Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

36 minutes ago, Ted Maul said:

He's had plenty of opportunities to prove his worth- he's not first team standard, as far as I'm concerned. 

Think he should be given the chance this year after a summer of coaching with BR. 

Hopefully after being told what he needs to work on, we may see some improvement 

Not optimistic that he will have improved next time we see him on the pitch. 

He can scare teams when he runs at them but poor finishing, selfishness and a weak footballing mindset are not easily dealt with. Would be great if BR could get more out of him but competition for a place is getting stronger.

On the one hand, there's nothing wrong with him previously having been frustrated about lack of game time and opportunities - it'd have been more worrying if he wasn't. Some of the tweets were immature but don't mean that much in the grand scheme of things. On the other hand, he's since had opportunities to try and prove his worth in the side and he hasn't done nearly enough. Mahrez leaving was the perfect window for him to come into his own and make himself undroppable and he just hasn't done that. I sympathise with him to an extent, as winger is probably the most difficult position to consistently be productive, and wingers with really great numbers are few and far between. However, the benchmark is the likes of  Fraser, Deulofeu or Gudmundssen and he's not hit those levels in any of his seasons.

Just looking through the stats for last season, there really aren't many wingers outside the top 6 who got many assists!

Perez has taken his place in the match squad. 3 years of potential and his career has plateaued. He's barely better than when he signed. The longest serving U21 international whilst others have come through after him and progressed before him, he's still there.

He has pace, he just has such a frustrating end product. It's up to him, if he wants to be a success or just another Jermaine Pennant.

one word that demarai and a lot of our youngsters including chilwell struggle with, composure. it’s like they get within 20 yards of the goal and you can see them panic and almost hear the sigh of relief as they hurriedly blast it against the nearest opponent, phew now the pressures off me.

Edited by shade
  • Like 3

Problem with Gray is he's all fart and no sh#t. Looks like he should be a great player, quick and decent at beating a player then zero end product. It's incredibly frustrating because if he gets his end product sorted he could be phenomenal but it's not through lack of chances.

• Like 1

This omission from the matchday squad is a sign that if Demarai doesn't improve then he will be sold, a decision I think needs to be taken. It's no use just hoping he improves, Rodgers now demands end product from his players and if they show precious little sign of delivering then their days will be numbered. I actually hope he gets his head down and shows signs of being able to get better, his pace and movement is an option we badly need in a squad that is severely lacking in width. Over to you Demarai, time to step up and deliver.

8 hours ago, iancognito said:

Perez has taken his place in the match squad. 3 years of potential and his career has plateaued. He's barely better than when he signed. The longest serving U21 international whilst others have come through after him and progressed before him, he's still there.

He has pace, he just has such a frustrating end product. It's up to him, if he wants to be a success or just another Jermaine Pennant.

Pennant could swing a beautiful cross in...

15 hours ago, Bezzanator89 said:

www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3873091/demarai-gray-using-frustration-from-sitting-on-the-bench-at-leicester-to-boost-england-u21-chances

Extract taken from an article (yes, I know, it was published by The Sun, but his open frustration is still well-documented elsewhere) in June 2017 around the time of Craig Shakespeare's appointment as Leicester City manager:

DEMARAI GRAY is using his Foxes frustration to boost England’s bid for Under-21 glory.

Having been a sub in the first two group games, Gray was handed a shock start for his country after a season in which he made precious few for his club. All but nine of his 30 Premier League appearances for Leicester last season came off the bench.

“I was on the bench a lot last season at Leicester and it was frustrating. Is there anger inside me? Yes. I used this tournament to motivate myself. I want to show people what I am capable of.

“I got through that season and I’m looking forward to next season with Leicester. But I am hungry and want to make my mark. I want to express myself as much as I can. I don’t feel like I have been able to do that. As soon as I get a chance I want to have my best game.”

