Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

It was interesting for the 2nd no Brighton player appealed for offside whereas they did for the 1st and even Graham Potter said they were lucky.

Says a lot ..

I agree with the point made that they must have only looked at the handball and not foul for the penalty.

Wasn’t like it was in a different phase .

Stuart Atwell has a long history of not seeing things very well .

Ask John Eustace !

1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

It was interesting for the 2nd no Brighton player appealed for offside whereas they did for the 1st and even Graham Potter said they were lucky.

Says a lot ..

I agree with the point made that they must have only looked at the handball and not foul for the penalty.

Wasn’t like it was in a different phase .

Stuart Atwell has a long history of not seeing things very well .

Ask John Eustace !

You could see vesty moaning at the ref about the arm pull. So does that mean the ref hasn’t asked the VAR to check if there was an obvious foul? or that the VAR didn’t have an angle to show it? 

atwell has history for being inept as you say but he isn’t a terrible ref - just lacks authority 

Having spent a couple hundred quid yesterday taking my boys there I’m done with VAR. It’s not a secret that I objected it it from the start. The loss of the certainty of goal in celebration isn’t worth what we now have.  My enjoyment of the game, whether live or on the tv is reduced because the very thing we go for as fans  (that mad celebration) is stunted on most occasions. Some of you seem able to cope with that - it doesn’t matter if it’s a goal or not - you just want to go nuts - but I can’t do that if I think there is any doubt in the outcome. Funnily enough yesterday wasn’t like that because I didn’t have any doubts ……….which peed me off even more! 

without var we would have still lost yesterday - but we’d accept that we’d been screwed over by the officials - if happens. They’re not perfect, they make mistakes like all of us do and they don’t have technology to review the incidents,  

we DONT want the game re refereed but that leaves a grey area where some calls are and some calls aren’t.  At the moment it seems they make up the rules on how the VAR gets involved as they go along. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, lcfcfoz said:

Has anybody got var footage from the game. Initially when they showed the corner from the goal line angle the ball looked clearly out, yet the 2nd replay only showed the ball already in the air from the corner, and they never replayed it. Can someone find the footage?

That’s the irony - they will have checked that but they didn’t see fit to check for an obvious foul in the incident. 

I have been supportive of VAR, as I believed it could clear out a lot of those baffling and frustrating decisions, that annoyed me with football.

Instead we still have those baffling and frustrating decisions, and have made the whole football experience less enjoyable.

Cancel it. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, st albans fox said:
1 hour ago, Super_horns said:

You could see vesty moaning at the ref about the arm pull. So does that mean the ref hasn’t asked the VAR to check if there was an obvious foul? or that the VAR didn’t have an angle to show it? 

I just don't think the VAR official has checked it regardless. All they've gone with is the handball. They definitely did have the angles because they showed a different one shortly after where its zoomed in on Maupay. 

It's just an outright embarrassment of the execution of something that's meant to help referees. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I just don't think the VAR official has checked it regardless. All they've gone with is the handball. They definitely did have the angles because they showed a different one shortly after where its zoomed in on Maupay. 

It's just an outright embarrassment of the execution of something that's meant to help referees. 

We deserve an explanation. 

when it’s a high profile game, PGMOL or the PL come out and say that a mistake was made.  We won’t get anything - not that it makes any difference…..

They have several officials in the VAR room - surely one can check if the ball has gone out and another if the hand ball is correct and another if there is an obvious offence ?  I bet you that all three of them look at the same things together which means they have little time to do their job properly.  in this case you can see that vester has pointed out the holding offence - so it’s a compete dereliction of their responsibilities not to check that. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, worth_the_wait said:

I've said it numerous times before ... VAR is the worst thing that has happened to football.

It is absolutely killing the game with it's slow, tedious "stewards enquiry" type re-analysis of every major incident.

But VAR can't even get them right!  

In fact over the last couple of years, I reckon VAR is wrong as often as it's right.   It's just exchanged one problem for another, but in the process is killing the game.   Absolutely insane.

