why Lawell and Rodgers relationship broke down as Rodgers couldn’t be controlled and fought for investment to strengthen the squad, unsuccessfully.

Not saying Rodgers wouldn’t have left anyway but had we backed him properly the decision might have become a lot harder for him to make.

The whole thing is a shambles and change is required at the top. I’m also concerned that we’ll struggle to win the league this season under Lennon.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 2

Perhaps Celtic fans will now grasp that BR was not the problem up at Celtic but the board and puppets like Sutton papering over the cracks. The Rangers issues have left Celtic with very little competition North of the border and the real challenge is in Europe and last nights knockout is a shocker. Obviously some Celtic fans have the wherewithal to look at why BR and not follow the convenient scapegoat line latched onto by the board and the likes of Sutton. Celtic appear to have done very little to have kept BR and indeed a tidy lump sum to leave early suggests they had no problems with him leaving especially as they could point the flak at him. Celtic have no real competition yet over the border and winning what you should win is no big deal, Until the knuckle draggers amongst their fans actually grasp what is going on things will decline. BR leaving for a smaller EPL club that at least has ambitions to progress may in the long term make Celtic wake up

• Like 1

Still reckon they should F off the Scottish league and join ours, they'd turn into a powerhouse reasonably quickly and make the league more exciting for overseas viewers. Then build a Dublin F.C from scratch that have 0 away following and if all goes to plan maybe introduce a team or two from Wales and see how they do

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

You pretty much answered it in the last sentence, ‘a team or two from Wales and see how they do’ - Swansea and Cardiff. Put Celtic’s current side into the top flight and they’d face a similar fate to those two sides from the last two seasons. 

No disrespect, but the proof is in their European performances. This is one of the worst Celtic sides in a while but the demise of Rangers has allowed them to get away with having not the best side and still walking the league year on year. 

It was tongue in cheek pal. read it again but this time use a sarcastic, maybe even slightly patronising voice... 

1 hour ago, murphy said:

After 6 months, I imagine Celtic fans have moved on.

When are we going to do the same?

That muppet Chris Sutton hasn't moved on. He can't open his mouth without spouting absolute nonsense about Leicester and Brendan. Absolutely no harm in laughing at another team having a terrible result. Id have laughed if it was an English team losing to Cluj as well. Just like Celtic and all other football club fans would have laughed if we had lost to such a poor team 

• Like 1

Just now, jayfox26 said:

That muppet Chris Sutton hasn't moved on. He can't open his mouth without spouting absolute nonsense about Leicester and Brendan. Absolutely no harm in laughing at another team having a terrible result. Id have laughed if it was an English team losing to Cluj as well. Just like Celtic and all other football club fans would have laughed if we had lost to such a poor team 

Tbh the absolute nonsense isn’t exclusive to Leicester and Brendan, he spouts crap consistently about Celtic too and on most subject matters.

• Like 1

As someone raised Catholic in Northern Ireland in the 90s, I really hope Celtic win 10 in a row just to piss off all the wannabe Rangers hardmen back home. Not that I'm bitter or anything....

Having said that, not fond of Celtic either really and couldnt care less what happens after 10 in a row.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Have to agree with a lot on this thread as much as it hurts, Cluj are a terrible side and it was an embarrassment to go out tonight.

Thats what happens when you trade in a Ferrari of a manager for a Dacia though. Lennon’s team selection and tactics were a disgrace tonight, primarily playing perhaps our best player and most certainly best midfielder at left back.

Added to that you have a board who are happy to sell players on for big money but won’t reinvest it in terms of replacements. This is the third season in a row we’ll have ended up £15-20m in profit while our chairman takes £3m bonuses and spends £4m on disco lights. A disgrace and root and branch change needs to happen at boardroom level at Celtic.

There's a real seismic shift in football in the last two or three decades. Massive historical clubs are now less powerful than the likes of Bournemouth, that would have been inconceivable not that long a go when a lot of us were growing up as kids. 

Clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, etc are now being strangled by their own confinement. Whilst my club has benefited tremendously as we're now one of the most powerful clubs in the world outside the obvious it's not good for the sport in general as a worldwide basis. 

