Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Bezzanator89

Demarai Gray

Demarai is great, isn't he? We live in an age of tribal politics, isolation, anger, increasing intolerance and increasing calls of traitor. Yet everyone comes together to discuss how Demarai won't make it. Truely, a sticking plaster in a divided age.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I’m seemingly one of the few LCFC fans who rate Gray. He hasn’t fulfilled his potential admittedly, but I’d far rather see him play on the right that Ayoze Perez. I’d have him on the bench at least. We have really lacked width in the first two games and he’s a good option. 

14 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Personally,  unlike the great escape,  and like the current England team, I don't think we're that weak at the back to need 3, it would be a waste of a place for a more mobile midfielder or winger or other attacking option. 

I get that - but it is good to have different options to be able to switch too. Could be good to go 3 at the back when we are defending a lead away from home for example.

whether 3 at the back is defensive or attacking can depend on the tactics and opposition. If you push the wide players right forward it’s actually more attacking than 4 at the back as you effectively deploy more players in the opponents half

1 hour ago, AylestoneRaider said:

I get that - but it is good to have different options to be able to switch too. Could be good to go 3 at the back when we are defending a lead away from home for example.

whether 3 at the back is defensive or attacking can depend on the tactics and opposition. If you push the wide players right forward it’s actually more attacking than 4 at the back as you effectively deploy more players in the opponents half

I hear what you say but he way Rodgers plays our fullbacks are supposed to be attacking anyway. To see a lead out away from home I'd favour Mendy or another dfm to a lumbering centre half with less ability on the ball. I think it will be very rare if at all that we see Rodgers opting for it personally. 

I will Keep to my  own thoughts..I said beginning of last season , I give him Two n half seasons (unless he/we decide an agree on a move).

I actually dont think hes been as bad as some will have.What hasnt happened,he hasnt stamped his authority on making himself an automatic

First 13 Choice player.

If by January BR sees he aint coming up to his & team expectations,and we see he has less bench or gametime,then BR will see he will be told,its time!!

Until then I will encourage and support him & his selection...Without a doubt he owes it to himself,to show the city faithfull,he can put in some consistent & values performances...

I believe there will be tactical rotation under BRodgers. Not One Player "yet" is an Automatic First choice,Plus there are 4 positions that can be played around with.

Depending on formations,that Rodgers will be contemplating....Let Rodgers have the worry,our individual likes dislikes/likes mean absolutely nothing...

So making up scenario for ones own issues or agendas, IMO is just wasted twaddle...

Edited by fuchsntf

49 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

I think the fact Rogers is putting Barnes on the bench in front of him says it al really 

All you have to do is watch the two players though. Barnes will pass, spin and run in behind off the ball and look for the return ball.

Gray will pass to a midfielder and stand still, waiting for the return ball, maybe sometimes running at his defender with the ball.

It's the off the ball movement that's the major difference, Gray just doesn't have Barnes' ability in that regard - as a result he's nowhere near as dynamic.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Beechey said:

All you have to do is watch the two players though. Barnes will pass, spin and run in behind off the ball and look for the return ball.

Gray will pass to a midfielder and stand still, waiting for the return ball, maybe sometimes running at his defender with the ball.

It's the off the ball movement that's the major difference, Gray just doesn't have Barnes' ability in that regard - as a result he's nowhere near as dynamic.

Surely that’s not a hard thing to coach though? Pass, spin, run into space looking for the return. You don’t need genius level IQ for that. Just do the fucher. 

Just now, ARM1968 said:

Surely that’s not a hard thing to coach though? Pass, spin, run into space looking for the return. You don’t need genius level IQ for that. Just do the fucher. 

You'd think it would be dead easy. I can't pretend to know since I'm not a professional footballer, but if he can't, or doesn't want to do that, then he's just not going to make it at this level.

He's had three years of Premier League coaching and game time, and if he can't do something Barnes seems to do naturally, then I don't know what level he's best suited to.

2 hours ago, Channy'sboots said:

Gone all angsty on his ig today

4B9F6743-D54C-445B-BDEB-2B464006B12B.jpeg

The past few years it's gone from hourglass emojis to bible verses to baby videos. We've now come full circle.

At least we aren't being accused of racism by certain posters any more simply for criticising Gray. (Yes it was over two years ago and I'm still annoyed about it)

Edited by brucey
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Beechey said:

You'd think it would be dead easy. I can't pretend to know since I'm not a professional footballer, but if he can't, or doesn't want to do that, then he's just not going to make it at this level.

He's had three years of Premier League coaching and game time, and if he can't do something Barnes seems to do naturally, then I don't know what level he's best suited to.

I can remember coaching our wingers to do just that in the Melton and Rutland league back in the 90’s. neither of them had a brain cell to rub together, but they managed to do that ok. One was pretty fast and direct, the other was slower but tricky. Didn’t take em long to understand the pass, spin, space mantra.  

We used to call it the P1SS move. Past it. Spin. Space. 

Edited by ARM1968

I personally think he was thrown in the deep end a little too early for him to fully mature his game in the Championship. He was obviously fantastic there for Birmingham, but he did come to us at a very young age. While he has shown glimpses of the quality he possesses, I think at this stage in his career, he would benefit massively from playing every week. Just like Barnes, some time to build confidence and skill on match-days could still see a route into the first team for him. 

3 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

I’m seemingly one of the few LCFC fans who rate Gray. He hasn’t fulfilled his potential admittedly, but I’d far rather see him play on the right that Ayoze Perez. I’d have him on the bench at least. We have really lacked width in the first two games and he’s a good option. 

13 goals and 2 assists vs 4 goals and 1 assist, end of discussion

3 hours ago, Dickov22 said:

No matter what weird stuff you are into, the internet will find you like minded folk.

I too like Gray. Or at least I suspect there's much more that can be coaxed out of him

One of our most frustrating players of recent years. Has the pace, skill and balance to worry any defence but lacks the brain cells to consistently channel his talent effectively to the benefit of the team.

I'd say he's had more bad games for us than good, which is no use to anyone.

You'd think he would have learnt by now, but I guess by dropping him from the match day squad Rodgers has pretty much lost patience with him.

Dimi not even being in the match day squad when we're desperate for a pacy direct winger, tells you all need to know about what Rodgers thinks of him. We need to sell pretty quickly as his stock is still high as a talented young English player. More years as a fringe player with us and he'll even lose that tag. 

Cant fault his effort and his ambition.But he has proved to be a top end Champonship player.Once he accepts this he can enjoy a great career at this level.I would expect us to get around 10 million £ for him in January.He may need a fresh challange and prove us all wrong after a step down.

Edited by cropstonfox

The issue is he’s one of the least creative wingers in the league. 

In his entire Premier League career he’s made 9 “big chances”. Albrighton made 6 alone last season and played 300+ minutes less than Gray. Barnes and Ghezzal both have 3 and they’ve not even played half of season’s worth of minutes.

Gray has averaged 0.7 key passes per game over his career

Albrighton 1.4 

Barnes 1.2

Ghezzal 0.9

Chilwell who “can’t cross” apparently was averaging 1.3 key passes a game last season and got 4 assists to Gray’s 1.

• Like 3