Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
420Hashish

How optimistic are you this season?

It is just the third time this decade that City have remained unbeaten in their opening three league fixtures. In the other two campaigns, the Championship in 2013-14 and Premier League in 2015-16, they finished the season on top. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/leicester-city-still-second-gear-3250758

I just read this a few minutes ago on an article in the Mercury. You guys know what this means. We're going to f0k1n win the league m8s. The league trophy is coming home! :scarf:

Seriously though, we play Manchester United and Tottenham consecutively after Bournemouth this weekend. Judging from their performances, I'm fairly optimistic about our chances of achieving points from them, maybe going far enough to say we could get 6 points off of them. Of course, that is if we play both of these matches the same way we played Chelsea 2nd half. If Crystal Palace and Newcastle can beat ManU and Spurs with the poorer squads they have, then I don't see no reason why we can't go full blitzkrieg mode on them.

Edited by DrezZone
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Gonna sound like a right moaner here but I'm not impressed so far. We have good spells in games but I don't like how we're set up from the off. We have some very talented players in this squad but I feel they're being restricted by this narrow system BR has implemented. I really like Rodgers and hope he isn't too stubborn to change it up if we start to falter. I feel we've relied too much on individual brilliance rather than a winning system. Expecting dogs abuse for posting this but that's my thoughts

I agree with you. We start off games really slow, but I believe it's mostly down to Brodgers not wanting to concede an early goal in the first 15 minutes and not wanting to play a good portion of the match playing catch up with the opposition. I'm sure the Brodge will be more flexible than Puel if this system doesn't prove effective.

Before the season started. I thought top 6 was possible... Now... I'm not sure .. we've got the players, but we need to utilise them effectively, which the system we've played certainly doesn't do. 

We've got a lot of learning to do and Brendon has a lot of tweeking to do to find the correct balance. I think next season (assuming we keep everyone) could be special, but I think this year will be a year of learning and progressing. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, DrezZone said:

I agree with you. We start off games really slow, but I believe it's mostly down to Brodgers not wanting to concede an early goal in the first 15 minutes and not wanting to play a good portion of the match playing catch up with the opposition. I'm sure the Brodge will be more flexible than Puel if this system doesn't prove effective.

Yeah just a bit too passive for my liking

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Before the season started. I thought top 6 was possible... Now... I'm not sure .. we've got the players, but we need to utilise them effectively, which the system we've played certainly doesn't do. 

We've got a lot of learning to do and Brendon has a lot of tweeking to do to find the correct balance. I think next season (assuming we keep everyone) could be special, but I think this year will be a year of learning and progressing. 

I tend to although I feel we need to do something this season to convince the likes of Maddison and Pereira etc to stick around

• Like 4

I'm also not overly impressed by our performances, although given that we're implementing a new system, misfirings must be taken into account. It helps that I never saw us as realistically be challenging for top 6 this season.

I'd be delighted to take a point or more at OT, as I'm still firmly convinced that Olly is a strong contender to get the boot by Xmas, if Rashy, Lingy, Youngy and Maggy underperform.

However Tottenham will be a very tough game, make no mistake.

I expected two draws and a win from our opening three games, that has us sitting in 4th so we can't moan too much.

The football we've played could be much better though, our current system has been frustrating to watch and we've been nowhere near our best.

There's room for improvement but we're a side with tremendous potential, things will start clicking at some point.

We are on par with a lot of teams, top six is a huge possibility but there's numerous things we need to figure out.

2 minutes ago, kingfox said:

I expected two draws and a win from our opening three games, that has us sitting in 4th so we can't moan too much.

We're also only 2 points off 19th. :P

The league table is hardly worth the paper it's written on at this stage. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, DrezZone said:

It is just the third time this decade that City have remained unbeaten in their opening three league fixtures. In the other two campaigns, the Championship in 2013-14 and Premier League in 2015-16, they finished the season on top. https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/sport/football/match-reports/leicester-city-still-second-gear-3250758

I just read this a few minutes ago on an article in the Mercury. You guys know what this means. We're going to f0k1n win the league m8s. The league trophy is coming home! :scarf:

Seriously though, we play Manchester United and Tottenham consecutively after Bournemouth this weekend. Judging from their performances, I'm fairly optimistic about our chances of achieving points from them, maybe going far enough to say we could get 6 points off of them. Of course, that is if we play both of these matches the same way we played Chelsea 2nd half. If Crystal Palace and Newcastle can beat ManU and Spurs with the poorer squads they have, then I don't see no reason why we can't go full blitzkrieg mode on them.

Its not proven they have poorer Squads...again presumption,creates arrogant entitlement....Then nonsense posts.. "Games we should win"

We are still at the stage of proving our talent & potential. Plus we have to earn our points and right to be presumptious!!!!

