Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

How do we all think Demarai Gray will respond to today's omission? Post-match comments from Brendan Rodgers suggested that he had a conversation with DG prior to announcing the line-up. Stringer and Matt Piper were both in unison that he needs to generally up his overall game in the final third. But he has been known to spit his dummy out when he doesn't get the game time, will he do it again?

If we learnt one thing today,  it's that there is at lease one winger spot up for grabs. It's up to Gray now to improve and earn that spot. Will he? I doubt it, he's been here a number of years and hasn't progressed much.

He doesn’t have the mentality to know he has to improve and likely feels hard done by. Look how many years he had to take something off Mahrez, he just complained about lack of game time and is still the same player we signed from Birmingham. If anything I’m more concerned about Maddison and Chilwell sulking because their mate isn’t around on match day.

• Like 2

Not his greatest fan but hopefully this will give him a kick up the arse, we needed wingers today not 2 defensive midfielders and maybe just maybe Gray can get his head down and show us he can play or just loan the lad out to a Championship club for 6 months... 

Statistics speak for themselves for Demarai Gray really;

Appearances - 111

Goals - 8

Assists - 6

Cross Accuracy - 17%

Shot Accuracy - 34%

(Stats taken from Premierleague.com)

At 23 years of age he is no longer a hot prospect and whilst there's clearly ability in there somewhere, it's time for another club to find it.

Amazing how much piss he boils. He's very frustrating but he's not necessarily a bad player.

Seriously hope he gets it together here, I just think alot of fans have given up and will spill bile and boo at any opportunity. Ultimately it's up to the manager to decide and to get more out of him, if he doesnt see anything in Dimmy he'd have probably been moved on in the summer with his stock still high. I think similarly to Soyuncu he needs to be shown some love by the fans and he needs to up his game

1 hour ago, Paddy. said:

Has he? When? Genuine question.

No, he has.  He said that the club had held him back instead of realising that if he wanted a first team spot he had to earn it.  Shakespeare publicly told him that he should respect his team mates.

Lots of not so subtle cryptic tweets about his lack of game time. 

To be fair, we haven't had any of that for a while now, but on the other hand he has been playing.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 2

www.thesun.co.uk/sport/3873091/demarai-gray-using-frustration-from-sitting-on-the-bench-at-leicester-to-boost-england-u21-chances

Extract taken from an article (yes, I know, it was published by The Sun, but his open frustration is still well-documented elsewhere) in June 2017 around the time of Craig Shakespeare's appointment as Leicester City manager:

DEMARAI GRAY is using his Foxes frustration to boost England’s bid for Under-21 glory.

Having been a sub in the first two group games, Gray was handed a shock start for his country after a season in which he made precious few for his club. All but nine of his 30 Premier League appearances for Leicester last season came off the bench.

“I was on the bench a lot last season at Leicester and it was frustrating. Is there anger inside me? Yes. I used this tournament to motivate myself. I want to show people what I am capable of.

“I got through that season and I’m looking forward to next season with Leicester. But I am hungry and want to make my mark. I want to express myself as much as I can. I don’t feel like I have been able to do that. As soon as I get a chance I want to have my best game.”

It was here that I had concerns that Demarai, for all his natural talent/potential, is not content with sitting on the sidelines. If Brendan is doing the same as his post-match interview confirmed that DG needs to work on areas of his game. Just like there were reasons why he was on the bench rather than the starting XI before. And as there were clubs sniffing around for his signature, Craig Shakespeare had to give him that chance he was pining for, a consistent run of games to justify his inclusion in the team. In my opinion this was a sign of weak player management on Shakespeare's part, essentially caving to a player's needs against what must have been better judgement because DG went public with his frustrations/anger. And his reaction to regular bench time is getting angry, is he even mature enough for professional football?

Two years, and three managers later, has Gray succeeded in cementing his place in the matchday squad? No. Figures do not lie and DG knows he needs to up his game, his exclusion from the team/bench today highlighted this further. Brendan has been in the management game long enough, and he is no fool. General consensus on here suggests that this could well be his last season unless he buck his ideas up and improves his performances.

We could have done with someone running with the ball at that defence today couldn't we?

Could he have done any less than Vards?

He did it before when he didn't get played with subtle digs towards the management on social media. To be honest that's why I've been a little less forgiving with him. Talked the talk, quite frankly he hasn't walked the walk.

3 hours ago, lgfualol said:

He is a young player that most of our fanbase cant relate to so the attitude problems came from thin air I reckon.

Most of our squad are young players so that idea doesn't really bear scrutiny.  

I like Gray as a player. We could have done with a winger from the word go today. So narrow and players out of position. Maybe he needs to go if he’s not going to get many games here. I’m a fan but I can’t deny he hasn’t been as good as I thought he would be. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1