Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

15 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

Unpopular opinion: I like Boris Johnson and think he should be left to crack on with Brexit.

He's told us he'd rather be dead in a ditch than crawl to Brussels to ask for an extension.  Supposing his deal doesn't materialise, which is highly likely, what then?  There's murmurs tonight of him stepping down and resigning rather than ask for an extension, backing up my original opinion that he would be the shortest reigning PM of all time.  His hands are well and truly tied, he's backed himself into a corner and he has no powers to turn it around.  He's finished.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wymeswold fox said:

When will we know whether Brexit will be a 'success' or not?

Am personally fearing another recession before is going to happen, due to this vote outcome.

Depends what you define as "success"

I saw some leavers hailing predictions GDP could fall by 5.5% and that unemployment could rise to 7% as a result of a no deal brexit scenario.

"Success" being worse than current figures that are slightly less bad than feared.

Of course these predictions were from the bank of england though and from mark carney, who brexiteers roundly criticise for his shit predictions.

Until he says something they like, like brexit will be slightly less shit than my first prediction you thought was complete shit.

Edited by Donk
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Charl91 said:

Unpopular on this forum, certainly. Maybe not unpopular in general though.

Personally I think that'd be a terrible idea though.

Yeah, I get that. I voted to remain in the EU, but I'm just getting so fed up of living in some limbo like state over fears of how the economy reacts whilst it's already negatively impacting the economy in it's current state.

I work in construction wholesale, and you can see sales are on the decline in the industry due to fears over what might be. In my honest opinion, this whole taking "No Deal" off the table would only hinder our negotiations, the EU don't want a "No Deal" breakaway anymore then we don't want it, as it's just as damaging. So if this is a powerful negotiation tool, is it not worth to keep it on the table as our stick to threaten them for a better deal? Make no mistake, if it were up to the EU, they would parade us around Kings Landing, whipping our naked bodies all the while saying "Shame, Shame"... they would want to make an example of how bad it would be for other countries to leave the EU.

We take "No Deal" off the table, and can only see months and months of extensions and going round in circles rejecting the same deals..... but I'm no politician, which maybe reassuring for everyone to hear.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LiberalFox said:

Current policy is (from the website):

"Break the grip of the criminal gangs and protect young people by introducing a legal, regulated market for cannabis. We would introduce limits on potency and permit cannabis to be sold through licensed outlets to adults over the age of 18."

Not sure what other party's policies are.

Cheers bud.

I remember seeing it on their manifesto in 2017, I’m pretty sure Labour are still pretty backwater on the issue and the Tories I don’t even need to say.

Sensible age-limit, regulated for safety and guaranteed to bring £££ into government hand rather than dealers. Not even worth the ‘but drugs’ argument with blokes who smoke and drink unless they’re part of the New Temperance Movement. Absolute common sense policy constantly derided and limited by the deluded. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

He's told us he'd rather be dead in a ditch than crawl to Brussels to ask for an extension.  Supposing his deal doesn't materialise, which is highly likely, what then?  There's murmurs tonight of him stepping down and resigning rather than ask for an extension, backing up my original opinion that he would be the shortest reigning PM of all time.  His hands are well and truly tied, he's backed himself into a corner and he has no powers to turn it around.  He's finished.

I thought the same. It was so obvious it would end like this, I doubted myself and presumed I'd missed some tactical trick.

He was never meant to lead the UK. He was never talented enough. That's why he couldn't run for the Tory leadership in the past. A dreadful foreign minister, a pantomime dame, no background.in business (expense paid boozy lunches on the spectator doesn't count as business), no financial acumen, no common touch, no gravitas, no statesmanship, shambolic private life.... I could go on and on.

He has achieved something extraordinary though. Managing to make Corbyn look more prime ministerial and less dangerous than his extreme right wing nutcases in office

Edited by Paninistickers
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rusko187 said:

I work in construction wholesale, and you can see sales are on the decline in the industry due to fears over what might be. In my honest opinion, this whole taking "No Deal" off the table would only hinder our negotiations, the EU don't want a "No Deal" breakaway anymore then we don't want it, as it's just as damaging. So if this is a powerful negotiation tool, is it not worth to keep it on the table as our stick to threaten them for a better deal? Make no mistake, if it were up to the EU, they would parade us around Kings Landing, whipping our naked bodies all the while saying "Shame, Shame"... they would want to make an example of how bad it would be for other countries to leave the EU.

I don't agree with that, partly because of what you say at the end, that an unsuccessful Brexit would do serious damage to Eurosceptic parties across the continent. And they will prioritise the integrity of the single market and solidarity for Ireland, particularly because there are many other small countries in the EU that face threats from Russia, for example. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, The Guvnor said:

It has been suggested though if the government refuse to ask for an extension ie Boris resigns and he suggests that the queen asks Corbyn to sign for the extension what Corbyn would then do.

Someone might correct me on this but.....

Couldn't Boris only advise the Queen to appoint Corbyn as PM if he could tell her that Corbyn had the confidence of parliament & could win a confidence vote?

It's by no means clear that's the case as Jo Swinson has said the Lib Dems wouldn't back Corbyn as interim PM.....though she might change her mind if it meant an extension, avoiding No Deal in October.