It was here that I had concerns that Demarai, for all his natural talent/potential, is not content with sitting on the sidelines. If Brendan is doing the same as his post-match interview confirmed that DG needs to work on areas of his game. Just like there were reasons why he was on the bench rather than the starting XI before. And as there were clubs sniffing around for his signature, Craig Shakespeare had to give him that chance he was pining for, a consistent run of games to justify his inclusion in the team. In my opinion this was a sign of weak player management on Shakespeare's part, essentially caving to a player's needs against what must have been better judgement because DG went public with his frustrations/anger. And his reaction to regular bench time is getting angry, is he even mature enough for professional football?

Two years, and three managers later, has Gray succeeded in cementing his place in the matchday squad? No. Figures do not lie and DG knows he needs to up his game, his exclusion from the team/bench today highlighted this further. Brendan has been in the management game long enough, and he is no fool. General consensus on here suggests that this could well be his last season unless he buck his ideas up and improves his performances.

Awful attitude - get rid 

• Haha 1

Interesting comments again from Rodgers in regards to the expectations they require from Gray. Let's see if he takes it in a positive manner and is capable of stepping up and improving, it's been a long time coming. We really have very little pace from midfield if he's not an option currently, I think this was telling last Sunday too.

• Like 1

Leicester City winger Demarai Gray issued challenge by Brendan Rodgers after being dropped

Demarai Gray has been challenged by Brendan Rodgers to take a step forward this season after the Leicester City winger was left out of the matchday squad for the club’s Premier League opener.

Gray’s exclusion from the goalless draw with Wolves was the first time since joining City in January 2016 that he had been dropped from a Premier League matchday despite being fit.

To get back into the team, Rodgers has told Gray he must perform at his best in training.

The 23-year-old wide-man has taken those words on board this week.

“He’s a talented player, Demarai,” said Rodgers.

“It’s one as a coach where you look at training and the strategy going into the game in terms of what you need within it.

“It’s a very competitive squad, which is what we wanted, but he understands where he’s at. I spoke to him at length about where I see him.

“Hopefully this year, he can make a step forward. That’s going to mean in training that he has to be the very best he possibly can be.

“That’s the same for other players as well. You've got to show that mentality in training to improve your game and give yourself an opportunity to be in the matchday squad.

“That’s something he’s done very much this week.”

Gray is in contention for this weekend’s trip to Chelsea along with the rest of the City squad, with Rodgers fortunate not to have any injury concerns.

“We’ve got no injury worries,” Rodgers said. “Everyone is fit and has been training very well.”

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/leicester-city-winger-demarai-gray-3219825

Shows promise every single season, and then is either frozen out or can't deliver.

Still, I think there's a player in there somewhere. He's no Leroy Sané, but surely able to compete on a Premier League level consistently.

Just needs to up his ante and be more simple in his approach to games and more efficient in front of goal.

53 minutes ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Good Championship quality, but no more than that.

Let’s see. I have frequently and vociferously stated that Gray is not up to standard. 

This is it  now though as Brendan has given him what is basically an ultimatum.

Step up or ship out. Maybe it’s what he needs :dunno:

So let’s all hope he kicks on, I genuinely hope so.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DANGEROUS TIGER said:

Good Championship quality, but no more than that.

Forgive me, but I'm taking your player ratings with a pinch of salt.

You've classed Drinkwater, a huge player in our title winning year, as championship quality. You don't become a prem champion and a mainstay in the team whilst being championship quality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

If Rodgers does improve him it'll be a master stroke. Taking a bit of a harder line with him a few years ago wouldn't have worked but it might well do now, perhaps the penny is dropping.

I don't see it as taking a hard line more a manager giving a player clear instructions on what he needs to improve on, old fashioned coaching

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ian Nacho said:

Pretty much saying he doesn't try as hard as others in training. 

Chilwell was on soccer am saying that since riyad left, Gray has had the most fines for turning up late to training. Explains a lot, if he can't be arsed to get himself to work on time then there'll be no work for him because unfortunately he's not anywhere near as naturally talented as Mahrez was. 

It's alright moaning about not being given chances, but when they're given you've gotta take them with both hands. I'm sure he will work his way into Rodgers' plans again, but he's gotta work twice as hard to stay in those plans. 

• Like 1