Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
The Year Of The Fox

Jamie Vardy- World Class?

33 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

This is the definition of World Class:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

28 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

giphy.gif

Today's was most like his Spurs goal, if you have a gif of that, IMO.

West Brom was sheer world class skill to hit it, first time, weaker foot without looking.

Liverpool he could have taken it on the floor and slipped it past Mingolet but instead he let it bounce then walloped it over him.

Spurs he latched onto a cross in the air, gently controlled the lob to put it over Lloris.

Today he did the same, though he had the time and space to let it bounce a couple of times.

World Class.

• Like 4

By the time he retires - over the course of 10 years at the club he will have scored well over 100 goals for us, won us the league, scored a ton of worldies, and defined the way we play. 

How he fits into the wider picture I’m not really bothered. 

What makes him unique compared to other like Aguero, Kane, Lewandowski, Ronaldo etc is that way that he has defined our entire playstyle. 

I can only really think of Messi who has a similar situation. 

45 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I think he's never had the respect he deserves. He's probably not quite Kane or Aguero but he's a lot nearer to them than people think he is, and he's comfortably better than the likes of Lukaku, Rashford, Giroud and every striker outside of the top clubs.

Of all the ill-informed tripe I’ve heard spouted about our players, hearing Mark Saggers describe Vardy before the 2018 World Cup as “not in Kane or Rashford’s class” is the only thing that has made me shout “what?!” at my TV in disbelief.

Thinking he’s not as good as Harry Kane is fair enough but saying he’s not in the same class as Marcus Rashford is not a reasonable opinion today, let alone 18 months ago. Not to mention Saggers as the presenter deals in facts rather than opinion. He’s mind-blowingly underrated by most “experts”.

33 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think you might be arguing against something I haven't said.

I don't need to have seen Chandler play to say that it's unlikely he was anywhere near as good as Vardy.

Vardy is one of the best strikers in maybe the best league in the world, playing against elite defenders. Chandler would have been scoring against defenders who would have been smoking 20 a day and drinking every evening, playing on a ploughed field. All I'm saying is that it's not very likely he would have been close to Vardy's ability.

no, it’s really a case of you trying to find an argument where there isn’t one to have!

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

Not exaggerating at all! He was unplayable today.

Out of interest what do you think are his best performances?

- Leicester 4-2 Man City. Scores a hat trick and runs Stones ragged all game long in the pouring wet rain.

- Leicester 2-1 Chelsea at home. Scores 1 and gets Mourinho the sack with this relentless running all game long.

- Leicester 2-0 Liverpool. Scores a worldy and grabs another as we continue to march towards the title.

- Man City 1- Leicester 3. Doesn't even score but gets in time and time again against Man City who simply cannot deal with him. Wins the corner from which Fuchs makes it 3-1.

There are plenty more that could be up there, but I genuinely think today was better then some of the above!

I’d throw the 4-1 against Derby the year we got promoted into the mix. 

Easy to dismiss the opposition but Derby were on an excellent run and were the media and self-proclaimed best team in the division.

We battered them and the main reason was Vardy who absolutely humiliated Michael Keane and their other centre back who I’m guessing was Richard Keogh because it’s always Richard Keogh.

4 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I think you might be arguing against something I haven't said.

I don't need to have seen Chandler play to say that it's unlikely he was anywhere near as good as Vardy.

Vardy is one of the best strikers in maybe the best league in the world, playing against elite defenders. Chandler would have been scoring against defenders who would have been smoking 20 a day and drinking every evening, playing on a ploughed field. All I'm saying is that it's not very likely he would have been close to Vardy's ability.

But Chandler did it,in the age & enviroment,you mentioned,ploughed field an' all..!!!  Could Vardy????    .Ditto for still my favourite Player Weller.

Vardy,Mahrez has individuals,and with team, fully earn,for me that Legend Tag..next to Walshie,we have Mr Leicester Tags that Vardy easily fits into.

And for a Winklie seeing many of our top performers,Mr Magics, and wizzards, Vardy I just cant help,but love the guy like Mclintock Weller,Glover,Gibson,Rowley  even the Mighty String,before him....!!!  Then throw in what Kingy,Kante did for the club either for one season,or 15 seasons....!!!

World class!!!  No.!   International famous yes.!!!   Top European Club forward yes..!!  Unique Skill sets ..Yes!!  but again Not World class...!!

Leicester Legend yes!! PL- legend, Let Opposition fans Chose that !!!

Since Weller, my front 6. Vardy Shares my  Mr special accolade,  both Rebels without a cause, and varying  skill-sets for totally different reasons..!!!

Then the Bline players Historically have their own honourable place in My heart.

Don t Take for granted that Today is better than yesteryear!!! It was my generation who fought against the "what in My day". Quotes from Fathers und uncles...

But for the same reasons then,I would also support them against your Wild theories, ....ploughed field n' All....:jump:

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, srex9 said:

I wouldn't put Kane in the same bracket as Aguero. His numbers are ridiculous but he's a pure world class finisher. I'd certainly put Vardy in the same bracket as Kane in terms of what he brings to a team.  

