Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

On his early displays I’m not yet sure Perez is a significantly better option than Gray? I know he needs time to settle, but at least Gray looks like he might do something! I hope he finds his feet sooner rather than later - because Mark and Harvey will rightly be feeling like they deserve a chance to start.

I genuinely feel that Gray has great ability and I think dropping him is part of Brendan’s master-plan to get the best out of him! Perhaps I’m posting more in hope than expectation, but a little optimism isn’t a bad thing!

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AylestoneRaider said:

On his early displays I’m not yet sure Perez is a significantly better option than Gray? I know he needs time to settle, but at least Gray looks like he might do something! I hope he finds his feet sooner rather than later - because Mark and Harvey will rightly be feeling like they deserve a chance to start.

I genuinely feel that Gray has great ability and I think dropping him is part of Brendan’s master-plan to get the best out of him! Perhaps I’m posting more in hope than expectation, but a little optimism isn’t a bad thing!

He was leading scorer at Newcastle last season. He most definitely is an upgrade. Just need to work out how best to use him. 

• Like 4

On 19/08/2019 at 17:29, rachhere said:

He was leading scorer at Newcastle last season. He most definitely is an upgrade. Just need to work out how best to use him. 

he wasn't playing right wing last season he was playing in behind Rondon

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

he wasn't playing right wing last season he was playing in behind Rondon

Which is when he started scoring the majority of his goals according to Newcastle fans commenting that in the centre was by far his most comfortable and effective position as opposed to out on the right wing where, whilst he was industrious, he was by and large ineffective . However, certain posters on here didn't think that correct. I was going purely upon what I read on the Newcastle forum as opposed to personal knowledge. My opinion was that him on the right and Maddison on the left nullified both their strengths and it merely appeared as a way to shoe them into the team.

• Like 1

On 19/08/2019 at 10:29, rachhere said:

I'm sure Rodgers is aware that both Maddison & Perez are both are better in certain positions and we will a few different permutations when Praet is included

20 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Which is when he started scoring the majority of his goals according to Newcastle fans commenting that in the centre was by far his most comfortable and effective position as opposed to out on the right wing where, whilst he was industrious, he was by and large ineffective . However, certain posters on here didn't think that correct. I was going purely upon what I read on the Newcastle forum as opposed to personal knowledge. My opinion was that him on the right and Maddison on the left nullified both their strengths and it merely appeared as a way to shoe them into the team.

All the stats completely contradict that I’m afraid so do lots of Newcastle fans on their forums who all said (which backs up the stats) that his purple patch was when the played on the right.

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/ayoze-perez/leistungsdaten/spieler/246968

According to this he scored 11 of his 13 league goals when deployed on the right wing, only got 2 as a 2nd striker. I think a lot of the upturn was when Almiron came in and they had another creative outlet to allow Perez to roam.

yes but whilst Maddison is on our other wing he cannot roam for us or he, Vardy and Maddison will be trading on each others toes.

also that site, like Wikipedia can be edited by just about anyone so don't take it as absolute fact

Edited by Jimmy

5 minutes ago, Jimmy said:

yes but whilst Maddison is on our other wing he cannot roam for us or he, Vardy and Maddison will be trading on each others toes.

also that site, like Wikipedia can be edited by just about anyone so don't take it as absolute fact

The stats are are right, they were across pretty reputable stat sites like whoscored. His heat maps and positioning for individual games are all still on there. He played right and drifted inside to support, which is what Rodgers wants and where he got a lot of joy for them. 

They did play play on the counter a lot though, so how effective he will be without the space to drive into and with packed defences we shall see.

23 minutes ago, Babylon said:

The stats are are right, they were across pretty reputable stat sites like whoscored. His heat maps and positioning for individual games are all still on there. He played right and drifted inside to support, which is what Rodgers wants and where he got a lot of joy for them. 

They did play play on the counter a lot though, so how effective he will be without the space to drive into and with packed defences we shall see.

that may well work here too but not if Maddison is doing the same on the other wing, someone needs to stay wide to create space

52 minutes ago, Babylon said:

All the stats completely contradict that I’m afraid so do lots of Newcastle fans on their forums who all said (which backs up the stats) that his purple patch was when the played on the right.

As I said, I purely went on what I read on their site just after we bought him to gauge their thoughts. They seemed to suggest that Rafa moved him inside more towards the second half of the season whereupon he had more success. I took it as read and couldn't say when and who against he scored his goals so I accept what you say if that's what you've done 👍

50 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I agree, Maddison and Perez in a 4-3-3 isn't for me. Get Barnes in

I agree. We’ve played our best as far as I can see with a number 4, number 8 and number 10 as the three in midfield; with two wingers and a striker ahead of them. 

I wish we’d experiment more with 3 at the back as well, but it seems to be written into every manager’s contract that this is forbidden since the Great Escape!

1 hour ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I agree. We’ve played our best as far as I can see with a number 4, number 8 and number 10 as the three in midfield; with two wingers and a striker ahead of them. 

I wish we’d experiment more with 3 at the back as well, but it seems to be written into every manager’s contract that this is forbidden since the Great Escape!

Personally,  unlike the great escape,  and like the current England team, I don't think we're that weak at the back to need 3, it would be a waste of a place for a more mobile midfielder or winger or other attacking option. 

• Like 1

As stated elsewhere, this is the sh*t or bust season for Gray. He must

• train his way into the first XI
  • play well in the first XI
  • show guile and consistency 

else he he is done in my opinion, and rightly so.

12 hours ago, Jimmy said:

that may well work here too but not if Maddison is doing the same on the other wing, someone needs to stay wide to create space

Which is what the full backs are meant to do in that formation. 

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

I reckon Gray gets sold in January. 

Yeah I think this is the final phase of his career here, I don't see a future for him but we best bring in a proper winger to replace him as we are criminally short already.

• Like 2