Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

50 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Well, you might help yourself by not saying things like (and I admit this is a paraphrase) 'anyone that disagrees with me on this is deluded', which although not exactly what you said, WAS the gist of it.

As for defending Perez, maybe people see something you don't. Or maybe they want to see the best in him. And, of course, maybe you're dead right - but there will always be disagreements. Maybe some don't agree with you that he 'clearly isn't good enough for a top Premiership team'.

Do you think he’s good enough for a top premiership team? I am genuinely interested, not being argumentative? 

My take is that if he moved on for us it would be to  West Brom/Fulham/Newcastle level side, whereas the players I mentioned in my post above were/are all clearly destined to play at the top level consistently (whether with us or elsewhere). I just find it surprising that one of our lesser players is fiercely defended whilst very good players are widely criticised. I always try to see the best in players with genuine potential and I struggle with others. I’m also someone who would rather watch a Slimani score twice and trip over the ball a bit than Perez be on the periphery of games but not make any mistakes.

I’m not looking for validation of my opinions by the way, I would love for Perez to succeed, I am just intrigued by how people see things so differently. 

24 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

Do you think he’s good enough for a top premiership team? I am genuinely interested, not being argumentative? 

My take is that if he moved on for us it would be to  West Brom/Fulham/Newcastle level side, whereas the players I mentioned in my post above were/are all clearly destined to play at the top level consistently (whether with us or elsewhere). I just find it surprising that one of our lesser players is fiercely defended whilst very good players are widely criticised. I always try to see the best in players with genuine potential and I struggle with others. I’m also someone who would rather watch a Slimani score twice and trip over the ball a bit than Perez be on the periphery of games but not make any mistakes.

I’m not looking for validation of my opinions by the way, I would love for Perez to succeed, I am just intrigued by how people see things so differently. 

Personally, I don't think my judgement is good enough to say, so I'll put my trust in the club management. Of course it's frustrating when Perez takes a bad option or gets knocked off the ball, however I saw him do plenty of decent stuff too. 

Like you, I'm often baffled by what people say and think here. I'm doing my best to learn just to let it go. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

Here's my take on Perez.

We are not the Leicester city we used to be. We're not a team who plays, or can play, the same 11 every week anymore. We need a squad. The trouble is that means we need players who are happy to be a squad player. We may not play the same 11 every week, but there are players you don't drop from your more important games. Finding players, in our current situation, who are happy to play 10 games a season is not easy for us. We don't have the pull of Man U,  we can't sign players just because they'd be happy to be a Leicester player.

Perez is a prime example of the type of player we need right now. He's happy to be a rotational player, he knows that he won't get selected ahead of Vardy, or Barnes or Maddison. He has to work hard to get into the team and has done that, in my opinion. Arguably, after seemingly being left out in the cold for a while,  we're seeing some of Perez's best performances in a Leicester shirt.

Perez has 2 problems. No one know his best position and he cost £30million.

Is he a £30million player? Definitely not.

Every striker we get within the next few years we constantly be compared to Vardy, unfairly so too. No one is going to be Jamie Vardy, this is the problem with Kelechi too. Perez brings others into the game. Playing at the No9 he will drop deep and bring others into the game. He creates extra space for others because he occupies the defensive midfielder.

It's not his fault he cost £30million, if he cost half of that then there's no way he gets half as much stick.

Your argument of whether or not he's good enough for a top premier league team is down to your opinion of where we're at as a team.

Is he good enough for a top premier league team? Maybe not, certainly not as a starter.

But is Albrighton? 

Is he good enough for a team looking to be a top premier league team? Most certainly. 

We're not yet regarded as a top premier league team, but we are looking to become one. To be that we need a squad, he's an important part of that squad and the latest in a long line of Leicester city scapegoats.

Perez and Nacho are not lone strikers , play them together while Vardy is out and it will be best for both of them. I realise this would change our formation 4-4-1-1 or something of that ilk but playing them both as lone strikers doesn’t work. 3-5-2? Could work but I don’t think 3 at the back would work for us.

• Like 1

Do I think we can and should do better than Perez? Yes

Do I think the criticism is sometimes over the top, hyperbole, almost pre-meditated? Also yes. 

Unfortunately for him even if he's having a good game overall, he will have periods or moments of sloppiness and that's what people remember. Whereas its the opposite for Under for example, where people want him to play more so they will only focus on the moments of good play rather than the times he lost the ball in his own half with some casual play. 

He's not a natural lone striker, and whilst he's playing that role he has to get in the box more. Iheanacho is better in the box, but was so shit at Palace and in some other performances that he is now next line for a go. I think he will start either against Leeds or Fulham and up to him to get back in Rodgers good books. 

