Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

1 minute ago, sdb said:

Fascinated to see what people say about him tonight.

I thought he played well bar a few weak or indecisive moments. Linked play well, dropped into good spaces and showed some lovely touches.

If you see strikers as purely goal getters then it's a very skewed and limited way of seeing the game. 

Agreed. He did have a couple of week efforts but movement was good and link play was good as you say. Thought he was okay tonight. 6/10 for me.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Good post.

But I hate all this modern 'false 9' crap.

Why can't he just lead the line and play on the shoulder of the last defender like a 'proper' number 9?

He doesn't have the pace or strength to do that. He'd just be completely bullied out of the game.

Linkup play aside he just has to do better at making space for himself. James justin made a really nice run across the defender onto a cross from the right, what's stopping perez, who's an attacking player by nature, from doing stuff like that. He's not vardy but when our left back is making better runs in the box you have to worry.

maybe its too much to ask these days for a striker to have a least a few shots on target a game let alone score ?? yea he might be a bit creative but he is a number 9 and should be playing off last man. 

When clubs sign strikers, what stats do they look at? 

Perez is bloody awful. Some people say it's because the midfield or wingers aren't getting close enough but the reality is that his positioning is crap and the opposition take the ball from him far too easy. Plus the ref's get fed up when hes diving. 

I'd play kelechi for the next game and Under.

1 minute ago, Old Fox said:

Maddison was easily our worst player tonight - set pieces, passing, work rate so granted Ayoze was average but he is never a number 9 and he will be the scapegoat tonight 

I asked this in post match topic what is his position??

1 minute ago, Old Fox said:

Maddison was easily our worst player tonight - set pieces, passing, work rate so granted Ayoze was average but he is never a number 9 and he will be the scapegoat tonight 

What you talking about Willis? 

Granted his set pieces were not great tonight but I thought he had a good game apart from that aspect.

10 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Good post.

But I hate all this modern 'false 9' crap.

Why can't he just lead the line and play on the shoulder of the last defender like a 'proper' number 9?

That's a great question because there's nothing about him to suggest he can't play that way. To be fair, it's because his natural game is as a second striker, and some players are just geared that way. E.g. you COULD play Dennis Bergkamp or Eric Cantona as the lone striker up front, but both were much better as the one behind someone else. Modern football makes it hard to play 2 strikers though, the man you lose in midfield can really hurt you on the transition. But if you are going to play as a false 9, then you have to be *really* good at that, e.g. your movement and link up play has to be first class. Perez was OK, but he wasn't playing people through on goal 1 v 1 as an example, or playing the "bounce pass" to enable that as the next action.

To answer your question, I think Rodgers has tried both Perez and Nacho as true 9's in games and in training and it doesn't work. Perez as the false 9 he probably feels can work, and there are some hints that it could. If we really wanted to play that way, it's something that over time in training could be made to work. Remember playing that way isn't just about him, but the players around him too. But today I felt that the players around him, specifically Barnes and Maddison did very well, Albrighton not so much but it seemed like he wasn't asked to attack the box as much. Under I thought did well when coming on to add to the attacking threat.

Regardless, now that Slimani has left, you can bet your house on another striker coming into the club in the summer.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 4