Completely agree. It's got an unquestionable drawback (even if the equalisers had counted after the initial faff, it wouldn't be quite the same, the moment has been stifled) yet it frequently fails to do what it's set out to do anyway.

It's dreadful. The Euros was a very small sample size of games in which people watched the vast majority. There's already been more Premier League games this season than there were in the Euros. To call it a success off the back of that was naïve from some.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

They obviously aren’t seeing what the tv guys can pick up.

Surely the VAR ought to see what everyone can otherwise it’s not helping them and cashing confusion for people and errors being made .

1 minute ago, glenny_fox said:

About as close to an explanation as we'll ever get. Still mind-blowing that 2nd one was ruled out.

He's chatting shit for the 2nd one. 'a movement towards the ball'? Is he? Barnes is just looking at it sailing in lol

I still don't believe the 2nd one should have been ruled out. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

About as close to an explanation as we'll ever get. Still mind-blowing that 2nd one was ruled out.

I don’t get the explanation for the West Ham one either, is he saying because a free kick was awarded then VAR cannot intervene to advise a penalty 

As this is a VAR thread, can I ask if the two disallowed goals were disallowed by the linesman/referee or by VAR.

I only saw the first half. Without VAR, Brighton would still have been given a penalty. The linesman made that call (consulted the ref). The only thing VAR could (and should) have done is overrule the on-field decision.

If both the goals were disallowed by the linesman too, then again, VAR didn't rob us as without it, both goals would have been disallowed.

The whole process doesn't seem to work, and for the slight improvements we saw, officiating teams are still making bad mistakes. And there is no hiding now with technology available.

13 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Barnes can make whatever movement he wants until Ndidi heads it. After Ndidi headed it he ****ing twitches, even then. A movement towards the ball does not mean automatically offside. It has to CLEARLY impact an opponent.

In reference to your first sentence, seeing a lot say he’s in front of the keeper. That’s because it’s on on-side at that point !

• Like 1

I wonder if it's a tactic Brighton have actually thought up or just a coincidence. I think more teams will take the chances now and catch someone offside. For Thiago Silva's goal for Chelsea, there was a Spurs player marking the chelsea player in front of the keeper but if he leaves him he's definitely being called offside. 

46 minutes ago, glenny_fox said:

What a ****ing nob head.

Thats why the game is ****ed when you’ve got twats like this in the game.

Compares it to Cantwell who was literally on Kaspers toes throughout ‘directly’ in front of him. Their keeper had a clear line of sight in both goals. This guy was a pro for how long? The quality of refs is abysmal and the sheer lack of common sense is infuriating to see.

One more time what a absolute **** that guy is. He’s still getting a decent wage for spouting that crap.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jmono84 said:

What a ****ing nob head.

Thats why the game is ****ed when you’ve got twats like this in the game.

Compares it to Cantwell who was literally on Kaspers toes throughout ‘directly’ in front of him. Their keeper had a clear line of sight in both goals. This guy was a pro for how long? The quality of refs is abysmal and the sheer lack of common sense is infuriating to see.

One more time what a absolute **** that guy is. He’s still getting a decent wage for spouting that crap.

Nothing against bald people but in the words of Sir David Brent :

dermot.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

44 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

As this is a VAR thread, can I ask if the two disallowed goals were disallowed by the linesman/referee or by VAR.

I only saw the first half. Without VAR, Brighton would still have been given a penalty. The linesman made that call (consulted the ref). The only thing VAR could (and should) have done is overrule the on-field decision.

If both the goals were disallowed by the linesman too, then again, VAR didn't rob us as without it, both goals would have been disallowed.

The whole process doesn't seem to work, and for the slight improvements we saw, officiating teams are still making bad mistakes. And there is no hiding now with technology available.

Both goals was ruled out for being in the eye line of the goalkeeper, linesman’s flag is up for offside on both goals 

what we don’t know is has the linesman flagged solely based because Barnes is in an offside position and VAR have then told the ref he’s interfering with play OR has the referee come to that conclusion and VAR has backed him up as I’m not sure how the linesman can see that Barnes is interfering from his angle 

• Like 3