Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Dirkster the Fox

Dennis Praet

10 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

All 3 have had a number of long term injuries in the past though. I can't even think of a player in our country that this would be on a par with, won their domestic division player of the year and numerous other domestic accolades and trophies and then moved to Serie A where he's been described as one of the best midfielders in the whole league by his manager and yet up until this week had never made a start for his national team?

In midfield, we've had De Bruyne, Witsel, Dembélé, Naingolan, Fellaini, Dufour in the past decade. Since Youri (and Dennis and Leander) started making strides, Dufour had lost the plot, but the other 5 were still very much top players for top teams. When the three of them still played for Anderlecht, we had those guys playing for Tottenham, Man City, Man United, Roma... seriously, no manager in his right mind is going to start playing a bunch of teens from Anderlecht, unless in an exhibition game against Liechtenstein or unless 3 out of those 5 are injured. When they left Anderlecht, they all had their demons to deal with at their clubs, and only recently did Youri (LFC) and Dennis (Sampdoria) really start to shine. But at that time, Belgium were playing with two central midfielders instead of three, with 3 center backs and 2 wing backs, behind 3 attackers. So there was only room for 2 out of De Bruyne, Witsel, Dembélé, Naingolan, Fellaini, Tielemans, Dendoncker & Praet.

Obviously, they weren't getting a lot of time. Vanaken, who is one of the start players that is still playing in the Belgian league and already 27 (i think) just made his debut last week against San Marino. Leandro Trossard hasn't even featured in any game (while he has the talent).

PS: is this topic title a reference to his name? Oh my god... Dennis Praet? As if that's supposed to rhyme? Because it doesn't. It would then be pronounced, Dennis Prot, which would translate into "Dennis Fart". The "ae" in Praet is very much pronounced like "aah". (Just to make sure, that you guys never call him "the prot" when he can hear you).

Edited by Lizhang
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Lizhang said:

In midfield, we've had De Bruyne, Witsel, Dembélé, Naingolan, Fellaini, Dufour in the past decade. Since Youri (and Dennis and Leander) started making strides, Dufour had lost the plot, but the other 5 were still very much top players for top teams. When the three of them still played for Anderlecht, we had those guys playing for Tottenham, Man City, Man United, Roma... seriously, no manager in his right mind is going to start playing a bunch of teens from Anderlecht, unless in an exhibition game against Liechtenstein or unless 3 out of those 5 are injured. When they left Anderlecht, they all had their demons to deal with at their clubs, and only recently did Youri (LFC) and Dennis (Sampdoria) really start to shine. But at that time, Belgium were playing with two central midfielders instead of three, with 3 center backs and 2 wing backs, behind 3 attackers. So there was only room for 2 out of De Bruyne, Witsel, Dembélé, Naingolan, Fellaini, Tielemans, Dendoncker & Praet.

Obviously, they weren't getting a lot of time. Vanaken, who is one of the start players that is still playing in the Belgian league and already 27 (i think) just made his debut last week against San Marino. Leandro Trossard hasn't even featured in any game (while he has the talent).

PS: is this topic title a reference to his name? Oh my god... Dennis Praet? As if that's supposed to rhyme? Because it doesn't. It would then be pronounced, Dennis Prot, which would translate into "Dennis Fart". The "ae" in Praet is very much pronounced like "aah". (Just to make sure, that you guys never call him "the prot" when he can hear you).

Even us dumb english don’t prounouce it as Prot. You will get the occasional Prat though 

• Haha 2

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Even us dumb english don’t prounouce it as Prot. You will get the occasional Prat though 

Right, can we have this out once and for all because the different pronunciations are doing my nut in. When he first came in, people were saying it's pronounced "Prart", like heart with a p. Since then all I've heard is Prat, including from broadcasters that should know, which I feel nasty calling the nice young man. Could any of the more cultured posters clear this up please. 

