Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

38 minutes ago, Deucalion said:

Think back to all the times either Leicester or England have had the outcome of a game ruined due to a bad decision. 

Maradona's Hand of God

David Speedie at Wembley

And I can't think of any others off the top of my head, but I know there are many, many more.

Could England have won the World Cup in 1986?  Could Leicester have been founder members of the Premier League?

if VAR means an short, uncomfortable wait, while an issue is resolved, then surely it has to be worth it to ensure outcomes are fair?

Would we have won it in 1966?

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, martyn said:

So your issue is then surely with the rule, not VAR?

"IFAB law states that it is a handball offence if a player gains possession/control of the ball after it has touched their hand/arm and then scores in the opponents’ goal or creates a goal-scoring opportunity. It doesn’t matter if it’s accidental" 

VAR showed the ball hit an arm leading to a goal. Therefore a clear error based on the new rule, surely? 

No its not. 

Why is that rule not implented over the whole 90 mins if it's that important? 

Why just on certain corners? 

3 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Have to say that being at the stadium the experience is very poor. The problem is you can’t see what the VAR team is looking at so you’re left sitting there clueless as to what’s even being looked at. 

For me the footage should be shown shown on the TV as they are looking at it.

Other than that if the correct decision is made I’m for it but it’s current implementation needs improvement. 

its so fans dont get angry at the decisions made.

1 minute ago, womp said:

its so fans dont get angry at the decisions made.

The problem with it’s current interpretation is it feels like you are being judged by some religious entity who determines your fate, and then you see the result. At least in real time you can make your own conclusions. 

Sitting there you have no idea how long it will take or what’s happening. It feels weird and unenjoyable. 

That said after the decision went our way it massively inmproved the atmosphere!

19 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

There was potentially a massive talking point today for me. When Perez clearly handled the ball to bring it under control, if we had gone on and scored I have no doubt that it would have been disallowed.

But.....

We got a corner from the resulting attack. If we had scored from the corner the goal would have stood. 

This for me was exactly the sort of issue I was worried about with VAR. Myself and others around me found ourselves in a bizarre situation of not wanting the attack  to result in a goal, because we knew it would be disallowed. So when it goes out for a corner everyone is thinking ‘better than scoring’. Just an odd situation to be in. 

Edited by rn9013

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

The problem with it’s current interpretation is it feels like you are being judged by some religious entity who determines your fate, and then you see the result. At least in real time you can make your own conclusions. 

Sitting there you have no idea how long it will take or what’s happening. It feels weird and unenjoyable. 

That said after the decision went our way it massively inmproved the atmosphere!

I've not had the luxury of sitting through it but I understand.

we have score reviews here in the AFL and they cant get them right and we see what they look at on the big  screen.I'd rather not see them butcher the call.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, MattP said:

No its not. 

Why is that rule not implented over the whole 90 mins if it's that important? 

Why just on certain corners? 

Not really sure what you're trying to say? What other corners?

There was only 1 incident in the game which resulted in the ball hitting the net. The replays showed it hit an arm, leading to a goal. Therefore overturned as per the new rules introduced.

You stated your issue was with VAR. Disagreeing with a rule is fair enough, but that has nothing to do with the implementation of the technology.

Decision aside, the 

actual implementation of it today was dreadful. 

Goal scored, players celebrating, fans celebrating both teams line up for the kick off and then VAR kicks in. 

I don’t know if that’s down to the VAR officials or the club getting it displayed on the scoreboards but it needs to be much much faster. 

12 minutes ago, rn9013 said:

This for me was exactly the sort of issue I was worried about with VAR. Myself and others around me found ourselves in a bizarre situation of not wanting the attack  to result in a goal, because we knew it would be disallowed. So when it goes out for a corner everyone is thinking ‘better than scoring’. Just an odd situation to be in. 

I thought the new handball rule was only if it resulted in a direct goal or an assist. Perez would have had neither from where he handled the ball would he? 

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Why?

Just didn’t feel like football. When you celebrate a goal and take the ball back to the halfway line it’s a goal. To then wait 2 mins to see if it’s a goal or not just felt strange. At this stage I want to be rolling my sleeves up and going for an equaliser not wait for someone watching the TV to decide my fate!

2 minutes ago, brookfox said:

Just didn’t feel like football. When you celebrate a goal and take the ball back to the halfway line it’s a goal. To then wait 2 mins to see if it’s a goal or not just felt strange. At this stage I want to be rolling my sleeves up and going for an equaliser not wait for someone watching the TV to decide my fate!

Agree the decision process needed to start a min or so earlier rather than as we've lined up. 

But I think the tech did its job fine, just implementing it needs changing 

2 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Agree the decision process needed to start a min or so earlier rather than as we've lined up. 

But I think the tech did its job fine, just implementing it needs changing 

Yeah it’s not a tech problem. Things like goal line technology works perfectly and has enhanced the game. I’ve just not seen VAR have the same impact. We’ll definitely be on the other side of the experience at some point this season and I’m not looking forward to it!

2 minutes ago, brookfox said:

Yeah it’s not a tech problem. Things like goal line technology works perfectly and has enhanced the game. I’ve just not seen VAR have the same impact. We’ll definitely be on the other side of the experience at some point this season and I’m not looking forward to it!

Think as we get used to it, and the officials do as well, this will become smoother

Guest MattP

This poll is 50/50 after it saved us a point.

Imagine what it's going to be like when it denies us a win at Anfield because Vardy had his chin offside lol

For all those on about fans celebrating and spontaneity, how many times have fans celebrated a goal to see the linesman’s flag raised? Goals have been disallowed long before VAR, many of them after fans have celebrated. 

Like many have said, once the initial hysteria has ellapsed, and the process sped up, 9 times out of 10 it will be checked and a decision made before the teams line up. If the correct decision is reached, it is a benefit for the game.

It will stop referees bottling big decisions away at big teams saying they didn’t see it.

The line for me is crossed with fans chanting VAR when a player goes down in the box (our fans today). Also the irony of chanting F* ck VAR and then cheering the decision...

• Like 4

Didn't see anyone protesting about the goal so was a bit of a surprise when it got disallowed. Was bizarre celebrating Wolves bad fortune in this way - but I'm sure we'll be on the end of it soon enough,

I'd always been quite comfortable with the ref making the calls, good and bad and accepting the bad calls as part of the game. I'm not really sure VAR improves the game.

Oh, and most importantly and fan shouting "V.. A.. R..  V.. A.. R.." needs expelling from the stadium and their season ticket cut into a million pieces.