Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

10 minutes ago, Gubbins said:

I think Nachos utterly incompetent performance against a crap Palace side cost us 2 points and shows that he is not a goal threat in the slightest. With perez against both Brentford and Everton we created chances and Everton employed the lowest and blockiest of low blocks. Hes far from perfect but a waaay better alternative than nacho in our system.

I agree he did cost us against Palace but he was still a more of a threat than Perez.

Nacho and Barnes link up well also from what I can remember having those two interchanging would be ideal

1 hour ago, Blue ROI said:

Perez wasn't outstanding but Everton were so defensive that even Vardy would have struggled out there last night.

Completely agree, they played 4 centre backs and two cdms, and dropped so deep. There was no room for anyone to do anything, I still think it’s a miracle youri got his shot off when he was surrounded by so many players. 

Vardy may have occupied the defenders more and created a little more space, but even then we’re clutching at straws. Genuinely the most defensive performance I’ve ever seen from a team.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kingfox said:

lollollol 

It’s astonishing that some fans still don’t understand Perez’s game. I’ll keep on making the Okazaki comparison because that’s exactly the type of player he is, he is the type of player you play behind your number 9, he’ll drop deep and link the play with players around him, that’s exactly what he did tonight. 

There’s no point slating him tonight, when he’s not playing his natural role, sticking him up front on his own was never going to be ideal. Our only other option is Iheanacho, the way he’s played lately, to say he is a better option than Perez is baffling.

When Perez plays centrally, that’s when his best performances come, he is a second striker, not a centre forward, therefore I won’t criticise him tonight.

How do you know?

I mean exactly how many times has he played centrally for us?  Three?  Four times?  It is easy to claim he would be so much better if only we played him in x position because you will never have to prove it.

It's time we stopped making excuses for him and stopped trying to find the position he is least crap in.  He is simply not good enough.

• Like 1

Just now, murphy said:

How do you know?

I mean exactly how many times has he played centrally for us?  Three?  Four times?  It is easy to claim he would be so much better if only we played him in x position because you will never have to prove it.

It's time we stopped making excuses for him and stopped trying to find the position he is least crap in.  He is simply not good enough.

1) When he’s played that position, he’s offered exactly what Shinji did

2) His best performances have come when playing that position

So carry on hating all you like mate.

Do I think he’s great? No I don’t.

Do I think he’s a better player than some of our fans give him credit for? Yes.

To slag a player off who’s playing out of position is just petty.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, kingfox said:

1) When he’s played that position, he’s offered exactly what Shinji did

2) His best performances have come when playing that position

So carry on hating all you like mate.

Do I think he’s great? No I don’t.

Do I think he’s a better player than some of our fans give him credit for? Yes.

To slag a player off who’s playing out of position is just petty.

I am not slagging him off for playing out of position and if you think I am then you didn't read it properly.  I am merely contesting this view that Perez is only ineffective because he isn't played in his natural position.  

He's just not very good wherever you put him.

As for the Shinji comparison, well yes, he fell over a lot too, but he was much more effective and in actual fact, Shinji was a no.9 played out of position as a number 10 during his time here.  Something that Shinji was unhappy about and has spoken about publicly.

Edited by murphy

Everton’s set up was trying not suffocate Leicester and it mostly worked. 

I absolutely guarantee Vardy would’ve been ineffective. Perez kept coming deep to receive the ball whereas Vardy would’ve played on the shoulder, but with Everton being so rigid, Vardy would’ve had zero impact.

I thought Perez did OK last night, held up the ball well, linked up play, won a few free kicks and was always an option for the midfield.  Yes he drops a little too deep to be a lone striker and he's sloooooww at times but against Everton's deep back line I think any striker (Vardy!) would of struggled to create or take chances.

Could we improve on a Vardy back up?  Probably. 

Also think with Perez playing we ideally need Barnes and Under on to offer the threat in behind.

