Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

7 hours ago, TrentFox said:

Interesting line in the post (mid) pandemic transfer world  with the Citizens only getting  £45m up front for Sane. His contract was low, I believe, but wonder if it’s a sign of things to come. Would We still sell Chilwell if it only generated £40m ??? 🤷‍♂️💋

Sane only had a year left on his contract, 45m is pretty good business for Man City IMO.

I dont have an issue spending time or chatting to friends from other clubs outside of games, but during a game and right before it, they should be focused on themselves and their team, I dont like seeing hugging, friendly chats before KO.  After full time I am ok with it.

About been happy after FT defeat? I dont know, but I feel the way Rodgers manages his team, is he wants a feel good positive vibe, he doesnt want players depressed after a defeat.

Whenever a young player has a 'poor' game etc, in particular Chilwell, why do some supporters often criticise these players - to the extent where they don't believe that they can't improve on the past mistakes that they've made and become a stronger/better player?

• Like 2

Guest An Sionnach

Its the same story all the time , he plays badly or laughs in defeat and he gets murdered on here , his fan club go off and hide. Blows over a bit and out they come again to defend him "he's only a young lad" , " he's England's first choice L.B." etc. etc. This is getting more boring than "The big book of particle physics". He's not really that interesting is Ben our current problems lie elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

Whenever a young player has a 'poor' game etc, in particular Chilwell, why do some supporters often criticise these players - to the extent where they don't believe that they can't improve on the past mistakes that they've made and become a stronger/better player?

Not just the young players either. Everyone will make mistakes, just do not see why people cannot get over it and move on. Any player worth his salt, and their coaches will work on the weaker areas of their game to try and improve. Look at Vardy, totally out of his depth at first (to the point where he almost quit) but he worked hard and improved. Each time we moved up, he struggled at first but each time he eventually bossed it. Chilwell obviously has the potential, and his limitations like any player, but i am sure he works on it and will only get better with time. People expect everyone on the pitch to be the finished article, yet as a full back he is probably 5-6 years from his prime. Things like positional sense, knowing when to simply hold etc comes with experience. Simpson, was a master at simply holding his player up, letting them make the first move and pushing them into a position where he was better able to get a block or tackle in, and Fuchs's positional sense also is, i would say better than Chilwells but these things can be learnt.

I would be far more worried if he was in his late twenties and hadn't learnt from his mistakes. 

I get that not all young players fulfill their early promise and reach a ceiling but Chilwell is already an accomplished player. Its OK saying we should bin him, but who would we realistically replace him with? Decent left sided players are hard to come by.

• Like 2

On 30/06/2020 at 12:12, Stadt said:

He went for £80m because United think spending guarantees good signings. Maguire’s a good centre back with some very strong and very weak characteristics. We sold him and have two better centre backs playing. Kepa went a similar fee and he’s toss - the money involved in a signing isn’t that strong an indicator of quality.

There’s obviously fewer leftbacks out there (only two or three LBs per team and fewer left footed players in general) so the value of average-good leftbacks is inflated. Chilwell is one of the better LBs in the league but that’s a reflection on the league rather than him being a great LB. 

I doubt anybody’s would say Luke Shaw is one of the better fullbacks but he outperforms Chilwell stats wiseD62C233E-8987-412B-944C-944DF6ED5567.thumb.jpeg.71eb47b02c46bfce43a0e930efaea656.jpeg

Chilwell’s tacke/dribbled past % is particularly concerning 

That graph isn't presented very well (not your fault!). Makes it look like he's never dribbled.

If you have a look on whoscored, only Ricardo and TAA are scoring a lot higher than him. In fact, it's Just Robertson and Digne who have a better score at left back. Chilwell is ranked 51st of all players this season which is puts him in the best 2/3 players in any team (on average).

Think context is critically important as he's playing higher up the pitch than most full backs so will be dribbled past more. He's been dribbled past 1 time a game on average which given the above really isn't that much. Considerably more than Luke Shaw's 0.6 granted but his overall score is much higher (and I would say apart from Digne, Robertson and Chilwell, there aren't many better left backs in the league now that he's lost some weight :D).

Ricardo is 5th on the overall rankings and a fair bit ahead of Van Dijk and a long way ahead of TAA. Do you know what his dribbled past stat per game is? 

