Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Jamie Vardy- World Class?

In the old days a striker was measured in the amount of goals he scored but these days there is more to it than that. Otherwise everyone would be goal hanging.

As LCFC fans we have all, I’m sure, been in the position in the past where we have been defending Heskey because he didn’t score loads. What he did do was great for the team.

My point being is how many goals per season would JV get playing for a team with more chances like Man City it how many would Sergio get playing for a team with less chances like us?

Is there not some stat site that can work out the chances to goals ratio? I’m sure someone could do this.

10 hours ago, deanolegend1989 said:

Because Vardy plays for Leicester and not a big 6 team, its hard for people to believe anyone is 'world class' playing outside a top 6 Prem club(or Top name clubs in the other leagues). However even If I take off my blue Leicester City goggles, he is 100% world class. A world class finisher, a world class goal scorer and much better than a lazy fan thinks who doesnt watch him about his all round game. He has a world class engine and stamina, lightning speed even at 32 going on 33 and a much better first touch than given credit for, a great football brain and also what people wont see is hes really good at reading the game and getting into dangerous postions.

Lets also remember hes playing with alot of average players, some top class players also but the few times he has had a dry spell its usually due to managers rotating him/using him wrongly(puel last season, ranieri 16/17 etc). This proves to me he would score bundles in any top team with top players..Imagine him in city or Liverpool now? 20 goals guarenteed!

He is 100% world class by anyones standards..world class means one of the top strikers in the world over an era(5-10 year period). It doesnt mean Messi/Ronaldo level because clearly they are on another planet!

Jamie Vardy is world class, one of the best strikers in this recent era of the Premier League.

He is clinical and both footed and good in the air.

Scored in both knock out stage ties of his only CL campaign.

Scored at international level including at a Euros' and at a decent caps to goals rate, despite being a non regular.

1 of only a select few strikers to of scored 20+ premier league goals in 2+ seasons.(1 season wonder debate? haha clueless).

Has the best record in Premier League history vs the top 6 and not only this has scored at least 1 goal at every one of the top 6 clubs Away from home(only scores in easy games? Nope another flawed critism).

Premier League record 11 Games.

83 Prem Goals in 179  Prem Games. Just under 1 in 2 for a mid table/sometimes relegation threatened team(14/15 and 16/17).

Premier League winner, FWA Footballer of the year.

Its not even a debate for me..The best player to ever play for Leicester. A Leicester great, A premier league great and a world class striker. If he was under 25 he'd be worth £100 million and every single top club would be after him.

Will go down as a great and now we have got, probably one of the best squads if not best squad in our entire history..we could potential push top 6/european place and a domestic cup, maybe this is the season where we can make even more noises?

I Really Like the write up...Wclass,just like this Forum proves,is in the "Eyes of the beholder"

One doesnt have to Play for a Top 6 Club to be WClass,One doesnt have to be a Great Goalscorer,there are so many,assets,attributes to move in the high Circles of Top profi-leagues...also right time,right moment actions from the individual or the would be team selector/manager...

Before any of us  Select any Player to the high achelons of World class,we should define the expectations to Quality what makes a WClass player,then also use present & past Player comparisons.

We cant move the Bar willy nilly to justify our own choices... Messi/Ronaldo/Zatlan are not on another planet,they are of this world..so by definition WClass as we know it....!!! 

We have different qualities,different positions,different mind sets,even different styles,covering the same positions,or across the same lines...

If maybe harsh or splitting hairs for some,but in the modern World we over use, abuse,mis-use some of  adjectives ,to qualify sportsman actions, words like couragous,brave,heroic etc. In the same Breath we Shouldnt demean,devaluate for the Sporting World the Achelon World class.!

I believe players like Weller,& Gibson(my only football idols), Vardy ( Not just Mine but a PL-legend),Kane (Top international), are/were top, even great players,but for me not to be bracketed World class..!!!   Weller & Vardy,could of been,   Kane could ( I Doubt it), still be..!!

I suppose it depends on what scroll of thoughts you have..Wclass More Today becomes even more contenscious qualification,mainly due to the open ready available media World Wide coverage..!! 

Edited by fuchsntf

Even at his age, he’s still improving year on year. He looks better technically now than in 15/16.

Even if we don’t win anything else this season, I’d love it if Vards finally gets his Golden Boot, after coming so close several times.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HesNotGudjonsonn2 said:

In the old days a striker was measured in the amount of goals he scored but these days there is more to it than that. Otherwise everyone would be goal hanging.

As LCFC fans we have all, I’m sure, been in the position in the past where we have been defending Heskey because he didn’t score loads. What he did do was great for the team.

My point being is how many goals per season would JV get playing for a team with more chances like Man City it how many would Sergio get playing for a team with less chances like us?

Is there not some stat site that can work out the chances to goals ratio? I’m sure someone could do this.

Whoscored is alright. 

I've done it before and would be interested to do again with 2019 thrown in but I'm on me jollies atm and can't be arsed. 

But yes he's consistently impressive with goals per chance, or chances per goal whichever. 

Is Rodgers bringing Vardy back to the party?

Jamie Vardy is averaging a goal or assist per match in his 14 league games under Brendan Rodgers
Jamie Vardy scored two and created another as Brendan Rodgers' Leicester City climbed to third in the formative Premier League table with a 3-1 home win over Bournemouth.