I remember a North Atlantic league being touted once with clubs from Scotland, Holland, Belgium and Scandinavia forming a league.  I think it would certainly benefit the bigger clubs in those countries with it being part of the pyramid scheme in a meritocracy and not a closed shop. 

• Like 1

Just now, Gerard said:

There's a real seismic shift in football in the last two or three decades. Massive historical clubs are now less powerful than the likes of Bournemouth, that would have been inconceivable not that long a go when a lot of us were growing up as kids. 

Clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Benfica, Sporting Lisbon, etc are now being strangled by their own confinement. Whilst my club has benefited tremendously as we're now one of the most powerful clubs in the world outside the obvious it's not good for the sport in general as a worldwide basis. 

I remember a North Atlantic league being touted once with clubs from Scotland, Holland, Belgium and Scandinavia forming a league.  I think it would certainly benefit the bigger clubs in those countries with it being part of the pyramid scheme in a meritocracy and not a closed shop. 

Yeah what you say is exactly spot on. Similar to what I said a lot on here when I first joined amidst all that my dad is bigger than your dad debate around who is the biggest club.

The ‘big club’ definition is a myth in football now as there is so much more to it now given financial strength of a league, marketing, foreign investment, etc, etc. It really is an antiquated term.

• Like 3

Just now, Sly said:

Sorry, just catching up ....... I’m in utter shock at reading this.

WHO SPENDS £4,000,000 ON DISCO LIGHTS!!!

How do you even do that!?!? .... and for what reason!? 

Absurd isn’t it. So they can play a fancy light show in European games before the match. Irony is we’ve not qualified for the CL since they’ve been installed and I’m not sure we ever will qualify again given our current predicament and the forthcoming changes to the format of the competition.

Read something the other day and they used Leicester winning the league as a case study and under the proposed changes in format Leicester would have been made to play in the Europa League and not the Champions League. A farce.

• Like 3

The issue with some of these big clubs from the likes of Portugal, Scotland, Norway etc generating another league where they all compete is that they’ll largely exclude themselves from European competition. If UEFA does let them in, it’ll only be 2 or 3 max. They’d be sacrificing the potential for substantial income, in favour of regular higher gates I’d guess. Is it worth the risk? Potentially.

I’m not sure the current league, or UEFA could stop them stepping away, as it’s counter productive and restricting trade. The European Court would have a right field day. 

It would most certainly weaken the leagues that stepped out but long term, would potentially pave the way for a competitive alternative to the Premier League.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

To be fair this was true. I'm sure the majority pissed themselves at West Ham when they went out to Astra, and even more so when they managed to do it again the year after.

3 hours ago, katieakita said:

Perhaps Celtic fans will now grasp that BR was not the problem up at Celtic but the board and puppets like Sutton papering over the cracks. The Rangers issues have left Celtic with very little competition North of the border and the real challenge is in Europe and last nights knockout is a shocker. Obviously some Celtic fans have the wherewithal to look at why BR and not follow the convenient scapegoat line latched onto by the board and the likes of Sutton. Celtic appear to have done very little to have kept BR and indeed a tidy lump sum to leave early suggests they had no problems with him leaving especially as they could point the flak at him. Celtic have no real competition yet over the border and winning what you should win is no big deal, Until the knuckle draggers amongst their fans actually grasp what is going on things will decline. BR leaving for a smaller EPL club that at least has ambitions to progress may in the long term make Celtic wake up

I think what you say is a bit out of touch, the majority and the level headed amongst the fans never considered Rodgers the problem whatsoever, hence the disappointment and furore when he left. 

The way the board operate and their incompetence has transcended several managers and the Celtic support are under no illusions about that.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Jack1993 said:

Still reckon they should F off the Scottish league and join ours, they'd turn into a powerhouse reasonably quickly and make the league more exciting for overseas viewers. Then build a Dublin F.C from scratch that have 0 away following and if all goes to plan maybe introduce a team or two from Wales and see how they do

You cannot be serious!!