Almost 4 times Luke Shaw's and twice Chilwell's! Is anybody going to tell me he's a bad defender? 

Stats are useful at a glance but nothing more than that until you start putting context and complex scenarios on top. That's why football clubs pay £100,000's a year to run those departments.

• Like 1

He needs to remember what happened to Drinkwater  when he went to Chelsea and was forgotten in the reserves they totally ruined a decent player and robbed him of his confidence, Chelsea are the mercenary club who seem to buy quality young players and some are Either lost in the loan market or kept in the back almost like buying quality so no other club can have them?

47 minutes ago, dmayne7 said:

That graph isn't presented very well (not your fault!). Makes it look like he's never dribbled.

If you have a look on whoscored, only Ricardo and TAA are scoring a lot higher than him. In fact, it's Just Robertson and Digne who have a better score at left back. Chilwell is ranked 51st of all players this season which is puts him in the best 2/3 players in any team (on average).

Think context is critically important as he's playing higher up the pitch than most full backs so will be dribbled past more. He's been dribbled past 1 time a game on average which given the above really isn't that much. Considerably more than Luke Shaw's 0.6 granted but his overall score is much higher (and I would say apart from Digne, Robertson and Chilwell, there aren't many better left backs in the league now that he's lost some weight :D).

Ricardo is 5th on the overall rankings and a fair bit ahead of Van Dijk and a long way ahead of TAA. Do you know what his dribbled past stat per game is? 

Almost 4 times Luke Shaw's and twice Chilwell's! Is anybody going to tell me he's a bad defender? 

Stats are useful at a glance but nothing more than that until you start putting context and complex scenarios on top. That's why football clubs pay £100,000's a year to run those departments.

Ricardo is in the 98th percentile for tackles won for fullbacks across the the top 5 leagues so when he attempts and wins so many it’s inevitable he’ll be dribbled past reasonably often. Comparatively Chilwell is in the 54th for tackles won and in the 18th for tackles/dribbled past %. The default data from whoscored is on a per game and not p90 basis too which can result in some irregularities. 

The data from Football slices is from https://fbref.com/en/ which is provided by StatsBomb. 

Solely relying on analytics and stats is naive and that’s why you have to marry it up with scouting and using your eyes. From watching Chilwell it’s obvious he’s not a proficient tackler, his starting position is often wrong and he gets beaten on the outside as a result.

I don’t think he’s the world’s worst LB but if we received a massive offer I think we’d be silly to turn it down. I’m not going to profess that I’ve watched Tagliafico or Telles dozens of times but I think both would be an improvement on Chilwell and we’d make a tidy profit too 

If we can get anything over 50 million for him it would be a complete result. Slows everything down, cant beat his man and makes brainless decisions all the time.  I'd honestly rather see Fuchs play in the side. So frustrating. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thought he was one of our better players today. 

Peoples opinions will be swayed on that last 10 minutes when he was our only outlet and didn't produce a moment of quality to result in a goal, but we shouldn't be relying on 1 full back to do this. Where were Vardy, Maddison, Nacho, Perez last 10?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

If you want to see an inept full back at this level, see Justin. Lost the ball pretty much every time and doesn't offer anything. Losing Ricardo and replacing him with Justin is a large reason why we look toothless going forward 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Fox85 said:

One of the best players on the pitch.

Idiots on this forum need to stop slagging him off.

The person responsible for these piss poor performances is BR

He’s inept. Can’t play a simple pass with his right foot and his final ball is abysmal

4 minutes ago, FLAN said:

He’s inept. Can’t play a simple pass with his right foot and his final ball is abysmal

Behave your self, i can think of 6 other players that have been like that since the restart.

Anyone who is slagging off Chilwell for this mess is clueless.

Worse players than Chilwell so far.

VARDY

JJ

TEILEMANS 

ALBRIGHTON

BARNES 

GRAY

Edited by Fox85
  • Like 1

Guest Fktf
9 minutes ago, shailen said:

If you want to see an inept full back at this level, see Justin. Lost the ball pretty much every time and doesn't offer anything. Losing Ricardo and replacing him with Justin is a large reason why we look toothless going forward 

:nigel:a real indictment of our forwards, wingers, and creative mids. Granted Ricardo is awesome going forwards, but if we can't create without him we've got something really, really wrong.