Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Newcastle 1-1, 4-2 penalties EFL Cup Post Match Thread

4 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I’ve played the game thank you. For far to long and far too much according to my legs. 

The ball is hiding the gap between Chodurys foot and the ball, that’s not the point of contact, now assuming you’ve played the game specifically as a defender you’ll know when you launch a slide challenge That’s the kind of position your in about half a second before you do make contact, his right leg should be extended With his left leg tucked up. 

now to put this to bed the actual point of contact is above, both with Ritchie making contact with the ball and hamser  making contact with Ritchie, posted by jasper who clearly has too much time on his hands but has done an excellent job of showing what actually happened, the ball literally on Ritchie’s toe with hamser clearly about to flatten him and then hamser clattering him with ball gone (conviently exactly where Ritchie was trying to play It) He’s late, it’s excessive force, and he’s always going to get into trouble for it, or let’s so you’re right (your not) and next time he miss times it by half a second, the under lining   is he needs to be more controlled than that or he will get sent off in the premier league.

Noticebly, the referee is absolutely right on the spot. Slightly mistimed maybe but, if Hamza had of been that late and shown such excessive force I think he would have been sent straight off immediately. It's football and these things happen every game, sometimes there's injuries sadly sometimes there's not.

• Like 1

It’s become a pointless argument .....

the fact is that the comments from Bruce are unnecessary and will make hamza more marked by refs. Also less likely to be selected by England. He could have said - it’s one of those challenges between two committed players where injuries like this can happen ......but he chose to make a big deal out of it and continued to do so. When they come to our place in four weeks we should let him know that we think he’s an old ‘has been’ out of his depth .......

Really don’t want hamza to turn into the teams ‘thug’ going around kicking and injuring people. He needs to learn and quickly that he’s going to get a reputation which will eventually mean every time he leaves the ground, he will receive a yellow. Just look at Ndidi; makes more tackles than anyone, yet I’m not sure I’ve ever seem him make a poorly timed challenge & he very rarely leaves the ground/ slide tackles. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

Noticebly, the referee is absolutely right on the spot. Slightly mistimed maybe but, if Hamza had of been that late and shown such excessive force I think he would have been sent straight off immediately. It's football and these things happen every game, sometimes there's injuries sadly sometimes there's not.

He is indeed there and has deemed it to not be a red which is fair enough I am not saying he should of walked for it and that's it's a nailed on red card challenge, it' a yellow for me, just that we all know there are numerous refs who on the right day are reaching for their back pocket after that tackle, and if he carries on tackling with that lack of control he will  end up in the changing rooms alot earlier than a lot of us would like too frequently.

Also that it is clearly a f***ing foul as some people seem to think it is a throw back to Booby Moore.

• Like 2

I'm pretty disappointed that our first team scraped a draw against Newcastle reserves. It doesn't speak good for us. We should have played our own squad players and looked at possible changes to the first team.

Considering we have gone to Madders, Tielemans and Praet as assist suppliers we have had incredibly few shots so far this season and a miserable amount on target.

It's worrying.

Ritchie out for 2mths with ankle ligament damage, generally a strong fair challenge wouldn't cause an injury and both players would get up with the receiver thinking right I'll get you next time.

Hamza was lucky this time but he will be marked by both referees and players in the future.

There is nothing wrong with aggression you need it to be a sports personality but the key word is 'controlled' but Hamza does 1 or 2 tackles in a game where he lunges in risking injury to the opposition &/or himself it's these he needs to cut out and play with control. It looks good and gets us fans thinking go on but take Ndidi's style, he tops the list for most tackles for past 2 seasons but how many cards does he get for over-aggression, not many.

Edited by BKLFox

10 minutes ago, FIF said:

I'm pretty disappointed that our first team scraped a draw against Newcastle reserves. It doesn't speak good for us. We should have played our own squad players and looked at possible changes to the first team.

Considering we have gone to Madders, Tielemans and Praet as assist suppliers we have had incredibly few shots so far this season and a miserable amount on target.

It's worrying.

I 100% agree.

I watched a re-run of the match yesterday and although we had lots of possession, there was so little actual penetration. One or two shots on target was a poor effort.

There were two or three times in the match where we moved the ball fast, and when we did that we looked so much better, but it's becoming rare and is concerning. We must up our tempo, right from the start, and keep it up.

It's great we won, but it was the touch and go of a penalty shootout, and not the 'proper' win it should have been with the team we put out.

We didn't really break sweat and never really got into our stride. But a win is a win. They wanted the win more than us and were determined to shut up shop to prevent us from scoring at all costs.

Compare the players celebrations when we scored to when they scored.

But that's usually going to be the case when a top 6 team plays a minnow.  ;)

We, as fans, have to start getting use to that. :D

Bruce really isn't the issue here, he's lost one of his better players for 2 months following a late challenge that Hamser was correctly booked for, Obviously he will exaggerate but that's what football managers  do, but he has a reason to be a bit miffed.

The only person who will keep himself out of the England setup or make himself are marked man is Hamser himself by diving in like that on a regular basis.   