If not, presumably Boris would have to advise the Queen to appoint someone who COULD win a confidence vote as interim PM....maybe Jeremy Hunt seeking to negotiate a new Brexit deal, or someone like Ken Clarke who might get support across parliament, including the Lib Dems? :dunno:

If Corbyn did become interim PM, I presume he'd go ahead and request an extension and then call an election in November....with Boris still Tory leader, having only resigned as PM & not as party leader? That would be seriously weird....

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Cheers bud.

I remember seeing it on their manifesto in 2017, I’m pretty sure Labour are still pretty backwater on the issue and the Tories I don’t even need to say.

Sensible age-limit, regulated for safety and guaranteed to bring £££ into government hand rather than dealers. Not even worth the ‘but drugs’ argument with blokes who smoke and drink unless they’re part of the New Temperance Movement. Absolute common sense policy constantly derided and limited by the deluded. 

I'm not keen on the 'limits on potency' bit - it kind of defeats the object, imo. People smoke to get high and if that's not happening there will still be a thriving black market.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Buce said:

I'm not keen on the 'limits on potency' bit - it kind of defeats the object, imo. People smoke to get high and if that's not happening there will still be a thriving black market.

Not always good for your career to run around getting high, Buce. Get a few pints down your neck instead, mate! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Buce said:

True, but it’s an important first step that no other party are brave enough to make yet.

30 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Someone might correct me on this but.....

Couldn't Boris only advise the Queen to appoint Corbyn as PM if he could tell her that Corbyn had the confidence of parliament & could win a confidence vote?

It's by no means clear that's the case as Jo Swinson has said the Lib Dems wouldn't back Corbyn as interim PM.....though she might change her mind if it meant an extension, avoiding No Deal in October.

If not, presumably Boris would have to advise the Queen to appoint someone who COULD win a confidence vote as interim PM....maybe Jeremy Hunt seeking to negotiate a new Brexit deal, or someone like Ken Clarke who might get support across parliament, including the Lib Dems? :dunno:

If Corbyn did become interim PM, I presume he'd go ahead and request an extension and then call an election in November....with Boris still Tory leader, having only resigned as PM & not as party leader? That would be seriously weird....

Firstly i can't see boris resigning at all.  He's wanted the job for years. Far more likely that he'd simply put May's withdrawal deal forward for a vote. Particularly given that's he's reported to have threatened the loss of whip to anybody that votes it down if it comes back. It could even get through. 

Lib Dems won't support a corbyn government without a referendum guarantee and even then it might need more.

1 hour ago, Paninistickers said:

I thought the same. It was so obvious it would end like this, I doubted myself and presumed I'd missed some tactical trick.

He was never meant to lead the UK. He was never talented enough. That's why he couldn't run for the Tory leadership in the past. A dreadful foreign minister, a pantomime dame, no background.in business (expense paid boozy lunches on the spectator doesn't count as business), no financial acumen, no common touch, no gravitas, no statesmanship, shambolic private life.... I could go on and on.

He has achieved something though. Managing to make Corbyn look more prime ministerial and less dangerous than his extreme right wing nutcases in office

Shall we put that to a vote.

Oh hang on a minute

26 minutes ago, StanSP said:

In practicality, what does this actually mean please? 

What is to 'be left to crack on with Brexit'? Get a deal which majority of government and presumably the public don't want? Get a no-deal Brexit which fvcks up a lot of industries and companies? 

What's the point in getting a deal just for the sake of it, just because we left someone in charge to 'crack on' with it?

'Here you go, Boris, have a field day, have free reign. You do you, mate!'

Don't mind you liking him - personal preference. I used to like him at times several years ago. Can't stand him now. He just ends up saying the same old crap any other ultra-Brexiteer says. 'Leave means leave, let's get on with it. No more delays. No more dithering. It's time we pushed on together.' Yawn. 

Yawn indeed

9 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

True, but it’s an important first step that no other party are brave enough to make yet.

Tbh, I don't think it is; it's a typical British half-assed compromise. If it's to be legalized people need to be treated as adults and allowed to make an informed choice over what they want to smoke, otherwise they'll just continue to buy it elsewhere.

To put it into perspective, it's like repealing the alcohol prohibition laws they had in the US by just making shandy legal because whisky is too strong.

19 hours ago, Will1981 said:

What a load of utter crap.

we joined the EU in 1975 and have been screwed and bullied by Europe for 44 years.

we were finally given a chance to vote on if we wanted to remain in Europe and the country voted to leave by a huge majority.

so if we leave this year and stay out for 44 years you can then call it 1-1 and we can have another referendum in 2063.

19 hours ago, Footballwipe said:

Absolutely buzzing to see this list. Please tell me, I'm so, so desperate to know. I mean after all, someone making such a claim would have evidence, a list, links and information to back up said statement?

I'll keep an eye out for it :)

Hi there @Will1981, I'm still mad keen to see this list and evidence to back up your claim about Europe "bullying" and "screwing" us. I'm sure you're working on it, so happy to wait. Let me know when it's ready :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

His reception up in Leeds was a disaster and now he's off to Scotland?  lol

Apparently this is an election campaign for one which currently doesn't exist.  Perhaps he'll consider a repeat performance in November when it actually gets going.  That's if he hasn't quit by then.

He'll just go to see the fishermen, they are about the only Scots that will be happy to see him!