Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Jamie Vardy- World Class?

6 hours ago, An Sionnach said:

Good call that, same height,same build , same lightening pace and same cool and ruthlessness in scoring positions . I think Denis shaded it in the air though ,who said white guys can't jump , D.L.could jump 5ft off of the ground !

He had that  ability to "hang" in the air.. Man U fans used to call Denis Law " the King"...not bad when you consider Bobby Charlton and George Best  were playing in the same side.

I can well believe Man U would come in with an offer for JV,not only does it improve them it also weakens one of their big rivals...and if they offered him  a 3 year contract worth say 20 million quid he would have to give it serious thought. He helped  us win the title and if he  gets us into the Champions league this season,he doesnt owe us anything. So as much as i would be sad to see him leave i would wish him well.

On 07/09/2019 at 08:51, CyprusFox said:

Kane would never score  most  of the half chances that Vardy does, as he never makes the same runs into space, inviting the pass that leaves  him with just the keeper to beat. If Southgate had ever utilised him as Leicester do, I doubt he would have retired and would certainly have had more impact than his record shows. 

The conversation at The Fighting Cock is about the fact that Kane has peaked and has been played too much especially with a recurring bad ankle.  He brought something completely different to the table from Jamie & Southgate just couldn't work out how to use both. Similar problem at Spurs in that Son is obviously top draw but Poch struggles to bring out the best from them when together.

This is no reflection on the players that have styles don't always jive but some managers (Klopp/Rodgers) seem to be able to work it out.

Abso-fcuk-in-lutely! It's too simplistic to say you have to be a messi or Ronaldo to be world class. Those cats are bigger like inter-stellar class. JV is more in the mold of a player that has achieved incredible feats against incredible odds for a consistent period of time. Pacey strikers in particular have short careers running at max speed every game risking pulled hammeys and torn calves. incredibly JV has managed to stay very fit thanks to looking after himself as well support of one of the best sports physios in the league. We have to ask ourselves have we seen a player of the likes of JV in world football in recent memory? I certainly can't think of one. He's unique like Van Persie is unique or Torres is unique both I would consider world class. Like others have said its a great shame England didnt take full advantage of JV while they had him. Had he gone to the Arses he still would have tore it up. Any decent team home and abroad would benefit if they play to his strengths. Atletico Madrid is a top European team that would easily have absorbed Vardy. In Italy as slow as their game is he would have thrived in a team like Napoli or Lazio that can play quick counter attacks when they want to. Dortmund, Ajax etc etc are other teams. Anyway, I digress. IMHO JV is in a league of his own and he's not done yet! Keep watching....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Col city fan said:

One of the worlds best strikers?

Simple.. yes of course

Of that there is no doubt…

A criteria for what defines world class needs to be agreed and understood before having any meaningful debate…. Otherwise you have this thread…. ‘Yes, is world class’ and ‘No, he’s not but he’s very good’…. Which leads to it all being rather pointless!

top 5 or 10 (pick a reasonably short number) in his position in the world  = yes, he’s probably world class

walks into any club side in the world = JV is very good but not world class

I was was always under the impression that the latter definition was more widely accepted…. I don’t think even those would bluest of blue tinted spectacles would say he fits that criteria…. That’s what Alex Ferguson used when talking about players he had managed who were in that category 

• 4 weeks later...

‘Jamie Vardy is a better striker than Tottenham’s Harry Kane’ – Paul Parker hails Leicester star after he scores in eighth consecutive game

By Joe Moore9th December 2019, 1:15 pm

Harry Kane wears Jamie Vardy pyjamas to bed, according to former Manchester United and England defender Paul Parker.

Parker joined Danny Kelly for the latest edition of talkSPORT’s GameDay podcast to look back over an action-packed weekend in the Premier League.

And the two-time title winner claims the Leicester City ace is a far better striker than the Tottenham frontman after he edged closer to breaking his own top flight record on Sunday.