Edited by RowlattsFox
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Here's my take on Perez.

We are not the Leicester city we used to be. We're not a team who plays, or can play, the same 11 every week anymore. We need a squad. The trouble is that means we need players who are happy to be a squad player. We may not play the same 11 every week, but there are players you don't drop from your more important games. Finding players, in our current situation, who are happy to play 10 games a season is not easy for us. We don't have the pull of Man U,  we can't sign players just because they'd be happy to be a Leicester player.

Perez is a prime example of the type of player we need right now. He's happy to be a rotational player, he knows that he won't get selected ahead of Vardy, or Barnes or Maddison. He has to work hard to get into the team and has done that, in my opinion. Arguably, after seemingly being left out in the cold for a while,  we're seeing some of Perez's best performances in a Leicester shirt.

Every striker we get within the next few years we constantly be compared to Vardy, unfairly so too. No one is going to be Jamie Vardy, this is the problem with Kelechi too. Perez brings others into the game. Playing at the No9 he will drop deep and bring others into the game. He creates extra space for others because he occupies the defensive midfielder.

It's not his fault he cost £30million, if he cost half of that then there's no way he gets half as much stick.

Your argument of whether or not he's good enough for a top premier league team is down to your opinion of where we're at as a team.

Is he good enough for a top premier league team? Maybe not, certainly not as a starter.

But is Albrighton? 

Is he good enough for a team looking to be a top premier league team? Most certainly. 

We're not yet regarded as a top premier league team, but we are looking to become one. To be that we need a squad, he's an important part of that squad and the latest in a long line of Leicester city scapegoats.

I do agreed that he’s a useful utility player. I think the term ‘scapegoat’ is misleading. It’s not making someone a scapegoat everytime you criticise them, especially when the criticism is measured and justified.

Albrighton is a funny one - you’d say he isn’t good enough for a top side, but he consistently makes himself undroppable. I actually think he has the attributes that people apply to Perez - he works hard, he gets involved, he links play. The difference for me is that he never stops trying to impact the game. Even when his crossing is off and he can’t beat his man he just relentlessly tries. Such a fantastic asset to our club.

I’ll have to park it with Perez - I really hope he proves me wrong and finds a way to really impact games. I’m still fascinated that posters leap to his defence in a way that they don’t for players that I think are clearly top quality!

1 minute ago, Kevin Russell said:

I do agreed that he’s a useful utility player. I think the term ‘scapegoat’ is misleading. It’s not making someone a scapegoat everytime you criticise them, especially when the criticism is measured and justified.

Albrighton is a funny one - you’d say he isn’t good enough for a top side, but he consistently makes himself undroppable. I actually think he has the attributes that people apply to Perez - he works hard, he gets involved, he links play. The difference for me is that he never stops trying to impact the game. Even when his crossing is off and he can’t beat his man he just relentlessly tries. Such a fantastic asset to our club.

I’ll have to park it with Perez - I really hope he proves me wrong and finds a way to really impact games. I’m still fascinated that posters leap to his defence in a way that they don’t for players that I think are clearly top quality!

But you can't have it both ways. 

Albrighton is and never has been a player that would or should play for a top premier league club, as you say it.

Albrighton doesn't play for any of United, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. He would never even get considered by any of those teams. And if he ever left, he'd probably end up at a Newcastle, West Brom or Fulham.

This isn't a dig at Albrighton by the way, I love the guy, but I'm using your logic when you describe Perez.

The difference with Albrighton and Perez is one was free and came into a newly promoted side, one was £30million and came into an established premier league side. That's it.

You seem to be accusing Perez of not trying? Why? Because he doesn't play like Albrighton of Vardy? 

From what I can see, especially in recent weeks, Perez is constantly making himself available, looking for gaps, trying to drop into holes. Just because the ball doesn't make it to him doesn't mean he's not trying to affect it. 

17 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But you can't have it both ways. 

Albrighton is and never has been a player that would or should play for a top premier league club, as you say it.

Albrighton doesn't play for any of United, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal. He would never even get considered by any of those teams. And if he ever left, he'd probably end up at a Newcastle, West Brom or Fulham.

This isn't a dig at Albrighton by the way, I love the guy, but I'm using your logic when you describe Perez.

The difference with Albrighton and Perez is one was free and came into a newly promoted side, one was £30million and came into an established premier league side. That's it.

You seem to be accusing Perez of not trying? Why? Because he doesn't play like Albrighton of Vardy? 

