Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Jamie Vardy- World Class?

I cant imagine Barcelona or Real Madrid would ever out a bud in do in that sense he's not world class?

But he is one of the best strikers around over the last few years and all the club's outside the"elite few" would love him in their team.

He's up there now as a true Leicester legend alongside the likes of Steve Walsh.

People harp on about the word legend very easily for a player who's had three good games ins row but Vardy IS a legend for us.

Guest BlueBrett

Such a shame he got picked up so late. Imagine if he’d had the benefits of professionally orchestrated conditioning and nutrition and top level coaching ever since his late teens. There’s a decent argument to be made that his journey is what moulded him into the uniquely tenacious player and personality he is today, but we saw when he first joined the club it takes time to develop the physicality that has epitomized his game over the past few seasons. He’s accomplished  so much in a condensed top level career who knows what else could have been if he’d had more time.

On the other hand I wouldn’t change a thing about him. We’ve had some legendary players at the club over the years but for me Jamie Vardy sits at the top of the pile. So many unprecedented achievements and the ultimate talisman. He’s the personification of what we all want lcfc to be all about. Love him so much.

Oh and yes he is world class. Some have made the point he might not walk into any starting eleven but there’s not a manager on earth that wouldn’t take him in their squad.

Edited by BlueBrett

I'll hold my hands up and admit I've underestimated him in the past, and I assumed that he'd be getting slower and less lethal. I've been very very wrong. The guy is immense. He is undoubtedly World Class in what he does. His finishing is fantastic. This season could be very interesting!!

12 hours ago, Lesterlad said:

He is superb for us. But no he is not world class. 

Strikers like Messi Ronaldo Lewandowski Kane Arguero are world class.  

Kane is overrated.

He’s a greedy bastard who shoots from anywhere often to the detriment of his team. He has played in a Champions League side (which is a massive help compared to what Vardy has had to work with) with a conversion rate of chances / shots to goals that is not World Class.

Edited by NotTheMarketLeader
  • Like 2

I wouldnt call him world class

But he is one of the most effective players you would ever see.

I keep expecting at some point he will somewhat drop off when his pace leaves him but hes showing no signs of that and long may it continue

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

Without doubt Vardy is a legend, I wouldn't swap him for Kane, but the difference between top top class and world class is being able to do it every game. We have all seen Vardy have completely ineffective games, we can blame Puel or Hodgson but world class players don't let that happen.

Can I draw your attention to the last World Cup, in which Kane flounced about the pitch uselessly and hit some sublime penalties.

He was absolutely awful after the second game, and it’s to Southgate’s discredit that he never took him off in time or bawled him out...

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Captain... said:

On days like today he is World Class and when he is on a hot streak he is just a machine, but he does have poor games where he has no influence and poor runs of games. That is the difference between Kane and Vardy, Kane does it so consistently he even scores in August now. 

Kane doesn’t have poor games and always influences games? 

He’s consistently scored plenty of goals, that’s for sure, but as I’ve said in another post; the difference actually is, Kane is playing in a top team with many more chances served up to him with not world class goals to shot ratio.

I therefore don’t see how that makes him ‘a better’ striker than Vardy or world class tbh.

2 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Can I draw your attention to the last World Cup, in which Kane flounced about the pitch uselessly and hit some sublime penalties.

He was absolutely awful after the second game, and it’s to Southgate’s discredit that he never took him off in time or bawled him out...

Not to mention the Euros under Woy. 😃

33 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

The World Cup he won golden boot? His record for England is very good, but he performs a lot more consistently for Spurs and I comparing club form, if I was comparing performances in an England shirt it would still be Kane, Vardy has had some great games for England but mainly he is completely nullified by the system. I don't think Kane has ever had a game where he only touches the ball 3 times in a half. You can argue that Puel didn't play to Vardy's strengths the way Spurs do for Kane, but even under Ranieri in the title season there were games and runs of games where he did nothing and couldn't exert any influence. 

I don't watch Kane week in week out, but taking off blue tinted specs, you can't deny he is a World Class striker, Aguero and Kane are that bit ahead of everyone else in the PL, Aubameyang is just behind them, then probably Vardy.

Edited by Captain...

His top 10 best goals are World Class, but consistently as a player I'd say not.

I still believe World Class is Ballon D'or winning/nominated territory and obvious names here apply. 

What he has done for the Club though is huge, so on our level and to us only, World Class.

That said, if you were pissed in a pub or at an event and you bumped into him, you'd possibly slur "I luv you Jamie Vardy, you're proper world class..Now, can I get you a Blue WKD?" 

and he'd say "Not today Danny, I'm driving, but thanks for the compliment, come on Rebekah, Emmerdale starts in half hour and it's hair wash for the kids night" 

Just now, Captain... said:

The World Cup he won golden boot? His record for England is very good, but he performs a lot more consistently for Spurs and I comparing club form. I don't think he has ever had a game where he only touches the ball 3 times in a half. You can argue that Puel didn't play to Vardy's strengths the way Spurs do for Kane, but even under Ranieri in the title season there were games and runs of games where he did nothing and couldn't exert any influence. 

I don't watch Kane week in week out, but taking off blue tinted specs, you can't deny he is a World Class striker, Aguero and Kane are that bit ahead of everyone else in the PL, Aubameyang is just behind them, then probably Vardy. 

Yes, the World Cup where he won golden boot (4 pens and a deflection he knew nothing about?) and cost us a place in the final with his poor positioning and selfish use of the ball. I don’t understand how people watched him play and bought into the idea that he had a good World Cup. 

Now, that awful summer aside, yes, Kane can play. He scores goals. A fraction of the number he should, but he does. He’s selfish and ill-disciplined and doesn’t play for the team, but his shooting is excellent. However, the day Eriksen leaves will be the day his form mysteriously dips: he is wildly underrated and creates the 5 chances a game that Harry needs to score 1.

