Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
happy85

Ben Chilwell

5 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

Our best player today, how anyone can complain about him today is beyond me and all I can think is it’s become a habit to look for everything he does wrong or they have some sort of agenda against him.

You must be mad,

he gets forward but cannot cross,

slows the game down and takes no responsibility,

simply passes backwards or sideways

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, shailen said:

If you want to see an inept full back at this level, see Justin. Lost the ball pretty much every time and doesn't offer anything. Losing Ricardo and replacing him with Justin is a large reason why we look toothless going forward 

He's clearly not at the level required which is our fault and not his. But can anybody point me to time in these 4 games that he has done anything good with the ball? 

Just now, Fktf said:

:nigel:a real indictment of our forwards, wingers, and creative mids. Granted Ricardo is awesome going forwards, but if we can't create without him we've got something really, really wrong. 

I don't think it's that really. The full backs are so important with the way we play. They offer an outlet as we try and play the possession game with the opposition generally sat deep in their own box and compact to stop the likes of Maddison being able to play through them. Not having a competent full back at this level in Justin has cost us. Not his fault and I know its not easy but imo it's a major reason. 

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

He's clearly not at the level required which is our fault and not his. But can anybody point me to time in these 4 games that he has done anything good with the ball? 

Without doubt, we should have bolstered our squad not to be left in this position. I really can't remember one good moment he has had in the 4 games back. 

3 minutes ago, Les-TA-Jon said:

Can’t see how anyone can watch tonight’s match and come rushing to FT to explain why it was all Chilwell’s fault. Ridiculous. 

Cos every time we've lost in the last 2 and a half years it's been Chilwell's fault. The fans decided they don't like him and that's it, there will be no objectivity or rationalism around anything he does. 

Guest Fktf
3 minutes ago, shailen said:

I don't think it's that really. The full backs are so important with the way we play. They offer an outlet as we try and play the possession game with the opposition generally sat deep in their own box and compact to stop the likes of Maddison being able to play through them. Not having a competent full back at this level in Justin has cost us. Not his fault and I know its not easy but imo it's a major reason. 

And this is my problem with Chilwell. It's funny, most people see Chilwell as an OK defender that's great going forwards. It's the complete opposite for me. 

For all the running he does into good positions in the opposition half, his final delivery is quite often poor. It isn't helped by the fact that he can't beat a man like Ricardo can, so he's left to try and cross to Vardy, who is always going to be out jumped.

For me, this is the reason we need a ulloa like plan b. Someone that can attack the floated crosses we always seems to revert to when a team sits back against us. 

1 minute ago, Fktf said:

And this is my problem with Chilwell. It's funny, most people see Chilwell as an OK defender that's great going forwards. It's the complete opposite for me. 

For all the running he does into good positions in the opposition half, his final delivery is quite often poor. It isn't helped by the fact that he can't beat a man like Ricardo can, so he's left to try and cross to Vardy, who is always going to be out jumped.

For me, this is the reason we need a ulloa like plan b. Someone that can attack the floated crosses we always seems to revert to when a team sits back against us. 

Completely agree. He is pretty poor going forwards, scored a cracker v Watford but only Leicester fans who watch him will know this is 1 in a million for him. He does get into good positions, good speed as well and his stamina is very good for getting up and down the pitch. But actually defensively he is caught out a few times, and attacking wise his final ball and decision making is actually poor - ok. He got into numerous positions tonight before dallying on what to do which costs him and the team. 

• Like 1

One of the issues is that Brendan isn't playing to Chilwell's strengths. He's not Ricardo; you won't see him dribbling past players and his crossing is as likely to reach his man as it is to scalp the linesman on the opposite side. He's better off running into space and cutting the ball across the box; the same can be said for Justin.

Chilwell was OK today. As a LB, he did what he needed to do and gave us an option on the left after BR took Barnes out.

I agree if we need to blame one person today it is BR for getting his tactics wrong.

Time to try 3 at the back instead of 4 and allow us to rely less on Chilwell on the left when he is not the best of passers or crossers. He can do a job on the odd occasion to do his bursting runs to give us variety, BUT not to be relied on to be our sole attacking option on the left as it is too predictable and offers generally no end product.  We are too predictable on the left!!

3 minutes ago, Fktf said:

Really? He's got three goals and three assists this season which is the same as Ricardo. I get your point about the final ball which certainly can be improved, especially those floated ones he tries all the time. But I love Ricardo and its a similar thing with him, he does so much hard work beating 5/6 people at times and then the final ball is often poor. 

I actually cannot believe people are yet again having a pop at him! He has been one of the best players back since the restart and works his socks off every game and Barnes does nothing to help him so he has to run continually for 90 minutes defending and attacking. He has the whole left side to work on his own. He clearly has worked on his defence and made a great tackle which would not have happened a few months back. Is the Barnes, Vardy, JJ etc.  thread being hammered now? No! Always Chilly! Ridiculous! I think maybe Fuchs needs to start to cover for Ben in defence and drop Barnes and get Chilly to run down the wing. He cannot keep doing it all down that left side. Barnes needs benching.

1 minute ago, kingfox said:

“One of the best players on the pitch today”.

“Our best player today”.

WTF were people watching lol 

I can agree that he was isolated on the left but I’m still not going to defend him, he was partly to blame for their first goal, his crossing was poor again and he played too many backwards and sideways passes...again.

Only player who deserves credit today is Iheanacho, the rest ranged from average to poor.

Chilwell’s man on the first goal is Iwobi. But he has to cover for two players because Evans went walkies

Guest Fktf
1 minute ago, shailen said:

Really? He's got three goals and three assists this season which is the same as Ricardo. I get your point about the final ball which certainly can be improved, especially those floated ones he tries all the time. But I love Ricardo and its a similar thing with him, he does so much hard work beating 5/6 people at times and then the final ball is often poor. 

Perhaps it's a frustration thing then. He's got the engine to get up and down that line all game, and he's so often in a really good position that comes to nothing due to his final ball. 

I’m not his number 1 fan but he’s getting the ball in the opposition half way too often as there’s nobody with space in the middle. He’s dangerous when we’ve got the ball in the middle and Ben is making that run in behind his opposite number. BR fix it please.

6 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Chilwell’s man on the first goal is Iwobi. But he has to cover for two players because Evans went walkies

Richarlison was the closest player to him in that move. Chilwell didn’t spot the danger, let him get a free run in front of him, bang 1-0.

3 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Richarlison was the closest player to him in that move. Chilwell didn’t spot the danger, let him get a free run in front of him, bang 1-0.

He’s stuck on either option. He either anticipates a cross to the back post for Iwobi to come around the back or the cut back to Richarlison. He goes Richarlison to mark, the cross goes back post for incoming Iwobi. 

As I said Evans is out of position caused overload 

You’re all gonna chase him out of the club just like West Ham did with Lampard. Sometimes you don’t know what you’ve got. Chilwell has been one of our better players since these games restarted.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

I can't believe how much he splits opinion. Doesn't seem to be much middle ground from our fans. 

I genuinely cannot believe people rate him. I can't get over it. 

I'm firmly middle ground, he's a decent young player, okay defensively, great stamina, good at running forwards with the ball but no composure when he actually has to do anything in the final third. He gets undeserved criticism, but the fact he's England's left back says more about England's options than it does him. 

Edited by shade
  • Like 1