Vardy continued his superb form for Leicester at Aston Villa on Sunday

AFP OR LICENSORS
Vardy continued his superb form for Leicester at Aston Villa on Sunday

Furthermore, Parker appeared to brand Kane as lazy, despite his own impressive scoring record this season, and also said the England captain is more easily bullied than the Foxes star.

Vardy scored twice as second place Leicester thumped Aston Villa 4-1 at Villa Park to remain second in the table, six points clear of Manchester City and eight adrift of leaders Liverpool.

It was a club-record eighth straight Premier League victory for the flying Foxes, and Vardy has scored in every one; he is now just three games away from equalling his own record of scoring in 11 league matches in a row.

Vardy’s brace also saw him take his tally for the season up to 16 goals and take a five-goal lead in the race for the Golden Boot.

Kane has also been in top form with 25 goals in 26 games for club and country this term, but just nine of those have come in the Premier League for Spurs.

Harry Kane scored twice in Spurs’ 5-0 win over Burnley on Saturday

GETTY IMAGES - GETTY
Harry Kane scored twice in Spurs’ 5-0 win over Burnley on Saturday

And in one of the most common debates in football fandom, Parker told talkSPORT who he’d much rather have in his team given the choice between the goalscorers.

Asked if he regards Vardy as a better striker than Kane, he said: “I do.

“I would rather play with Jamie Vardy in my team than Harry Kane, because I know what I’m getting week-in, week-out.

“When I watch people jog around and not even bother to try and make a tackle and come off the pitch with clean shorts… I’m sorry, call me a dinosaur, but I would rather just play with Vardy.

“Put him up there and you’ll know he’ll make a bad ball into a good ball.

“I’d much rather play against Harry Kane, all day long.

Vardy vs Kane

talkSPORT.com takes a look at how the two strikers compare in the 2019/20 Premier League...

JAMIE VARDY

• Appearances – 16
  • Goals – 16
  • Shots – 41
  • Shots on target – 26
  • Assists – 3
  • Key passes – 11
  • Tackles – 8
  • Clearances – 10
  • Blocks – 2

HARRY KANE

• Appearances – 15
  • Goals – 9
  • Shots – 43
  • Shots on target – 15
  • Assists – 2
  • Key passes – 13
  • Tackles – 7
  • Clearances – 12
  • Blocks – 2

“I’d fancy my chances; every time I’ve seen people try to beat him up, he just accepts it.”

Vardy may be 32, but he’s enjoying perhaps the best form of his career, and Parker says manager Brendan Rodgers is a big reason why.

The Leicester star has scored 25 goals since the Northern Irishman’s first game as manager in March, eight more than any other player in the top flight.

Parker added: “I think he’s working with coach now who has actually been very respectful to him.

“He has said to him: ‘You’re better than just chasing balls over the top like a cocker spaniel chasing a tennis ball’.”

• Like 2

If you were to take vardy and stick him back in non league right now. He would still play the same way.

He is clever and his game is so simple yet not even premier league defences cant handle it.

When you add his pace, passion and roy of the rovers style skills and wind up tactics, he is in a league of his own and no one in football does what he can.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, davieG said:

JAMIE VARDY

• Appearances – 16
  • Goals – 16
  • Shots – 41
  • Shots on target – 26
  • Assists – 3
  • Key passes – 11
  • Tackles – 8
  • Clearances – 10
  • Blocks – 2

HARRY KANE

• Appearances – 15
  • Goals – 9
  • Shots – 43
  • Shots on target – 15
  • Assists – 2
  • Key passes – 13
  • Tackles – 7
  • Clearances – 12
  • Blocks – 2

The stats are clear. Vardy is twice as good as Kane.

• Like 1

Guest An Sionnach

Only two strikers in the world matching Vardy right now , Mbappe and Messi. Knock ten years off his age he would be worth 150 million.

4 hours ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

So if Vardy scores 3 goals in the games against Norwich and Man City, he can score his 11th in a row and his 100th PL goal against Liverpool on Boxing Day :ph34r:

That would be right up his street. Like beating Van Nistelrooy's record v Man U.