Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Depends what you view it all being about. I'm certainly viewing the fact we got three points instead of 1 as more of a positive than the fact Tyrone Mings didn't get to celebrate an equaliser against a mid table side quite as much as he would of done as a negative.

It's implementation in the PL, in general, has been utterly crap and even I've said I wouldn't mind getting rid of it and I'm a bid advocate of VAR because it's being mis-used every week rendering it utterly pointless but I have to say our game yesterday was one of the first games where it worked pretty much as it should for the entire game and if they can get it like that in every game all the better

It was shit, all that wait for the penalty decision then when they said no penalty they showed a clip on the screen that looked like a nailed on penalty.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, worth_the_wait said:

I know what you're getting at.

But VAR worked both for an against us yesterday.   Assuming Vardy would've scored the penalty, that's pretty much swings and roundabouts.

I just think VAR was supposed to be about over-turning the big and obvious errors ... that everyone really, really hated.

Yes but the important thing was in both cases the correct decision was made, also Jamie Vardy is not incapable of missing a penalty he has missed plenty.

And yeah, that is what it did yesterday imo, there was clearly no contact on Chillwell so no pen, Iheanacho was clearly onside, goal. Simple. I agree it has seldom been that simple for most of the season 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, red5 said:

It was shit, all that wait for the penalty decision then when they said no penalty they showed a clip on the screen that looked like a nailed on penalty.

There was no contact and it over turned an incorrect decision.

It worked exactly how it should do.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

So why was Chilwell not booked for diving, how do you know there was no contact, where is the video showing no contact? 

1 minute ago, red5 said:

So why was Chilwell not booked for diving, how do you know there was no contact, where is the video showing no contact? 

Match of the day 2 last night.

There's clearly no contact, it's not even close. You could argue he's jumped over a tackle and lost his footing so it'd be hard to conclusively call it a dive (although I think it is but there we are)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Manwell Pablo said:

There's clearly no contact, it's not even close. You could argue he's jumped over a tackle and lost his footing so it'd be hard to conclusively call it a dive (although I think it is but there we are)

That happens are the other end and all these saying it's a penalty are screaming DIVE. It's pure blue-tinted hypocrisy.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

motd2 didn't show a video that there was no contact, it wasn't clear, and I repeat the video showed on the screen at the match looked like a penalty, var is shit they have to show a video of why the decision is changed like the offside, oh and did I say var is shit.

30 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Whilst I fully agree with your point, the angle they chose to show was hardly the best. They could've produced a still of there being clearly no contact or even written "no contact". 

But, it worked perfectly and overturned an incorrect decision, both the penalty and offside flag. 2 game changing decisions brilliantly called.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, red5 said:

motd2 didn't show a video that there was no contact, it wasn't clear, and I repeat the video showed on the screen at the match looked like a penalty, var is shit they have to show a video of why the decision is changed like the offside, oh and did I say var is shit.

It's clear as day there is zero contact and I'm not going to argue with you as literally everyone in the world who has looked at it more than twice agree's.

Your complaining about how long it takes but you want a seminar talking you through the thought process of disallowing the goal. The camera angel shown in the stadium was not the best one for showing there was no contact granted but again they are trying to make the decision as quickly as they can it had already taken up a fair amount of time as they had to review two separate incidences . Showing you the best possible angel of the incident is very much a secondary priority after it's primary function which is making sure the correct decision is made. Which it did perfectly.

8 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

It's clear as day there is zero contact and I'm not going to argue with you as literally everyone in the world who has looked at it more than twice agree's.

Your complaining about how long it takes but you want a seminar talking you through the thought process of disallowing the goal. The camera angel shown in the stadium was not the best one for showing there was no contact granted but again they are trying to make the decision as quickly as they can it had already taken up a fair amount of time as they had to review two separate incidences . Showing you the best possible angel of the incident is very much a secondary priority after it's primary function which is making sure the correct decision is made. Which it did perfectly.

No one on motd2 said it was no penalty, the commentator was surprised after watching the video's that no penalty was given, he even said chilwell was clipped, what part of the ground where you in to see it was no penalty?

1 minute ago, red5 said:

No one on motd2 said it was no penalty, the commentator was surprised after watching the video's that no penalty was given, he even said chilwell was clipped, what part of the ground where you in to see it was no penalty?

From where i sit, i thought the first challenge, on vardy?, was a penalty. The Chillwell one, although VAR showed he wasn't touched, still looked an uncontrolled challenge that, if Chillwell hadn't jumped out the way of, could have resulted in an injury.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, red5 said:

I have MOTD 2 on the iplayer now and you have utterly fabricating that. Commentator gives no opinion either way, he didn't say Ben Chilwell was clipped, he said "Ben Chillwell feels he was clipped". "VAR got it right today" is the quote in the studio and the review was that uncontroversial they didn't even go over it again.

You are arguing black is white he is clearly not touched.

Edited by Manwell Pablo

5 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I have MOTD 2 on the iplayer now and you have utterly fabricating that. Commentator gives no opinion either way, he didn't say Ben Chilwell was clipped, he said "Ben Chillwell feels he was clipped". "VAR got it right today" is the quote in the studio and the review was that uncontroversial they didn't even go over it again.

You are arguing black is white he is clearly not touched.

Haha you have to watch motd2 on iplayer, ok from what I remember at no time did the commentator think it wasn't a penalty and he was surprised it wasn't given, no clear video was shown of it not being a penalty.

I'm not bothered about motd2 it's all about being in the ground and getting the right decision for the fans, when during the game did you decide it wasn't a penalty?

3 minutes ago, red5 said:

Haha you have to watch motd2 on iplayer, ok from what I remember at no time did the commentator think it wasn't a penalty and he was surprised it wasn't given, no clear video was shown of it not being a penalty.

I'm not bothered about motd2 it's all about being in the ground and getting the right decision for the fans, when during the game did you decide it wasn't a penalty?

You've got nothing to worry about then have you as the right decision was made.

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

All the arguments for or against VAR ... sometimes a picture just says it all.

Midway through the 2nd half at Old Trafford yesterday.

Defender Tyrone Mings scores an excellent volley, and a crucial goal to bring his team back level (in front of 73000 people).

Cue for mad celebration by the player?

No. 

He just shrugs his shoulders and jogs back to his own half and has the expression on his face that anyone could read ...

"I haven't got the slightest idea if that goal will stand or be ruled out"

It's not really what it's about, is it?  

Was literally his choice not to do that. Plenty of other players are able to celebrate even though they know VAR is about yet Mings fancied not celebrating. 

So yes, it's not what it's about but that's not wholly down to VAR. 

22 minutes ago, red5 said:

Why is watching MOTD2 on iPlayer funny?

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

You've got nothing to worry about then have you as the right decision was made.

How do you know the right decision was made? Where in the ground were you and what made you think the var decision was right?