The former England international evoked memories of his club's 2015-16 title season as he opened the scoring - racing on to a forward ball and taking a touch before lobbing over Aaron Ramsdale.

After also scoring in the Foxes' 2-1 win at Sheffield United last weekend, it means Vardy has now been directly involved in 14 goals in 14 Premier League games under Rodgers (12 goals, two assists).

How far can Leicester go this season?
And Vardy's prolific form under the former Liverpool and Celtic boss elevates him into an exclusive list of Premier League players to have notched at least one goal or assist per game under a specific manager.

But it is not Rodgers' only appearance, with his management of Luis Suarez at Anfield yielding a stunning return of 1.08 goals or assists per match in 66 league games.

Player (minimum 10 appearances)    Manager    Appearances    Goals    Assists    Goals + assists    Rate of goals or assists per match
Alan Shearer    Kevin Keegan    18    15    5    20    1.11
Alan Shearer    Ray Harford    35    31    7    38    1.09
Jurgen Klinsmann    Osvaldo Ardiles    12    8    5    13    1.08
Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang    Arsene Wenger    13    10    4    14    1.08
Luis Suarez    Brendan Rodgers    66    54    17    71    1.08
Chris Sutton    John Deehan    18    12    7    19    1.06
Andrew Cole    Kevin Keegan    58    43    16    59    1.02
Matthew le Tissier    Alan Ball    57    34    23    57    1.00
Les Ferdinand    Ray Wilkins    25    18    7    25    1.00
Jamie Vardy    Brendan Rodgers    14    12    2    14    1.00
Diego Costa    Guus Hiddink    14    9    5    14    1.00

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49538837

It's all based on how you define world class to be honest which is subjective in itself.  To me it's one of the top 2 or 3 players in the world in your position so on that basis no he's not world class.

Someone else might interpret it differently and based on that interpretation he may be in that persons thinking.

A good example of the interpretation would be when Sir Alex Ferguson said during all his years at Man Utd he only ever had four world class players.

Whatever he is he is one hell of a striker and will go down among the EPL greats imo.  The fact he's stayed with Leicester heightens that as well imo.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, splinterdream said:

I wanted to call the dog when we got him in 2016 Vardy but the missis and daughter weren't having it

They spoil all the bloody fun. 

I bet they would allow it if we wanted to call them after their favourite hairdresser or something

Nothing against any single write up. He deserves all the accolades..

But and there is always a but.....!!!

There was a Clip  of him,just After Maddison was subbed,and another run & chase down,

where you see him actually laughing and saying to a teammate " I am ****ed"...

We must guard our treasure...We cant expect him to produce such Bournemouth Physical performances in every game...

If we want to see 2-3 consistent seasons, Plus a strong one this season,we might have to consider

Choice-rotation, and some regular games with only  60 Minute Spells with chosen subs like we did with  Shinji und Ulloa,

when we go deeper into the season...I dont believe he will lose yet that scorching pace,but he wont be able to call on it so regularly,in a single game.

Like a bowler at cricket,you need the overs in your legs,but not over do the overs in a single innings...!!!

You dont continually Bowl bouncers or googlies,but keep the suprises as actually that suprises!!!

He'll be fine. Lower impact training, no international duty, he'll manage for the most part. He's naturally extremely fit, rarely injured or subbed off despite his playstyle.

He was like a man possessed on Saturday, he generally restrains himself from charging about after every ball but couldn't seem to help himself on Sat.

Looking at the Premier League 100 club, currently in 28 years of the Premier League, just 28 players have hit the 100 goal mark, read through the names and it’s quality through and through. On that list however, only 2 players have not played for at least one of the top 6 clubs. One is Shearer who spent most of his time at the top of the league with both Blackburn and Newcastle. Matt Le Tissier is the other.

We know at those top 6 clubs you are generally supplied by other world class players and get more chances than the players who play in mid table or even relegation fighting teams.

Vardy now has 17 goals to join that club, I think when he does hit it, (and it is when not if) people might suddenly wake up to how good he actually is.

19 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

We called him marley in the end, he's a labrador

IMG_20190526_202320_749.jpg

Hmm yeah, I see him more as an Albrighton than a Vardy, loyal and a bit more gentle. 

I think Marley is a good name. 

41 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

He should get called back to the national team. Fit as a fiddle.

Hope he reconsiders his initial decision. England could really use a player like him.

He’d never play though. Not in his correct position, nor the team in a way that suits him. 

Its criminal, but it’s fact

• Like 1

1 hour ago, splinterdream said:

Went to the doctors with me vardy shirt on today, doc was a Wednesday supporter, not only gave me my anti biotics but gave me a bonus inhaler for my chest infection 😉

That’s what he told you 

Reality is his a Sheffield United fan and gave you expired medication, and the old inhaler the kid with Coldsores left in his room last week.

1 hour ago, MC Prussian said:

Hope he reconsiders his initial decision. England could really use a player like him.

They wouldn’t play him because they’ve got their heads all wedges up Kane’s arse. 

4 hours ago, MC Prussian said:

He actually should. I think he's too good for England to not take. They won't though.