From what I can see, especially in recent weeks, Perez is constantly making himself available, looking for gaps, trying to drop into holes. Just because the ball doesn't make it to him doesn't mean he's not trying to affect it.

The difference with Albrighton is that he has a clear position and he plays it very well. He’s a number 7 and I think he is sufficiently effective to warrant his place. Nothing to do with price tag.

Perez is not a 7, 11, 10 or 9 - he’s a utility player who can be used to plug gaps. I just find him frustrating as a 9 because he hovers on the periphery and doesn’t impact the game.  

A false 9 is supposed to be full of imagination and positivity - not just prodding the ball sideways or backwards. I am surprised when people describe his last 2 performances as good, because I thought he was below average.

Like I say I would love to see him show Maddison’s ability and drive to influence a game or Barnes’ positivity, but I don’t see it at the moment. I just see mediocrity, carelessness in possession and no goal threat.

I love to watch a good false 9. Perez does not seem to be that player.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, murphy said:

I agree with this.  Nacho can can come away with a goal or an assist despite having looked awful doing it.  I'm not sure how he fits into our slick passing machine but if he's playing there is always a chance he will score.

I don't consider myself a Perez apologist, hes generally been average as hell since he arrived. He has only played as the lone striker in the past two games though, dont recall him playing there last season. Both times he lookied little more than ok ish but he dropped deep and helping to bring our wide men into the game who are currently our biggest threat. Nacho has played lone striker far more often, he comes less deep and is the focal point that perez isnt but the problem is that hes just crap as a lone striker. He will more likely than not butcher the one or two decent chances he will get and doesnt have the pressing of perez or even really any more pace or goal threat. Far rather perez dropping deep, playing in our better goalscorers assuming we persist with our current formation. Ideally I'd have someone other than either of them but as that's not possible Perez everytime out of the two.

25 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

The difference with Albrighton is that he has a clear position and he plays it very well. He’s a number 7 and I think he is sufficiently effective to warrant his place. Nothing to do with price tag.

Perez is not a 7, 11, 10 or 9 - he’s a utility player who can be used to plug gaps. I just find him frustrating as a 9 because he hovers on the periphery and doesn’t impact the game.  

A false 9 is supposed to be full of imagination and positivity - not just prodding the ball sideways or backwards. I am surprised when people describe his last 2 performances as good, because I thought he was below average.

Like I say I would love to see him show Maddison’s ability and drive to influence a game or Barnes’ positivity, but I don’t see it at the moment. I just see mediocrity, carelessness in possession and no goal threat.

I love to watch a good false 9. Perez does not seem to be that player.

But now you're changing your narrative.

You said he wasn't a player that would be in a top premier league side. 

I've countered that argument with Albrighton.

You've agreed he's a utility player, yet now you're using that as your argument?

The trouble with Perez is his price tag and he came into an established side. He's not a false 9, he's not a lome striker, he is a guy who works well in a 2, but we don't play that system. But he still adapts his game and gives us something going forward. He looks to take players on, he uses quick feet to try and cause problems in and around the box, he drops deep creating space for those ahead of him.

Don't get wrong, he's not a starter in our strongest 11 and he's definitely not a £30million player. But he's a great squad player who we can rely on when we need him and does offer something slightly different to what we have up front. 

Perez isn't the greatest and he's not immune to criticism, but the criticism he does get is well over the top, because as I said earlier, Leicester city fans have to have a scape goats, he's the latest in a long line now Chilwell has departed. 

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

I just dont understand such forums...

Far too far  so much wasted drivel, in trying to bring another guy down..

Not One point worth discussing...arrogant irritant fans just going consistently over the top,...

Its the insistent pecking,  is just goes beyond me...Arguing whos got the best argument & point of view...

No Doubt , there are a 1000 Or so reasons,that Posters can say if I dont like it..then..!!!

But carrying on day in week out, attacking & demeaning One of the city-players......!!

In fairness to your comment, i have found myself doing that a number of times on here and have also become embroiled, and - by my own admission - instigated arguments over difference in opinion.

I am not sure why, because it is pathetic, perhaps its just passion in my opinion even if i am mostly wrong. 

I am certainly going to make a more conservative effort to remind myself that BR, who watches, analyses and trains with the players almost daily, and is paid a handsome sum of money due to being one of the games best, probably knows a bit more than me.

All in all, i am just trying to be honest and say that whilst i'll still post my opinions / views - I am going to be much more aware that others know a lot more than me about football and i'll be valuing their opinion a lot more than i have previously.

