Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
smileysharad

Brexit!

14 hours ago, LiberalFox said:

Current policy is (from the website):

"Break the grip of the criminal gangs and protect young people by introducing a legal, regulated market for cannabis. We would introduce limits on potency and permit cannabis to be sold through licensed outlets to adults over the age of 18."

Not sure what other party's policies are.

There isn't any because they've not actually got past the discussing about benefits of smoking pot bit!

11 hours ago, StanSP said:

In practicality, what does this actually mean please? 

What is to 'be left to crack on with Brexit'? Get a deal which majority of government and presumably the public don't want? Get a no-deal Brexit which fvcks up a lot of industries and companies? 

What's the point in getting a deal just for the sake of it, just because we left someone in charge to 'crack on' with it?

'Here you go, Boris, have a field day, have free reign. You do you, mate!'

Don't mind you liking him - personal preference. I used to like him at times several years ago. Can't stand him now. He just ends up saying the same old crap any other ultra-Brexiteer says. 'Leave means leave, let's get on with it. No more delays. No more dithering. It's time we pushed on together.' Yawn. 

More so given the time and opportunity to negotiate a deal, my understanding is that he was prorogue Parliament but would return and still be ample time to debate a deal in Parliament. Not necessarily "just get us out anyway you can sharpish"

32 minutes ago, Tommo220 said:

He'll just go to see the fishermen, they are about the only Scots that will be happy to see him!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/06/brexit-boris-johnson-news-latest-eu-labour-confirms-it-will-not-vote-on-monday-night-for-early-election-live-newsbior

"Boris Johnson has been visiting Peterhead fish market in Scotland this morning".

lol

Wonder if there'll be any photo opportunities involving kippers?

Edited by Alf Bentley
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

More so given the time and opportunity to negotiate a deal, my understanding is that he was prorogue Parliament but would return and still be ample time to debate a deal in Parliament. Not necessarily "just get us out anyway you can sharpish"

So exactly the same as Theresa May wanted which got us nowhere any time soon. 

And, if I'm not mistaken, did Boris not set 31st October as the date he wanted us out? I could be wrong so happy to be proved so. 

If it was the case that 31st Oct was set by him, it's his own fault for giving himself such a short time to get a deal done or negotiate with the rest of the EU. 

Proroguing parliament was a very bad idea. Especially so given the fact he said he wouldn't do it? 

How long do you give him anyway if you were to give him extra time? Another 6 months? A year? It's just cause for more slanging matches in Parliament, more time for 'delays' and the whole irony is that Boris himself doesn't want any further delays yet looks destined to be the case he gets one.

1 hour ago, Alf Bentley said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/06/brexit-boris-johnson-news-latest-eu-labour-confirms-it-will-not-vote-on-monday-night-for-early-election-live-newsbior

"Boris Johnson has been visiting Peterhead fish market in Scotland this morning".

lol

Wonder if there'll be any photo opportunities involving kippers?

the opportunities are Endless! lol

i hope he didnt bore them with his usual Codswallop

hope he wasnt carping on about Brexit

4 hours ago, Buce said:

Tbh, I don't think it is; it's a typical British half-assed compromise. If it's to be legalized people need to be treated as adults and allowed to make an informed choice over what they want to smoke, otherwise they'll just continue to buy it elsewhere.

To put it into perspective, it's like repealing the alcohol prohibition laws they had in the US by just making shandy legal because whisky is too strong.

It's meant to be based on findings from other countries with legalised cannabis markets.

2 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

It's meant to be based on findings from other countries with legalised cannabis markets.

As far as I'm aware there is no such restriction elsewhere.

Unless you know differently?

14 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

But then, within five minutes, the prime minister appealed to the crowd to back him on Brexit, and it was clear in that moment, on that high street, more voters were with him, than against.

And that is the part that should truly worry everyone. I'm for Brexit, always have been, but not in this way. I fear now that the opposition and moderates have now fired their silver bullet, they'll find they are out of ammo should Boris pull off a general election majority. Without the moderates in the tory party (I know there will be some left, even after the deselections, but imo not enough) and a narrow gap of a majority, if shit really hits the fan, there might not be enough opposition to actually offer a way out of it. 

People might think different and think this was the time to strike, but my personal fear is it was shot too early. There will be bigger battles down the road and if things go badly, like the course we're on now, 5 years is a hell of a long time. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

So Boris is now literally using Police officers and not for the right reasons as was agreed... 

