Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

19 minutes ago, shailen said:

Really? He's got three goals and three assists this season which is the same as Ricardo. I get your point about the final ball which certainly can be improved, especially those floated ones he tries all the time. But I love Ricardo and its a similar thing with him, he does so much hard work beating 5/6 people at times and then the final ball is often poor. 

I don’t want to have a go today at Chilwell - I think he did well all alone on the left in the second half.

But really, Ricardo is one of the best full backs in this league and he is so much better. His final ball is also so much better (in fact often top quality), especially his low drills across goal. 

On Chilwell, as one of his biggest critics, I think he did OK today. He was asked to do too much by BR who needs to really sort out his tactics. Chilwell is not a creative left winger and he should not therefore be relied upon by BR as such. He can add to variety to help stretch defences, but if he becomes our sole attacking option on the left, it becomes too predictable and too easy to defend.

Chilwell’s strength is his athleticism getting forward.

But his final ball is so routinely awful that it negates the potential threat posed by getting himself into that forward position.

He’s been far from our worst player since the restart (Vardy and Barnes, for example, have been shockingly bad), but over the whole season he has had far more bad games than good, and I don’t think you could say that of any other regular first-teamer bar perhaps Tielemans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

I don’t want to have a go today at Chilwell - I think he did well all alone on the left in the second half.

But really, Ricardo is one of the best full backs in this league and he is so much better. His final ball is also so much better (in fact often top quality), especially his low drills across goal. 

Ricardo is fantastic but his numbers are not too much different from Chilwell. I do think sometimes because Ricardo's play is more pleasing on the eye, it gets overlooked. The ping across the box always gets the ooo's from the crowd but it's proven equally as effective as Chilwell's lofted crosses based on statistics. 

5 minutes ago, shailen said:

Ricardo is fantastic but his numbers are not too much different from Chilwell. I do think sometimes because Ricardo's play is more pleasing on the eye, it gets overlooked. The ping across the box always gets the ooo's from the crowd but it's proven equally as effective as Chilwell's lofted crosses based on statistics. 

Statistics obviously do not tell the full picture and in fact could be quite misleading.

It is not just about the final stats, but Ricardo’s more threatening crosses, more dangerous runs and better plays make not just better chances but also helps to stretch defences, gives others more space, ping defences back, etc, making us more dominant and ultimately more likely to win games.

To the opposition, they probably want Chilwell to be given just enough space so he can cross all day ... behind the front attacking line or floats over. Much easier to defend than to defend one twos between Maddison, Nachos and Vardy up front. They would rather force us to pass around at the back and then ultimately to Chilwell.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

Probably the best left back we have ever had, came through the youth set up, England’s first choice left back and every game people slate him. And the same people say they would sell him for 80m 😂🤣 if he is that bad give him away lol

Edited by Cecchini1976

27 minutes ago, Cecchini1976 said:

Probably the best left back we have ever had, came through the youth set up, England’s first choice left back and every game people slate him. And the same people say they would sell him for 80m 😂🤣 if he is that bad give him away lol

Couldn’t  lace Mike Whitlows boots! 👀

• Haha 1

What’s the point in carrying the ball well if you ultimately deliver a very poor final ball 9/10 times?  I’ll never forget Matt Elliott summing him up perfectly a few years ago. Split the pitch in 5 and he’s perfect in the middle 3 sections. His problems are in the final section either end. Still stands up today 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Keiriel said:

One of the issues is that Brendan isn't playing to Chilwell's strengths. He's not Ricardo; you won't see him dribbling past players and his crossing is as likely to reach his man as it is to scalp the linesman on the opposite side. He's better off running into space and cutting the ball across the box; the same can be said for Justin.

But his final pass is woeful?

11 hours ago, inckley fox said:

Really? Wow. I'm all for a bit of balance, but come on. As for the chap who suggested he's our best ever left-back, well, if your memory only stretches back a season or two then we can gloss over that particular contribution to the debate. He wasn't our best performer today (not that that would mean much) and if you're being kind to him that's either a case of you comparing his currently substandard displays to the even more substandard displays of some of his team-mates, or to the even more substandard displays that he was putting in before the break.

He's been one of our poorest performers all season (to the extent that the national press clocked on to it about four months ago, even if the guys who watch us twice a season on Sky Sports didn't) and, while not one of the worst since the restart, he hasn't looked any better than a fairly miserable bunch. He surrenders possession too easily, has poor defensive positioning, and his distribution is half-arsed and predictable. And all of this was perfectly visible this evening, irrespective of how poor some of the others were.