Edited by adejo92
  • Like 1

Guest Hansifüx

The trouble with Perez is the team has improved and he is (at least at the moment) not as good as the rest. The team has surpassed him for now. Albrighton  has a very good series at the moment, if he had played like that always he would have played for a top team. His performance may drop and he wasn' as good against Everton than before. In my opinion Perez is Maddison's sub in the team, which is fine. But using both of them isn't working, the team gets physically too weak. 

1 hour ago, Happy Fox said:

Perez and Nacho are not lone strikers , play them together while Vardy is out and it will be best for both of them. I realise this would change our formation 4-4-1-1 or something of that ilk but playing them both as lone strikers doesn’t work. 3-5-2? Could work but I don’t think 3 at the back would work for us.

Problem is with that is that you're then left with one of Perez or Maddison playing out wide, which doesn't suit either and especially the latter. 

Granted it was against average to poor opposition, but the link up play between Perez and Barnes/Praet/Albrighton etc against Stoke is better than anything Iheanacho has done for a while, unfortunately. I would also argue that Perez's inclusion against Sheffield United was a catalyst for turning around our season after a mini blip against Liverpool, Zorya, and Fulham. 

Over the course of the season, and given the same amount of game time, I would back Iheanacho to get more goals than Perez 9/10, but I'd back the rest of the team to play better and ultimately score more with Perez. Ultimately it's hopefully only going to a 2/3 more games anyway. 

Look we are never going to be able to replace Vardy. The world of football doesn't have another Vardy so lets not go there. What we do need, must have and is out there is a striker who is hungry, has an eye for goal given the chance and is driven to succeed. I don't believe Perez & Nachos is that guy. We've experimented for a while now. We've had some high moments with both but nothing substantial or consistent. We now have a team that is defending, creating and dominating. We must complete that dynamic with another striker that is effective when he comes on and will get goals. He won't need to be like Vardy and if he's good he will carry his own style, level of threat against the opposition. I just don't want this season to fizzle out because we didn't have someone who could score goals from all the chances we create that would be a damn shame. Is Odourde the answer I don't know but it's worth finding out than go a whole season wondering what if.

Maybe our savvy city board have a plan A and a plan B in place. Guess we will know by the end of this transfer season how it's going to play out. In the meantime rest up Jamie we need you back fit as a fiddle ready to explode!

25 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

But now you're changing your narrative.

You said he wasn't a player that would be in a top premier league side. 

I've countered that argument with Albrighton.

You've agreed he's a utility player, yet now you're using that as your argument?

The trouble with Perez is his price tag and he came into an established side. He's not a false 9, he's not a lome striker, he is a guy who works well in a 2, but we don't play that system. But he still adapts his game and gives us something going forward. He looks to take players on, he uses quick feet to try and cause problems in and around the box, he drops deep creating space for those ahead of him.

Don't get wrong, he's not a starter in our strongest 11 and he's definitely not a £30million player. But he's a great squad player who we can rely on when we need him and does offer something slightly different to what we have up front. 

Perez isn't the greatest and he's not immune to criticism, but the criticism he does get is well over the top, because as I said earlier, Leicester city fans have to have a scape goats, he's the latest in a long line now Chilwell has departed. 

My argument around the top sides was that I was surprised that posters leapt to his defence much more readily than they did for other players I mentioned who are more obviously top class premiership players. 

I don’t really see Perez making things happen and trying to take people on as you describe. I haven’t really seen that since he’s been with us if I’m honest - certainly not on a consistent basis. Perhaps he can become the player you describe, and he looked good for a spell in a poor Newcastle side. However, he had been given much more playing time than some and  he is not doing anywhere near enough at the moment. I don’t think I’m scapegoating I’m commenting on a player who I get frustrated with and I find it odd that others attribute qualities to him that I don’t see. 

I do want to park this now, I have made my points and if you think I’m making him a scapegoat I respect your opinion. I disagree I am just saying what I see and if Perez puts together any consistent form I will be the first one on here to admit I was wrong!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

My argument around the top sides was that I was surprised that posters leapt to his defence much more readily than they did for other players I mentioned who are more obviously top class premiership players. 

I don’t really see Perez making things happen and trying to take people on as you describe. I haven’t really seen that since he’s been with us if I’m honest - certainly not on a consistent basis. Perhaps he can become the player you describe, and he looked good for a spell in a poor Newcastle side. However, he had been given much more playing time than some and  he is not doing anywhere near enough at the moment. I don’t think I’m scapegoating I’m commenting on a player who I get frustrated with and I find it odd that others attribute qualities to him that I don’t see. 

I do want to park this now, I have made my points and if you think I’m making him a scapegoat I respect your opinion. I disagree I am just saying what I see and if Perez puts together any consistent form I will be the first one on here to admit I was wrong!