To be honest I wouldn't entirely disagree. Vardy's also less selfish.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Of all the ill-informed tripe I’ve heard spouted about our players, hearing Mark Saggers describe Vardy before the 2018 World Cup as “not in Kane or Rashford’s class” is the only thing that has made me shout “what?!” at my TV in disbelief.

Thinking he’s not as good as Harry Kane is fair enough but saying he’s not in the same class as Marcus Rashford is not a reasonable opinion today, let alone 18 months ago. Not to mention Saggers as the presenter deals in facts rather than opinion. He’s mind-blowingly underrated by most “experts”.

The Rashford thing's always made me laugh. The single best example you will find of bias based on the club they play for rather than how they perform. Vardy outperforms him year in, year out and this one will be no different.

13 minutes ago, ttfn said:

Don t get angry, just realise and acknowledge there are the Football blind & afflicted...:cool:

1 hour ago, Lesterlad said:

He is superb for us. But no he is not world class. 

Strikers like Messi Ronaldo Lewandowski Kane Arguero are world class.  

If he ws playing for Barca etc he wouldn't  be out of place.We are so privileged to have him within our ranks.He is now one of our own!

• Like 1

Invariably football pundits and commentators are either has-beens or ignorant. Vardy just needs to carry on with what he does best, scoring goals. Regardless of what anyone in the media says his first goal today was worthy of the 'Goal of the Month' award if not the season. The fact which is clear for all to see is that Brendan has got him playing to his strengths unlike the buffoon Puel

Edited by David Hankey
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

West Brom was sheer world class skill to hit it, first time, weaker foot without looking.

Liverpool he could have taken it on the floor and slipped it past Mingolet but instead he let it bounce then walloped it over him.

Spurs he latched onto a cross in the air, gently controlled the lob to put it over Lloris.

Today he did the same, though he had the time and space to let it bounce a couple of times.

World Class.

Thanks for posting those. I've watched Leicester since the 70's and I think Vardy is the greatest ever Foxes player. 

1 minute ago, Wortho said:

Thanks for posting those. I've watched Leicester since the 70's and I think Vardy is the greatest ever Foxes player. 

He could well be the "greatest" ever player since the 70's but remember the Club was formed in 1884 and I think looking at the history books there have been greater players, Arthur Rowley & Arthur Chandler are just two, look at their goalscoring records.

5 minutes ago, baldeagle said:

One of the things I love about him apart from being a ruthless goal scorer is the fact he has absolutely no airs and graces and is totally unapologetic about it . Knows his limits and couldn’t care less,  in fact thrives on it . 

But what limits..???   

2 hours ago, Izzy said:

If I take my blue tinted specs off for just a second and was brutally honest, I'd say no, he's not 'world' class.

He's English/PL class without a doubt and would walk into most PL sides I'd have thought.

For me, 'world' class is your likes of Messi & Ronaldo and although I love Vardy more than my wife and kids, he's not in that bracket.

And who is? Probably the 2 greatest footballers of all time.

• Like 1

Where was he until he arrived at Leicester?

Such a shame he missed out as a youngster , I can only think it was something to do with his attitude.

Maybe it was written in the stars, that he was destined for Leicester, and that was the catalyst.

Whatever it was there are not many players that have changed a club like Jamie.

Aguero for Mn city. Cantona for Utd, he is definately up there with  those two.

Obviously the whole what is world class arguement is open to opinions but when people say, somebody who WILL get in anyone's team, that means there can be only 11 world class players at any time... Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar, Kane, Griezmann, Kane, Lewandowksi, Salah, Hazard, Suarez, Aguero, Sterling, Sane etc. All good enough to play for any team but you can't get them all in the same team and obviously some are slightly better than others  Yet, I don't think you'd say they're not world class players (maybe not the last 2 for those picky ones out there :D)

For me, I view it as somebody who COULD play for any top team and not . Subtle difference. Is Vardy at a level that means he could perform for the best teams in the world? Look at his stats. It's a pretty resounding yes and he still scores goals when they're isn't always space in behind. His record against the top 6 is ridiculous as well. Massive shame England couldn't get him and Kane together as that could have been ridiculous.

Definitely World Class. How many better strikers in Europe, let alone the Prem?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

World Class.

You mean this one? :cool:

giphy.gif

Don't have the best quality for this one, which is a shame because this was a top drawer goal.

I remember afterwards it panned to Michael Appleton who could audibly be seen saying "**** me what a goal!" which just made it even better ha ha ha!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, David Hankey said:

He could well be the "greatest" ever player since the 70's but remember the Club was formed in 1884 and I think looking at the history books there have been greater players, Arthur Rowley & Arthur Chandler are just two, look at their goalscoring records.

Yes I respect that, however I am only judging on the years I've watched them. I thought Worthington was superb but Vards is unsurpassable.