Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

26 minutes ago, sdb said:

I think a lot of people have forgotten how to judge any striker that isn't lighting fast and plays on the shoulder. The team will need to adjust whilst Vardy is out and some fans might need to adapt to a different type of football too! Perez is a downgrade but still very useful.

That’s the point I was making to my mrs. We are sooooo used to having Vardy that anyone else up front just looks lazy. I though Perez worked hard and you could see him tracking back and put the work in defensively. But he’s never ever going to play off the shoulder and break the channels. Not his style. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Kevin Russell said:

I don’t see it with Perez. He doesn’t score, create or even really link up play. Does sometimes move into positions to receive the ball, but does very little with it. He has no pace, strength skill or vision - am I missing something??

Perez must have more than I see in him. I would n't want to be too hard on him maybe he has some problem although BR has a reputation for consideration when a player has problems. Maybe he looks happy when he does something praise worthy but how can I judge that ? I hate anyone to be unhappy and If I had a player like Perez I would want to know what his problem was. Today ( Brentford) what I could n't understand is why Perez and Iheanacho made no effort to up their reputations. OK no one can guarantee their A game on any one day but they knew we would miss Vardy's pressing. Neither made any attempt to press Brentford's defenders in any way that inconvenienced any defender . When the goalkeeper has it Perez jogs sideways towards the nearest defender. The goalie is n't pressed,and obviously  does n't pass to the defender who Perez is leisurely approaching..Net result no one is pressed. Once the defenders have bypassed either of them that's them finished. Well Perez in particular Is not fooling me and i would bet neither he nor Iheanacho are in the squad at the start of next season.if an exit can be arranged.  Neither are good enough to go where I hope we are going and they compound that fault with lack of graft.

Edited by Alan Frost

I understand all the negative comments on Perez.  He isn't Vardy, he is slow and his scoring record isn't great here.  However I think he drifts into clever pockets of space, links up play well and allows room for others to run on.  He has got good feet and is getting stronger, I firmly believe with a run of games as a false nine we will see good results and he'll pick up the odd goal or two.  Definitely worth persevering with. 

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, Guppy Assist said:

I understand all the negative comments on Perez.  He isn't Vardy, he is slow and his scoring record isn't great here.  However I think he drifts into clever pockets of space, links up play well and allows room for others to run on.  He has got good feet and is getting stronger, I firmly believe with a run of games as a false nine we will see good results and he'll pick up the odd goal or two.  Definitely worth persevering with. 

I agree, you can’t judge the guy just yet, let him play a few games in this deeper attacking role and see how it works. I personally like the role and think he can do a good job there. He played ok and I’m sure he’ll improve given a run of games.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Alan Frost said:

Perez must have more than I see in him. I would n't want to be too hard on him maybe he has some problem although BR has a reputation for consideration when a player has problems. Maybe he looks happy when he does something praise worthy but how can I judge that ? I hate anyone to be unhappy and If I had a player like Perez I would want to know what his problem was. Today ( Brentford) what I could n't understand is why Perez and Iheanacho made no effort to up their reputations. OK no one can guarantee their A game on any one day but they knew we would miss Vardy's pressing. Neither made any attempt to press Brentford's defenders in any way that inconvenienced any defender . When the goalkeeper has it Perez jogs sideways towards the nearest defender. The goalie is n't pressed,and obviously  does n't pass to the defender who Perez is leisurely approaching..Net result no one is pressed. Once the defenders have bypassed either of them that's them finished. Well Perez in particular Is not fooling me and i would bet neither he nor Iheanacho are in the squad at the start of next season.if an exit can be arranged.  Neither are good enough to go where I hope we are going and they compound that fault with lack of graft.

The bit about not pressing enough/not making enough tackles is just straight up untrue. I can't find stats specifically for the Brentford game, but so far this season Perez has made nearly five times more pressures per 90 and nearly six times more tackles per 90 than Vardy.

• Like 3

In the Ayoze as the metronomic pivot whilst Vardy is injured, but it was really strange yesterday as when Kelechi came on I was quite excited as he was charging about, which is always encouraging.

However, although Ayoze operates in a more subtle/seamless manner, it just felt we were more likely to string intricate moves together with Ayoze, rather than kel  :dunno:

Maybe its an unconcious bias I have for Ayoze (I like Kelechi, its just he feels far less team focused, despite his obvious skills) so, cannot rule that out

1 hour ago, blaaklint said:

The bit about not pressing enough/not making enough tackles is just straight up untrue. I can't find stats specifically for the Brentford game, but so far this season Perez has made nearly five times more pressures per 90 and nearly six times more tackles per 90 than Vardy.

I'm not referring to tackles or pressing when he comes deeper , out of position, to try and win the ball. I'm talking about pressing and tackling when he's in the position of either front man or one of two or even 3 front men. His tackles  and presses when deeper are admittedly very useful but usually unproductive as most would almost certainly be made eventually by our excellent and improving midfield and defence. That still does n't mean they are not useful but Perez would be more useful himself fulfilling his allocated role as a front man or linkman which presumably is what he's supposed to be doing. Front pressing is a far more thankless task as usually the presser is facing a goal keeper and two or more defenders all of whom are usually unmarked, especially the goalie. 