5 hours ago, Billy Big Balls said:

Right, can we have this out once and for all because the different pronunciations are doing my nut in. When he first came in, people were saying it's pronounced "Prart", like heart with a p. Since then all I've heard is Prat, including from broadcasters that should know, which I feel nasty calling the nice young man. Could any of the more cultured posters clear this up please. 

I'm usually not one for first naming footballers, but Dennis sounds much nicer than Prat to me. Dennis and Ricardo.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lizhang said:

Thanks for that, it just shows the sheer depth of talent your nation has had and continues to have. I think we forget in England that top class national teams don't also have the domestic league reputation, so starring as a youngster in your league won't instantly get a national call up. We've got kids getting senior caps for our nation that are out on loan in the league below or have got a promising reputation just because they are on the books of a top club, it's probably why we continue as a nation to be all piss and wind!

Praet is a proper player anyway, technically very proficient. He won't get the adulation that Tielemans gets but he might well be more valuable to the teams rhythm.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lizhang said:

When they left Anderlecht, they all had their demons to deal with at their clubs, and only recently did Youri (LFC) and Dennis (Sampdoria) really start to shine.

Youri has never played for Liverpool.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

I assumed it was just a typo, Lizhang is usually really knowledgeable 

Eh, it was meant to be tongue-in-cheek but I guess that missed the mark without a ':ph34r:' at the end. Ah well :P

Edited by Xen

16 hours ago, Stadt said:

I assumed it was just a typo, Lizhang is usually really knowledgeable 

Yeah, it was a typo. In fact, my keyboard sometimes doesn't register keystrokes. I was talking about Leicester City ofcourse.

8 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

Correct, it`s Flemish.........i have Flemish friends of many years standing, they all say Praart.

Assuming you don't pronounce the "r" at the end, sure. Sounding like "aah".

He's being adressed first thing in this video. That's how it's pronounced:

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gordon the Great said:

Correct, it`s Flemish.........i have Flemish friends of many years standing, they all say Praart.

Can't we just have Brian Cox make a 3-second Youtube video and put an end to this back and forth?

22 hours ago, Spudulike said:

I really don't care how his name is pronounced. However, Mr Rodgers, you really have to find a way to get him into the starting 11.

Well, he used to be a CAM, who got shoved to the wing at Anderlecht quite often, and was pulled further back as a CM in Italy, playing in a much more defensive role. Maybe the manager is also still figuring out the best way to fit him into the team. Who could/would have to be sacrificed in order for Praet to be in the starting 11? Not a lot of possibilities, i'm guessing.

...it really is not that easy to accommodate him in the team!!!

We have seen Rodgers attempt to shoehorn people into the team, at the detriment of the team itself. The option playing the "diamond" would get him in the team but we are not a good team playing in that format.

A decision will have to be made and Rodgers will have to make the tough call, sooner rather than later. Dropping either Tielemans or Maddison would upset the applecart proving this is not an easy situation to be in. It has been said that he is a superior player to Tilemans and to some degree I could see dropping Tielemans being the path taken and still allowing the team to progress. Funny enough Maddison taken out the team and Tielemans pushed forward,with Praet as a box to box player, gave us our biggest Premiership win...it really is a tough call!!!!

Fact is that we have three cracking centre midfields for the two positions in front of Ndidi. Either one plays out wide, we play a diamond or one of them has to miss out. Unfortunately for Praet he's the one to miss out for now, but he's an excellent option off the bench and will get plenty of starts over the winter and in the cups.

5 minutes ago, Jonaldinho said:

Fact is that we have three cracking centre midfields for the two positions in front of Ndidi. Either one plays out wide, we play a diamond or one of them has to miss out. Unfortunately for Praet he's the one to miss out for now, but he's an excellent option off the bench and will get plenty of starts over the winter and in the cups.

...what do you think of the possibility of him being looked at by other teams!!!

I think he would be a perfect fit for Arsenal, mentally strong midfielder, can put his foot in level headed and appears unassuming. A prime candidate for teams in the prem, a very good "water carrier".