Nobody ever looks any good when they share the same flank as him, and yet those same players look like world-beaters when he doesn't play. We've been on relegation form with him in the side since Xmas - and we have a 100% win record without him in the side. So you can believe the hype, or you can believe what you see with your own two eyes. How often do we give the ball to Chilwell and end up in a better situation than when he received it? Look at tonight's game again and ask yourself whether he was a fruitful avenue. I can assure you that, a shimmy or a futile burst down the wing aside, he wasn't.

He has fantastic potential, but I'm increasingly sure that we won't see him fulfil it here. Over the years I've defended many players who have been slated by fans but in his case, I'd like to see more hard work, aggression and commitment before I make the effort. This side - for 6 months now - hasn't been working hard enough, or producing PL-standard quality game-in game-out, and Chilwell has been one of the biggest culprits. So let's not put our necks out trying to defend someone who isn't doing himself any favours.

When? What games?

Barnes offers Chilwell nothing, not the other way around. Barnes often hides and all Chilwell can do is go back. I also recall our best opportunities against Chelsea came through Chilwell's set pieces (both centre backs should have scored).

I agree with UniFox, Chilwell looks better with nobody in front of him. Considering the wingers do fvck all, I'd go with wing backs for the remaining games leaving Chilwell and Justin to bomb up and down.

Chilwell isn't our best ever left back, of course he's not, but he draws criticism when others are just as bad and they don't get it. He's not gonna be complete and be great defensively and great in attack. Just like Justin isn't. Those sort of players play for bigger clubs than us. I don't like the word scapegoat but Chilwell is ours.

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Chilwell seems so effective with the entire wing to himself. Would make sense to utilise that. Using an inverted winger, maybe Perez or Albrighton instead of Barnes. 

I think that’s a really good point and would be definitely worth a try. X 

4 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

I think that’s a really good point and would be definitely worth a try. X 

Minute we took Barnes off Chilwell is taking the man on, even with Gray there he was. Same happens against Watford and we got our goal  

• Like 2

Look, Chilwell has his faults and, like every other player his limitations, but please can we have some perspective. I will be the first to criticise any player who has not put the effort in or played poorly, but this getting to the stage where he seems to be being singled out unfairly for everything that goes wrong. Barnes has been completely absent since the restart, not offering himself by coming inside for a simple ball or quick one two and never tracks back. Chilwell got slated against Chelsea for letting them get a cross in for their goal but he was left isolated against two men. In them situations Barnes should have tracked back or one the CBs come across to cover the spare man. Same against Everton, as has been said, if he had tracked Richarlason the cross would have gone deep to an unmarked Iwobi (who in fairness was Chilwell's man not Richarlason).

Yes, he really does need to work on his right foot which would give him more options. As it is when he is forced inside then he has to turn and play a short sideways or backwards ball as he does not have the confidence to put his right to any great effect. However, how many times does he make a promising run only to look up and find nothing on in front of him? There are aspects of his game that are frustrating and i can see this, especially when he bombs on but then has to check back, but he can only play a pass that is on.

I think that part of the problem is that he was hyped up so much due to the fact we have had so little genuine talent coming through the academy in recent years, the fact that he has not turned into the next Ashley Cole that disappointment is reflected in frustration and hence undue criticism. 

He is not Sh1te, neither is he a world beater, he is a good premier league player and we should temper our expectations accordingly

• Like 1

Another frustrating watch last night!, i'm not here to knock Chilly but last night his decision making was poor. He frustrates me when he goes forward and then just gives up and passes backwards, then doesn't bomb forward when he has 10 yards of space! Also his crosses seem to be to high without anyone to head on to, he's at his best when he gets to the byline and whips a low, fast cross across the box for Vardy to latch onto.

Think he's been one of our better outfield players post-lockdown. Only Schmeichel has been noticeably better.

He's a weird player for people to be projecting their ire at, there's way bigger problems than him - like the entire midfield, wings and forward positions. No wonder he wants to leave.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, FLAN said:

What’s the point in carrying the ball well if you ultimately deliver a very poor final ball 9/10 times?  I’ll never forget Matt Elliott summing him up perfectly a few years ago. Split the pitch in 5 and he’s perfect in the middle 3 sections. His problems are in the final section either end. Still stands up today 

When he's floating balls into the box and there's no one there, that's only partially on him. We get so few players into the box that his statistics will be shocking but in actual fact when you've got a striker whos been on his heels for the last 15 games and no one else attacking crosses - what do you expect?

1 hour ago, daddylonglegs said:

When he's floating balls into the box and there's no one there, that's only partially on him. We get so few players into the box that his statistics will be shocking but in actual fact when you've got a striker whos been on his heels for the last 15 games and no one else attacking crosses - what do you expect?

Don’t disagree about the availability but let’s be honest here his crossing is woeful regardless