Vardy does this by continually adjusting his position, narrowing angles and preventing passes. Often this does n't result in a Vardy tackle which only happens ideally when he spots his speed could result in him arriving very soon after the ball reaches the defender , or even sometimes the goalkeeper. Its a thankless task especially if no one else helps. It's really at least a two man job but Vardy often persists on his own even towards the end of the match. He is IMO very skilled at it and conserves energy very skilfully so that if and when he does win the ball he can still usually accelerate away or get a shot in. I think also its likely his stats  . in the area of the stats you quoted , have been affected by his recent mobility problems.

I appreciate your stat. which I was unaware of and surprises me but it would  indicate Perez is a more useful and effective player than Vardy which I don't think many would agree with. Reminds me of the old saying , you can prove anything with statistics. Perez's tendency to come deeper has been very much evident and much criticised and not just within the club and forum as it prevents or hinders the total strategy of the team. It harms him as it lowers his scoring statistics and thereby the teams scoring statistics. I suppose it means he's not a good fit for the team as a forward which I would agree with.

Edited by Alan Frost

Perez has played twice as a false 9 against two pretty poor championship sides and his overall contribution has been extremely disappointing. He did score against Stoke, but it was a very straight forward opportunity. Prior to that he’d produced virtually nothing despite us being in complete control.

People saying that he played well are being seriously charitable. To play that position well requires a player to be decisive and energetic as well as intelligent. He just seems to trot through games without showing any real desire to impact the play. Given his lack of strength and pace he needs to compensate with attitude and endeavour. His contribution at the moment is at best modest and at worst irrelevant.

Perhaps his qualities will show when we are engaged in more cut and thrust premiership games, but my fear is that he could be more peripheral and struggle to even get on the ball. I think he has certain attributes that could see him be effective, his ability to find space is definitely good. He just needs to do much more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, blaaklint said:

his pressure was directly responsible for the goal that pretty much guaranteed the win

• Like 1

I thought he looked seriously upset when he was subbed yesterday muttering to himself as he was going off.

He doesn’t ever appear cocky so I interpreted it as he realised he had not shone as I am sure he would have hoped given the opportunity.

I think we forget the inevitable self-pressure people put upon themselves when going about their work.  When you read this think of how you perform when your confidence is sapped.

He needs a lucky break and I, for one, hope he gets it.  Everton please.

• Like 3

On 25/01/2021 at 19:33, zorro en españa said:

I thought he looked seriously upset when he was subbed yesterday muttering to himself as he was going off.

He doesn’t ever appear cocky so I interpreted it as he realised he had not shone as I am sure he would have hoped given the opportunity.

I think we forget the inevitable self-pressure people put upon themselves when going about their work.  When you read this think of how you perform when your confidence is sapped.

He needs a lucky break and I, for one, hope he gets it.  Everton please.

To me he always looks like that, altho not always muttering. I don't dislike him and certainly don't hate him, but in a way something worse, I feel sorry for him, either because he's trying to do a good job in a team he just does n't fit in, or because he has a problem outside football. I think he came to England with his brother .Maybe he's homesick because maybe his brother's gone back. I'm only guessing, but trying to do a good job and failing when a club has shelled out a small fortune for you is something even an unscrupulous bastard like me would not like, (I'd keep taking the money though). BR has a good reputation for giving as much help as he can with his players problems (which imo is very sensible). If it is something else he must know Brendan speaks Spanish, I don't know how fluently and anyway  Perez's English should be good now even though he was in Newcastle.

I don't want this to sound like a lonely hearts column but in the words of one of my favourite songs, "Son. I made a living out of watching peoples's faces" and believe me he's quite unhappy. Even on the photo on the first team profiles although he has a slight smile, he to me still looks unhappy about something. We tend to look on footballer's lives with envy (unless they've had a spell at Newcastle) but being talented at football with all that potential money means you are going play and in his case it meant leaving the Canaries,young, leaving family and friends, and not everyone is cut out for that.

I'm hope i'm wrong but if i was a manager I would n't be playing a player who's not enjoying what he should be loving. He's not a kid, but men are notorious for fighting problems until they get old and smart enough to realise thats not always the best thing.

• Like 1

Fascinated to see what people say about him tonight.

I thought he played well bar a few weak or indecisive moments. Linked play well, dropped into good spaces and showed some lovely touches.

If you see strikers as purely goal getters then it's a very skewed and limited way of seeing the game. 

• Like 2

Just now, StriderHiryu said:

Is going to be the obvious scapegoat tonight and I can see why that would be the case.

He was playing as a false 9, so was there to link play so Barnes, Maddison, Under when he came on could get into the space he left behind to threaten and all 3 did this. BUT in saying that, when Perez has the ball and is facing the goal, he lacks conviction and does not look like scoring. A few times he lost it easily too.

I think fans will be very harsh on him tonight. I don't think he was awful but a definite 6/10 if ever I've seen one. You do want more from a player playing in that position.

Good post.

But I hate all this modern 'false 9' crap.

Why can't he just lead the line and play on the shoulder of the last defender like a 'proper' number 9?

• Like 2