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

He is indeed there and has deemed it to not be a red which is fair enough I am not saying he should of walked for it and that's it's a nailed on red card challenge, it' a yellow for me, just that we all know there are numerous refs who on the right day are reaching for their back pocket after that tackle, and if he carries on tackling with that lack of control he will  end up in the changing rooms alot earlier than a lot of us would like too frequently.

Also that it is clearly a f***ing foul as some people seem to think it is a throw back to Booby Moore.

I take your point. I think the way he plays the game unfortunately makes him susceptible to yellow cards, he's forever on the move, aggressive and keen to win the ball. It's a very fine line between being rash and making a spot on challenge. Personally I wouldn't change a thing, every team needs such a player and with him and Ndidi we've got two very young excellent for their age aggressive energetic ball winners who will no doubt be the envy of many Premiership sides and spook the life out of many a Premiership player, not unlike Ritchie who appeared to be trying to pull out of that tackle. To try and alter such a player would blunt him and his effectiveness. Yellow cards are an occupational hazard for such players which is why it's a good job we've got two of them 😂😂. If both get suspended I've got plenty of faith in Mendy as back up. The odd red card can also happen but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, volpeazzurro said:

I take your point. I think the way he plays the game unfortunately makes him susceptible to yellow cards, he's forever on the move, aggressive and keen to win the ball. It's a very fine line between being rash and making a spot on challenge. Personally I wouldn't change a thing, every team needs such a player and with him and Ndidi we've got two very young excellent for their age aggressive energetic ball winners who will no doubt be the envy of many Premiership sides and spook the life out of many a Premiership player, not unlike Ritchie who appeared to be trying to pull out of that tackle. To try and alter such a player would blunt him and his effectiveness. Yellow cards are an occupational hazard for such players which is why it's a good job we've got two of them 😂😂. If both get suspended I've got plenty of faith in Mendy as back up. The odd red card can also happen but the positives far outweigh the negatives for me.

Spot on. Would be silly to ask the guy to change. It'll destroy his confidence. Rogers will know how to handle it.

I don't think Hamza is a malicious player at all so no bad intent. Ref was right there, just an unfortunate follow through after he won the ball. He made the decision and wasn't going to pull out of the tackle. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, FIF said:

It's worrying.

I felt that only drawing against Newcastle reserves was accepted surprisingly well. I think we would have done no worse doing our usual but it could be said that a manager is dammed either way

14 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I’ve played the game thank you. For far to long and far too much according to my legs. 

The ball is hiding the gap between Chodurys foot and the ball, that’s not the point of contact, now assuming you’ve played the game specifically as a defender you’ll know when you launch a slide challenge That’s the kind of position your in about half a second before you do make contact, his right leg should be extended With his left leg tucked up. 

now to put this to bed the actual point of contact is above, both with Ritchie making contact with the ball and hamser  making contact with Ritchie, posted by jasper who clearly has too much time on his hands but has done an excellent job of showing what actually happened, the ball literally on Ritchie’s toe with hamser clearly about to flatten him and then hamser clattering him with ball gone (conviently exactly where Ritchie was trying to play It) He’s late, it’s excessive force, and he’s always going to get into trouble for it, or let’s so you’re right (your not) and next time he miss times it by half a second, the under lining   is he needs to be more controlled than that or he will get sent off in the premier league.

Interesting to see what the reaction on here would've been had it been Ritchie on Hamza. I'm sure fans would have been as forgiving for nonchalant about it.

2 minutes ago, Footballwipe said:

Interesting to see what the reaction on here would've been had it been Ritchie on Hamza. I'm sure fans would have been as forgiving for nonchalant about it.

Out for 2 months as well, there would be a pitch fork wielding mob.

10 hours ago, Meat and 2 veg said:

Really don’t want hamza to turn into the teams ‘thug’ going around kicking and injuring people. He needs to learn and quickly that he’s going to get a reputation which will eventually mean every time he leaves the ground, he will receive a yellow. Just look at Ndidi; makes more tackles than anyone, yet I’m not sure I’ve ever seem him make a poorly timed challenge & he very rarely leaves the ground/ slide tackles. 

But he also tends to win the ball later in less dangerous situations for the opposition. A Hamza tackle that is early, higher up the pitch and quick, allows us to counter and catch the opposition while their commited.

3 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Out for 2 months as well, there would be a pitch fork wielding mob.

Two months? He didn't commit to the challenge. Left his leg trailing and got caught. It's his own fault. If he had committed to the challenge he wouldn't be injured.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Two months? He didn't commit to the challenge. Left his leg trailing and got caught. It's his own fault. If he had committed to the challenge he wouldn't be injured.

There nothing to commit to he’s got to the ball first and passed it off then been absolutely clattered after the evidence is on the previous page.

2 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

There nothing to commit to he’s got to the ball first and passed it off then been absolutely clattered after the evidence is on the previous page.

Can we have a vote ?

ive freeze framed over and over again and Ritchie is always second to the ball ........how can he pass to shelvey on his right when the ball is on his instep ?

i haven’t seen anyone apart from you claim that hamza was second to the ball.... the freeze frames you refer to do not support your view

The follow through or strength of the tackle can be discussed but hamza definitely gets to the ball first ...... I just can’t see anything different and hamza’s interview in the mockery says as much 

• Like 4