1 hour ago, Gubbins said:

I think Nachos utterly incompetent performance against a crap Palace side cost us 2 points and shows that he is not a goal threat in the slightest. With perez against both Brentford and Everton we created chances and Everton employed the lowest and blockiest of low blocks. Hes far from perfect but a waaay better alternative than nacho in our system.

Nonsense. He’s clumsy and can be frustrating, but he carries some sort of threat. Perez did absolutely nothing. He gives away the ball runs into trouble and never creates anything. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kevin Russell said:

Nonsense. He’s clumsy and can be frustrating, but he carries some sort of threat. Perez did absolutely nothing. He gives away the ball runs into trouble and never creates anything. 

I agree with this.  Nacho can can come away with a goal or an assist despite having looked awful doing it.  I'm not sure how he fits into our slick passing machine but if he's playing there is always a chance he will score.

I thought he was good last night. 

Nothing incredible of course but I think he offered a lot in attack that we don't normally get with Vardy. We were able to maintain a much better press than we normally do. He was able to link the attack better and gave Maddison more room to work in. Obviously there were occasions where we missed Vardy's pace but you wouldn't get that with Iheanacho either.

My only worry with him really is he always looks knackered after about 50 minutes.

19 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I thought he was good last night. 

Nothing incredible of course but I think he offered a lot in attack that we don't normally get with Vardy. We were able to maintain a much better press than we normally do. He was able to link the attack better and gave Maddison more room to work in. Obviously there were occasions where we missed Vardy's pace but you wouldn't get that with Iheanacho either.

My only worry with him really is he always looks knackered after about 50 minutes.

Same.

Thought he performed his job pretty admirably last night. Nothing amazing, but we could easily have won 5-1 last night and no one would have battered an eyelid.

Don't get people jumping on him. Castagne and Fofana had much worse games but no one really criticises their performances as much for example.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kevin Russell said:

Precisely, Perez has a team of apologists. I can fully understand that some people want to try and stick up for our players, in fact its very admirable but, it's gone on for such a long time now.

Whenever he has an ineffective game (I can think of only 2 he hasn’t), it always seems to be said that it's because he's being played out of position? Seemingly there appears to be only one narrow position now that he could possibly play then, number 10 ish behind Vardy (though he did supposedly score the majority of his goals in his last, one half decent season at Newcastle whilst playing out on the right). If that's the case though, then unfortunately there's better players for that position before him in the shape of Maddison, Praet, Barnes, Tielemans or even Under that would have more overall potential effect prior to having to play him and I've deliberately left Iheanacho out because that's a debatable point.

For him to contribute effectively, it would appear to require him to stand on exactly the precise spot, at the right time with the wind behind him with the moon and stars in the right position but only against a certain type of opposition.  To consistently play  with 10 men and one such largely non-contributing player is unsustainable for a team vying for 4th place. Even if we were to argue that needs must at the moment due to injury, then a replacement has to be found in the summer and that he's allowed to further his career elsewhere and I'd suggest that just isn't possible in the Premiership. One half decent season in four for Newcastle would seem to corroborate that also, he's now fully exposed and I'd doubt anyone would want to buy him for their Premiership team therefore. He could be more successful I'd suggest in Spain or Italy perhaps. 

With reference to Iheanacho though, whatever people's thoughts, and I accept he's devisive and it's possibly like trying to pick the lesser of two evils, the goal stats are quite interesting. If we refer to the Premiership, Cup competitions and Europa League 2019/20, 2020/21 we find that:

Perez - P55 Goals 13

Nacho - P41 Goals 15

However, appearances are very deceptive. I wonder how many minutes Perez actually had on the pitch in those appearances compared with Iheanacho who only usually gets ten or fifteen minute cameos? Rodgers really persisted with Perez in his first season let's be honest. Whether that's due to being the managers transfer choice and price tag who knows. Even so, whilst Iheanacho's first touch isn't as good and he's not as easy on the eye, he is more physical and more likely to get you a goal. Goals change games. Perez can invariably pulls off a wonderful bit of skill in a game and the rest of his actual performance then suddenly gets forgiven. Iheanacho can look languid and clumsy but overall is more likely I'd suggest, given the chance and minutes, get you a goal. I wouldn't necessarily hold my breath with either of them though.