Doesn't surprise me at all, so much of what is done is just PR. Trump has done similar with his speeches in the past stood in front of soldiers/police officers etc.

When Gavin Williamson came to my wife's school the other day, he went into one classroom and didn't engage with a single student before having a few photos taken and leaving. A shame really as I could totally imagine reenacting Peter Manion's 'Rajesh Raj' from the Thick of It. 

4 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

So half the number of Police Boris has already promised?  Nice one.

That was from the labour manifesto in 2017 - 2 years before the Tories promised anything.......

which, i would add, was lambasted as being completely unaffordable despite Boris managing to find the cash since he's been in power - funny that.

Edited by Tommo220
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank goodness Emily Thornberry gave some clarification to Jonh Healey's statement  a couple of days ago.

We will negotiate a new deal but won't be campaigning to support it in the PV they are now going to facilitate. Iain Dale was spot on with his response 'Do you realise how ridiculous that sounds to everyone watching this programme,  then went on you think anyone is going to vote for you on that basis, Have you no shame' ? 

Have you any idea how the EU will treat us if you say 'can you give us a nice deal please and then we are going to vote not to have it in the first place'.

You couldn't really make this up, comedy politics that's not remotely funny.

• Like 2

On 05/09/2019 at 12:33, LiberalFox said:

It dawned on me the other day that if we have a general election, I'd like Corbyn to win and I'd like my party to do what they can to moderate a Corbyn led government. 

Remind me. How did your last attempt at "moderating" a leadership turn out? Perhaps you could ask Nick Clegg?

Are you seriously suggesting that a party riddled with innate anti-semitism, replete with entryist agenda, informed by ex-militants, tainted by Trotskyites and directed by the far left - with Momentum pulling the strings in No.10 and a Marxist ensconced next door at number 11, could in any way be "moderated" by the Liberal Democrats? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Buce said:

As far as I'm aware there is no such restriction elsewhere.

Unless you know differently?

I believe Uruguay has very tight restrictions on what is sold legally.  

( I don't want us to replicate Uruguay, I think Canada have the right idea and are run by an actual Liberal government. This Lib Dem policy originates from a 2014 conference motion, there's never any mention of what the restrictions would be. )

Edited by LiberalFox

1 hour ago, Tommo220 said:

That was from the labour manifesto in 2017 - 2 years before the Tories promised anything.......

which, i would add, was lambasted as being completely unaffordable despite Boris managing to find the cash since he's been in power - funny that.

That’s not why it was lambasted, it was mocked because Abbot could not get her figures right and it completely overshadowed the pledge.

11 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Just when you think British politics can't get anymore embarrassing. 

Screenshot_20190906-134334.png

Utterly pathetic.

This makes Trump's witless, asinine, puerile antics on twitter look like the writings of Gore Vidal in comparison. 

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Remind me. How did your last attempt at "moderating" a leadership turn out? Perhaps you could ask Nick Clegg?

Are you seriously suggesting that a party riddled with innate anti-semitism, replete with entryist agenda, informed by ex-militants, tainted by Trotskyites and directed by the far left - with Momentum pulling the strings in No.10 and a Marxist ensconced next door at number 11, could in any way be "moderated" by the Liberal Democrats? 

The coalition didn't work out well for the Liberal Democrats politically (at least not short term) but you could well argue that the coalition government which ran for the full term of 5 years was the most stable recent government we had and more "moderate" than what followed. The Labour party does have a problem with antisemitism but Corbyn himself is not an antisemite. He and McDonnell have a well established position of being well to the left economically, Lib Dems would oppose the more extreme policies.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Buce said:

There were also plenty of people there supporting him, which should be a worry for some.

Anyone see Angela Rayner get into a right muddle when challenged by Andrew Neil last night? He essentially told her straight that she was lying about the corporation tax cuts she was talking about.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

15 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

The Labour party does have a problem with antisemitism but Corbyn himself is not an antisemite. 

And you know this how? Antisemitisim has blighted the labour party during his watch but he's been more preoccupied with presiding over the Blairite witch hunt through deselection and intimidation in addition to perpetrating his own cult of personality that he has in genuinely weeding out and purging the party of these extremist tendencies. 

He and McDonnell have a well established position of being well to the left economically, 

And congratulations to LiberalFox for sending in this week's understatement of the week. 

Lib Dems would oppose the more extreme policies.

Just as you did the rise in tuition fees...oh wait. 

That'll be their entire manifesto then. Good luck with that. 

Edited by Line-X