Don't disagree on Aguero, and I think Aubameyang and Mane are similarly influential to JV. Kane somewhere slightly above Pukki.

For me, the question is 'would he get into the team if he was at some of the world's best clubs and I think (bar maybe Barca and Real), he would do. He's one of the most productive and effective strikers in the world. Aside from Messi and Ronaldo who are in a league of their own, Vards is on a par with anyone else I can think of. Not many players with the all round game that Jamie has and not many who would have scored so many goals from relatively few chances.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Yes, the World Cup where he won golden boot (4 pens and a deflection he knew nothing about?) and cost us a place in the final with his poor positioning and selfish use of the ball. I don’t understand how people watched him play and bought into the idea that he had a good World Cup. 

Now, that awful summer aside, yes, Kane can play. He scores goals. A fraction of the number he should, but he does. He’s selfish and ill-disciplined and doesn’t play for the team, but his shooting is excellent. However, the day Eriksen leaves will be the day his form mysteriously dips: he is wildly underrated and creates the 5 chances a game that Harry needs to score 1.

Don't disagree on Aguero, and I think Aubameyang and Mane are similarly influential to JV. Kane somewhere slightly above Pukki.

In the same amount of time in the premier league Kane has scored 40 more goals than Vardy nearly 50% more. He has a lot of shots but he has earned the right to be greedy and he creates the space around him to be able to take the shot. Kane is a phenomenal striker.

https://sport.bt.com/football/sergio-aguero-v-harry-kane-who-is-english-footballs-deadliest-marksman-S11364352857669

An old article but it shows Kane and Aguero have similar shot conversion rates. 

As I said I don't watch Kane week in week out and I wouldn't swap him for Vardy, but being objective Kane is a world class striker Vardy is just behind.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Captain... said:

In the same amount of time in the premier league Kane has scored 40 more goals than Vardy nearly 50% more. He has a lot of shots but he has earned the right to be greedy and he creates the space around him to be able to take the shot. Kane is a phenomenal striker.

https://sport.bt.com/football/sergio-aguero-v-harry-kane-who-is-english-footballs-deadliest-marksman-S11364352857669

As I said I don't watch Kane week in week out and I wouldn't swap him for Vardy, but being objective Kane is a world class striker Vardy is just behind.

And he's won **** all in his career. What will he be remembered for?

43 minutes ago, Captain... said:

Ok, we’ll probably differ on Kane and won’t change each other’s mind. But if he’s better, why wouldn’t you swap him? There must be something in what he brings to the team that you like more in Vardy, which is part of being a top class striker?

11 minutes ago, Oxfordfox83 said:

Ok, we’ll probably differ on Kane and won’t change each other’s mind. But if he’s better, why wouldn’t you swap him? There must be something in what he brings to the team that you like more in Vardy, which is part of being a top class striker?

Because Vardy epitomises Leicester, he is a legend here and everything he is sums up Leicester as a club. I wouldn't swap Vardy for Kane but if I was putting together a best of premier league team it wouldn't include Vardy but it would probably include Kane in the first 11 (depending on formation) or as a sub.

Because Vardy plays for Leicester and not a big 6 team, its hard for people to believe anyone is 'world class' playing outside a top 6 Prem club(or Top name clubs in the other leagues). However even If I take off my blue Leicester City goggles, he is 100% world class. A world class finisher, a world class goal scorer and much better than a lazy fan thinks who doesnt watch him about his all round game. He has a world class engine and stamina, lightning speed even at 32 going on 33 and a much better first touch than given credit for, a great football brain and also what people wont see is hes really good at reading the game and getting into dangerous postions.

Lets also remember hes playing with alot of average players, some top class players also but the few times he has had a dry spell its usually due to managers rotating him/using him wrongly(puel last season, ranieri 16/17 etc). This proves to me he would score bundles in any top team with top players..Imagine him in city or Liverpool now? 20 goals guarenteed!

He is 100% world class by anyones standards..world class means one of the top strikers in the world over an era(5-10 year period). It doesnt mean Messi/Ronaldo level because clearly they are on another planet!

Jamie Vardy is world class, one of the best strikers in this recent era of the Premier League.

He is clinical and both footed and good in the air.

Scored in both knock out stage ties of his only CL campaign.

Scored at international level including at a Euros' and at a decent caps to goals rate, despite being a non regular.

1 of only a select few strikers to of scored 20+ premier league goals in 2+ seasons.(1 season wonder debate? haha clueless).

Has the best record in Premier League history vs the top 6 and not only this has scored at least 1 goal at every one of the top 6 clubs Away from home(only scores in easy games? Nope another flawed critism).

Premier League record 11 Games.

83 Prem Goals in 179  Prem Games. Just under 1 in 2 for a mid table/sometimes relegation threatened team(14/15 and 16/17).

Premier League winner, FWA Footballer of the year.

Its not even a debate for me..The best player to ever play for Leicester. A Leicester great, A premier league great and a world class striker. If he was under 25 he'd be worth £100 million and every single top club would be after him.

Will go down as a great and now we have got, probably one of the best squads if not best squad in our entire history..we could potential push top 6/european place and a domestic cup, maybe this is the season where we can make even more noises?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain... said:

Because Vardy epitomises Leicester, he is a legend here and everything he is sums up Leicester as a club. I wouldn't swap Vardy for Kane but if I was putting together a best of premier league team it wouldn't include Vardy but it would probably include Kane in the first 11 (depending on formation) or as a sub.

Fair enough. I respectfully disagree. I think you can make cases for the no. 9s from Liverpool, Man City and Arsenal as in the same class as Vardy. Beyond that, for me, is fresh air.

• Like 1