Edited by volpeazzurro
  • Like 1

I really don’t understand FT, I’ve had running arguments before defending players like Maddison, Ndidi, Chilwell, Barnes, Mahrez - all players who clearly have serious ability and who are sought after by the biggest clubs in world football.

Never have I seen people falling over themselves to defend the above players like they do Perez.

Is it that he doesn’t make that many huge mistakes? Is it that he works hard? I am at a loss to explain why such favourable treatment is saved for a player who clearly isn’t good enough for a top premiership team.

5 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

Perez wasn't outstanding but Everton were so defensive that even Vardy would have struggled out there last night.

Yeah you could argue that Perez's all round game was just as good as Vardy's, especially his pressing. 

Vardy actually has a knack of doing naff all for the majority of the game and then taking his one chance, that what's makes him so special.

6 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Do not imagine his primary task is to score goals in this system, but to provide goal scoring opportunities for others like Maddison, Harvey or Under

A striker that's not primarily tasked to score goals. Something alarmingly wrong about that.

21 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

I really don’t understand FT, I’ve had running arguments before defending players like Maddison, Ndidi, Chilwell, Barnes, Mahrez - all players who clearly have serious ability and who are sought after by the biggest clubs in world football.

Never have I seen people falling over themselves to defend the above players like they do Perez.

Is it that he doesn’t make that many huge mistakes? Is it that he works hard? I am at a loss to explain why such favourable treatment is saved for a player who clearly isn’t good enough for a top premiership team.

Well, you might help yourself by not saying things like (and I admit this is a paraphrase) 'anyone that disagrees with me on this is deluded', which although not exactly what you said, WAS the gist of it.

As for defending Perez, maybe people see something you don't. Or maybe they want to see the best in him. And, of course, maybe you're dead right - but there will always be disagreements. Maybe some don't agree with you that he 'clearly isn't good enough for a top Premiership team'.

Guest Hansifüx

He has his moments but more often than not I am disappointed. He needs the ball more often at his feet but struggles to get into positions or get away from defenders easily without having to somehow push the ball through them ... 

Same things weigh Ayoze down, just as they do for Kelechi. They aren't Vardy and the style of play has been all about Vardy for a long time.

Maybe we will see them together for a period, maybe they will improve with more game time, just don`t think its something we want to or can afford to do  :dunno:

Basically those two are ******

People say Vardy would have struggled against Everton's system last night, and they're correct, but Vardy has qualities as a goal grabber in the box which might have allowed him to capitalise on our pressure - anticipation, movement, sharpness, physicality, aggressiveness, ruthlessness, and absolute desire to score.  I see none of those in Perez.  Although his main purpose is in bringing other players into the game, Perez should also be expected to contribute with a fair number of goals, but I see no sign of that being among his capabilities.

• Like 1

I just dont understand such forums...

Far too far  so much wasted drivel, in trying to bring another guy down..

Not One point worth discussing...arrogant irritant fans just going consistently over the top,...

Its the insistent pecking,  is just goes beyond me...Arguing whos got the best argument & point of view...

No Doubt , there are a 1000 Or so reasons,that Posters can say if I dont like it..then..!!!

But carrying on day in week out, attacking & demeaning One of the city-players......!!

Edited by fuchsntf

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

I just dont understand such forums...

Far to far  so much wasted drivel, in trying to bring another guy down..

Not One point worth discussing...arrogant irritant fans just going consistently over the top,...

Its the insistent pecking,  is just goes beyond me...Arguing whos got the best argument & point of view...

No Doubt , there are a 1000 Or so reasons,that Posters can say if I dont like it..then..!!!

But carrying on day in week out, attacking & demeaning One of the city-players......!!

Far to far  so

Ahhh the sound of music