Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

9 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Nah I'm not having. I've tried to be open minded and see what other people are seeing but hes just an average player that gets OTT praise for doing basic things.

He rarely creates chances or pulls out a bit of magic. He shouldn't be anywhere near a team with top 4 aspirations. 

He's a solid player and would look good in a team with less talented players, but hes painfully limited and it really shows when hes surrounded by players like Barnes, Maddison and Tielemans.

Really well put. Very average and shouldn’t be anywhere near the starting 11.

15 minutes ago, Kevin Russell said:

People saying he played well tonight are deluded. Yes - he works hard and he does take up some cleverish positions. But he is so wasteful in possession and he never does anything to break the lines or create chances. We have to stop saying he’s played well when he hasn’t. It’s just ridiculous.

I can confirm I am not deluded.

I thought Perez did fine tonight. Against teams that are as well organised as Everton, without Vardy we have to sacrifice Albrighton imo. Albrighton is in fine form right now and adds a good balance to the team, but both Perez and Iheanacho come deeper as a #9 to play to their strengths which means we need to get runners beyond them more often. Barnes does this very well, but I think Under is an obvious choice for this on the right. He's pacey, skillful and a bit of a wildcard in terms of his offensive threat, and his defensive work rate is decent too. We played some slick stuff when this change happened.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, kingfox said:

lollollol 

It’s astonishing that some fans still don’t understand Perez’s game. I’ll keep on making the Okazaki comparison because that’s exactly the type of player he is, he is the type of player you play behind your number 9, he’ll drop deep and link the play with players around him, that’s exactly what he did tonight. 

There’s no point slating him tonight, when he’s not playing his natural role, sticking him up front on his own was never going to be ideal. Our only other option is Iheanacho, the way he’s played lately, to say he is a better option than Perez is baffling.

When Perez plays centrally, that’s when his best performances come, he is a second striker, not a centre forward, therefore I won’t criticise him tonight.

Please don't compare him to Shinjj. Shinjj never stopped running so made space for others and it was noticeable how much better the performances were when he was in the team. Can't say the same for Perez.

Just because he was played slightly out of position, does not mean he is immune to criticism. Wasn't too bad tonight but he still doesnt contribute enough to the game. Sure, you never know what you're going to get with Iheanacho but you've massively contradicted yourself by repeating that it's not Perez's position but yet the alternative you suggest, is a striker, so surely he is a better option?

I'd much rather have a striker at the top end of the pitch to occupy the centre backs and give other players the chance to pick the ball up higher up the pitch, especially when we have a team today that was devoid of any pace.

• Like 4

Don't think it was an awful performance by any means but you can tell Perez just isn't an out-and-out 9. He came short and got involved with play well but in the box he just doesn't have that edge to him which you need in a goal scorer.

Not easy playing against the very deepest block you’ll ever see. Perez looks after the ball better than Vardy but isn’t going to outpace so has to come to the ball and I agree with others that say he’s better centrally but in a pairing (or as a number 10 if Maddison is injured). 

Apart from being technically decent with the ball I have absolutely no idea what his best position is. There's no denying he has ability but I can't see any role where he actually makes a significant contribution to justify selection. 

He reminds me a bit of the lad who turns up to trials at a Sunday League team and before a competitive ball has been kicked is busting out every freestyle move you've ever seen in front of an impressed coach. You then get into a competitive game and they go missing in action but still get picked for the squad ahead of the more industrious player who contributed more by focusing on the basics. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Please don't compare him to Shinjj. Shinjj never stopped running so made space for others and it was noticeable how much better the performances were when he was in the team. Can't say the same for Perez.

Just because he was played slightly out of position, does not mean he is immune to criticism. Wasn't too bad tonight but he still doesnt contribute enough to the game. Sure, you never know what you're going to get with Iheanacho but you've massively contradicted yourself by repeating that it's not Perez's position but yet the alternative you suggest, is a striker, so surely he is a better option?

I'd much rather have a striker at the top end of the pitch to occupy the centre backs and give other players the chance to pick the ball up higher up the pitch, especially when we have a team today that was devoid of any pace.

I’ll compare Perez to Shinji as much as I like mate, the comparisons are there for all to see.

They are very similar type players, it’s quite evident in the way they play. Shinji was all about work rate, pressing, playing in that hole behind the striker, where he’d be the main linkage to the attack.

You can slag Perez’s work rate all you want, but this is a guy who has created goals from his pressing game. 

Perez is not a centre forward, so therefore I’m not going to be too harsh on him, I knew what was coming tonight, I knew he’d look to come deep and offer link play to those around him. He isn’t going to play off the shoulder like Vardy, and make the runs in behind because that just isn’t his game.

Why is an out of form striker a better option? On the Perez/Iheanacho poll thread the other day I voted neither, because 1.Perez as a number 9 is not his position and 2.Iheanacho has done nothing to warrant a starting place in the team.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

Apart from being technically decent with the ball I have absolutely no idea what his best position is. There's no denying he has ability but I can't see any role where he actually makes a significant contribution to justify selection. 

He reminds me a bit of the lad who turns up to trials at a Sunday League team and before a competitive ball has been kicked is busting out every freestyle move you've ever seen in front of an impressed coach. You then get into a competitive game and they go missing in action but still get picked for the squad ahead of the more industrious player who contributed more by focusing on the basics. 

Well in fairness, you might not be able to identify his best position but you have identified his level 🤣

Perez has had 2 games up there an not really done a lot, I'd give Nacho ago over the next two games and see who works best.

Perez is a hard worker and tidy on the ball and finds space well but doesn't strike me as a goalscorer, I think Nacho has more of a goal threat

Edited by whoareyaaa

54 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Perez has had 2 games up there an not really done a lot, I'd give Nacho ago over the next two games and see who works best.

Perez is a hard worker and tidy on the ball and finds space well but doesn't strike me as a goalscorer, I think Nacho has more of a goal threat

I think Nachos utterly incompetent performance against a crap Palace side cost us 2 points and shows that he is not a goal threat in the slightest. With perez against both Brentford and Everton we created chances and Everton employed the lowest and blockiest of low blocks. Hes far from perfect but a waaay better alternative than nacho in our system.

• Like 1