I think that's entirely reasonable. You're not deluded, and neither are most of us either :) 

17 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

Ha ha - perhaps deluded was the wrong word. Hopefully I have to eat some pie after the weekend and he scores a screamer as we thump Leeds!

Let's hope so. It's all about opinions, it doesn't matter if we perceive things differently.

5 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Do I think we can and should do better than Perez? Yes

Do I think the criticism is sometimes over the top, hyperbole, almost pre-meditated? Also yes. 

Unfortunately for him even if he's having a good game overall, he will have periods or moments of sloppiness and that's what people remember. Whereas its the opposite for Under for example, where people want him to play more so they will only focus on the moments of good play rather than the times he lost the ball in his own half with some casual play. 

He's not a natural lone striker, and whilst he's playing that role he has to get in the box more. Iheanacho is better in the box, but was so shit at Palace and in some other performances that he is now next line for a go. I think he will start either against Leeds or Fulham and up to him to get back in Rodgers good books. 

You make a good point that many of us might be quicker to forgive a mistake by Under rather than Perez but that is because his better moments are much better than Perez'.  He has pace and a box of tricks that Perez simply doesn't possess.  That early run against Brentford when he burst into the box is a great example. Despite being no taller than your average hobbit he held off the Brentford defender in a manner that I would love to see from Perez.  I would ask where are the Perez highlights?

On a broader note, the discussion around Albrighton, especially that there is no difference between him and Perez, seems odd to me.  I think at the start of the season most of us would not have expected Kevin to be troubling the first team on a regular basis.  He is undergoing something of a renaissance of late, being picked out for particular praise on motd making decisive contributions that again I don't see from Perez.

From my point of view there are one of two things happening.  Either Perez is the virtual passenger that frustrates me every week or his contribution is so subtle that I don't have the footballing intelligence to appreciate it which also frustrates me.  One seems as likely as the other to me.

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jimbo said:

But is Albrighton? 

I disagree with that.

Isn't saying that no one knows his best position a euphemistic way of admitting that he can't play in his regular position?  I don't buy this idea that we would unlock the real Perez by finding his true role.  A premise that we are unlikely to be able to test and where is the evidence for it?  A handful of cameos where he played behind Vardy and been a little  less ineffective?

Secondly, the price tag.  If you are attributing the criticism of Perez to his fee then you haven't read the criticism that the likes of Gray or Chilwell have attracted.  One cost buttons, the other cost nowt.  The price tag is irrelevant.

Edited by murphy

On 28/01/2021 at 15:03, Happy Fox said:

Sorry, you want to change our formation to a formation ,unspecified , to accomodate Perez and Iheanacho together ????? Hopefully our formation will continue to change minimally to reflect our changing opponents, injuries and other non-availabilities. Never to do what's best to accomodate arguably two liabilities.  So we play Perez and Iheanacho as  replacements for Vardy and ANO (two for two as -per the rules- eleven a side)..We don't have anyone who plays anywhere as near as badly as ANO to make this balance.We probably have contenders for the role. The tea lady and probably some of the cleaners.

I'm sure your post was well meant but trying to do what's best for Perez and Iheanacho is totally irrelevant to the aims of I hope most of us, which is success and prosperity for LCFC, hopefully while  continuing to play attractive football.

There are 72 pages on this thread more than practically any other player. Is he really that good ,do you think ? Or is it something else. ?

ThreeTwo.

15 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Sorry, you want to change our formation to a formation ,unspecified , to accomodate Perez and Iheanacho together ????? Hopefully our formation will continue to change minimally to reflect our changing opponents, injuries and other non-availabilities. Never to do what's best to accomodate arguably two liabilities.  So we play Perez and Iheanacho as  replacements for Vardy and ANO (two for two as -per the rules- eleven a side)..We don't have anyone who plays anywhere as near as badly as ANO to make this balance.We probably have contenders for the role. The tea lady and probably some of the cleaners.

I'm sure your post was well meant but trying to do what's best for Perez and Iheanacho is totally irrelevant to the aims of I hope most of us, which is success and prosperity for LCFC, hopefully while  continuing to play attractive football.

There are 72 pages on this thread more than practically any other player. Is he really that good ,do you think ? Or is it something else. ?

ThreeTwo.

Absolutely. It's bad enough trying to accommodate one non contributory liability in the team but, to put two in as an experiment to see if between them, they can perhaps make the contribution of one decent player seems crass and a recipe for disaster. If we were to take it that one would be replacing Vardy, who is the other good performing player we'd sacrifice for this whim of an experiment?