• Like 2

I’m not impressed by our performances thus far either, but I think anywhere from 5th on down is there for the taking.  But if we’re going to qualify for Europe we need to be chasing wins, not trying not to lose.  A win and a loss is better than two draws.

That said, based on talent we should finish anywhere from 5-8th.  And while BR isn’t the tactical wizard some make him out to be, he should be competent enough to find a mix of formations that get us there.  I’d guess 7th but with a few breaks it could be as high as 5th.

56 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

I reckon alot of fans,have to some learning to do.. The team,the formation,and Rodgers are doing well,and yes there things the squad have to learn und there will be the tweeks...

Bit noway can I agree,that this or that system After 3 games is wrong. And why some Posters Think a Top 6 is a 'Gimme' is just misplaced entitlement..!!

Definitely optimistic! Unbeaten, got three points, Vardy off the mark, Soyuncu looks the real deal, Hamza and Barnes looking good, great team spirit against Chelsea.

Could we be better? God yes! Pretty much everyone has hit the nail on the head in terms of our shape and style not looking entirely convincing yet, if at all. If you compared this to our start in 15/16 for example, we don't look nearly as good as we did then when although we had a very open style, people were marveling at a reborn Mahrez and the unlikeliest double act since the two Ronnies in Vardy and Okzaki given Vardy had to apologise for alleged racist abuse over the summer!

But one thing I would say is that we have definitely transitioned from a team that were the plucky underdogs into a team all opponents take seriously. We are very much like Everton of yesteryear when you knew they would never go down, knew they had good players and knew if you weren't on it they could take the points. And Moyes I believe guided Everton to two top 5 finishes in his stint there, so it is possible depending on how the league shakes up.

For me our ability to grind out results is most impressive. I don't think a single player has truly hit top gear in our side yet, with our best players so far being IMO Evans, Soyuncu and Choudhury. Evans I don't think has even been special, but he is a rock and super dependable and has provided a calming influence on Soyuncu, who has probably been the revelation of the season. Hamza is another more defensively orientated player, but he's been good in all of the games he's been in, and MOTM against Sheffield United. The fact that we've been so solid and no attacker is anywhere near peak form yet is exciting. Though perhaps we've under-performed up top there is no way we go an entire season without Vardy, Maddison, Tielemans or others hitting a purple patch at some point. If it clicks up front we are going to shred some teams.

Biggest disappointment has probably been Perez, because in preseason he looked fantastic and he's not reproduced that form yet. Costing 30m is obviously a worry given many of our big signings have often not worked out. But I think he will prove to be at worst a good squad option. And one really big thing for us this season is that our squad is very competitive with players having to play well to keep their places. With no Europe to worry about, a young and energetic team, and lots of options to change our formation and personnel, I am optimistic.

• Like 3

After being fully resigned to going down at the beginning of April 2015, every season in the PL is a bonus for me. Having said that I’m not sure Rodgers is getting the best out of this talented group of players, with only the second half vs Chelsea really impressing.

Probably finish ninth, which would be fine, except that I’d then be worried about keeping our best players, and I’m not entirely convinced that our recruitment post Puel will be able to replace them adequately.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

1 hour ago, foxfanazer said:

Gonna sound like a right moaner here but I'm not impressed so far. We have good spells in games but I don't like how we're set up from the off. We have some very talented players in this squad but I feel they're being restricted by this narrow system BR has implemented. I really like Rodgers and hope he isn't too stubborn to change it up if we start to falter. I feel we've relied too much on individual brilliance rather than a winning system. I feel like Wolves and Chelsea were both there for the taking

Expecting dogs abuse for posting this but that's my thoughts

I don’t think you’re being unreasonable even though I differ in opinion in terms of our start. 

I think we have  gone for a cautious approach and it probably hasn’t allowed our more creative players to shine as yet.

However, I do think there is a method behind as to why Rodgers has taken this approach at the start. We had two very difficult games to start off with and, in my opinion ( not meaning any disrespect to Sheff U) a potential banana skin. Losing any of them with a young squad could really have hampered the confidence of what is a young and because of that youthfulness, potentially fragile squad. 

In addition, even though it was somewhat expected, we lost our starting CB a week before the first game. This in turn led to a young (and very talented) CB being entrusted into the limelight where any mistake would’ve been magnified. 

All in all, this is why I think Rodgers has taken a cautious approach. 

I expect us to get better and more adventurous as the season progresses. I can’t see Barnes not starting for too long and I expect Tielemans to go up two or three gears. 

• Like 4

Quite happy, especially relative to others. We've been picking up points whilst knowing we're not quite getting it right yet, and in the meantime the teams we're hoping to beat in the league have dropped points. Beat Bournemouth and it will have been a very solid start. 

But, all that hope might soon disappear given that we have United, spurs, and and Liverpool in the 4 games after the break. Tough run..