Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
somebum

PS5

On 22/10/2020 at 11:13, moore_94 said:

So Currys have gone an interesting way to pay for my pre-order...

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/gaming/console-gaming/consoles/sony-playstation-5-825-gb-10203370-pdt.html?srcid=8324&cmpid=empartner~SER~Adobe~PS5fulfillment~20201022

The PS5 is listed for £2,449.00, and they then give you a voucher for £2,005.00 so it still comes out at the RRP minus the £5 deposit

It ends up coming out looking like this

PS5.png

Very strange way to do it, but at least my PS5 is now fully paid!

I went this route. Very odd. Checked my bank account like crazy for the next week though. lol

seeing you won’t be able to upgrade the storage straight off the bat seems like an odd way to go about things... apparently an update will drop in the future that will enable it! The fact that black ops and miles morales ultimate will take up nearly 250gb of the 660gb available I can see the storage soon disappearing

(not a huge problem to be fair as by the time my ps5 will come close to being full I imagine the update will have dropped would’ve just been a nice thing to get sorted early doors lol)

51 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.gamesradar.com/ps5-1440p-resolution-support-doesnt-exist/

'PS5 1440p resolution support doesn't exist'

May be of an interest to someone, but not to most.

Funny you should say that - I cancelled my pre-order today for that very reason!

I'll pick one up when they can be arsed to add 1440p support or I've got the money/space for a decent 4k TV - hopefully by that point there'll be a few more games worth buying for it as well.

8 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Is there any point in getting a PS5 if my TV is around 6 years old? Its a Sony Bravia HD, games still look good in it to me but the PS4 struggles and is very loud nowadays.

I wouldn't get too deterred by the 4K hype.  Even a normal 1080p TV will benefit from the PS5 as it'll be running games at a solid 60FPS which most current gen games fail to do.  Never forget what these things are for, playing good games.  To go out on a limb, I've played significantly more on my Switch than my xbox one or PS4 as the games are superb and that is the most inferior bit of hardware.

The PS5 has some outstanding games coming out soon and the additional features on the controllers (see Astro's Playroom being the tech demo) look great.  Only you can answer if it's worth it or not.  This generation (for MS and Sony) is a weird one as the majority of games work on this and the previous gen consoles.  Only you know if the additional horsepower of these consoles is worth your money.

9 hours ago, Blue and white said:

Is there any point in getting a PS5 if my TV is around 6 years old? Its a Sony Bravia HD, games still look good in it to me but the PS4 struggles and is very loud nowadays.

I have my 4k monitor now and its a significant improvement on my smaller 1080p TV.  Looks superb.

So does this...

In 12 days...!  :thumbup:

22 hours ago, Zear0 said:

This generation (for MS and Sony) is a weird one as the majority of games work on this and the previous gen consoles.

This is true, although I suppose more and more this generation and last, consoles are essentially computers now* and I'd guess it's much easier for developers to make games for the next-gen consoles, and limit texture/screen resolution/frame rate/particle/ray-tracing effects etc on the outgoing consoles. Rather than having to make 2 completely different ports, as you would typically have seen in the transition of PS2 - PS3 for example, as the hardware so was completely different. You'd have the "proper" game on PS3, and a shit port chucked together from some no-mark developer handle the PS2 version

I imagine a lot of games scheduled for release after next year will purely be built with PS5/XSX/XSS in mind, and we'll start to see the phasing out of the current gen like in previous generations

*I'm aware all consoles have always technically been computers of sorts, but the make up the internals share a lot more in common with a typical desktop computer than the olden days

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Julian Joachim Jr Shabadoo said:

This is true, although I suppose more and more this generation and last, consoles are essentially computers now* and I'd guess it's much easier for developers to make games for the next-gen consoles, and limit texture/screen resolution/frame rate/particle/ray-tracing effects etc on the outgoing consoles. Rather than having to make 2 completely different ports, as you would typically have seen in the transition of PS2 - PS3 for example, as the hardware so was completely different. You'd have the "proper" game on PS3, and a shit port chucked together from some no-mark developer handle the PS2 version

I imagine a lot of games scheduled for release after next year will purely be built with PS5/XSX/XSS in mind, and we'll start to see the phasing out of the current gen like in previous generations

*I'm aware all consoles have always technically been computers of sorts, but the make up the internals share a lot more in common with a typical desktop computer than the olden days

I think my experience with the absolute turd that is Watch Dogs Legions (it was free with my graphics cards) suggests it won't be long before they abandon current gen! 

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Is it that bad?  What's up with it?  I will likely get it when it's cheap.

So my main gripe is that this is starting to feel like a very tired format. Assassins Creed Origins and Oddysey added so many little things that despite being the same Ubisoft formula, they were great fun to play. This feels more like those awful Tom Clancy games they did (Wildlands etc) and Far Cry 5. It's the usual go to this zone and do the mini missions and take over. That would be fine if there was a mild interesting story behind it but, my opinion, is that this story is extremely dull. I think the fact you don't have a character is what makes the story aspect so tepid. It's nice to flick between civvies, but doesn't give you anything to follow. 

Performance. It runs like an absolute pig. I'm running a RTX 3080 which is extremely powerful, but I'm getting 40fps tops at 1440p which is unacceptable! Hopefully this is something that can fix. 

And don't get me started on the voice acting. I only managed 10 hours before giving up as I wasn't really enjoying it. Most reviews I've seen provide far more examples of why this isn't great. 

I didn't even pay for it and I still feel short changed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Comparison of loading times, only a few seconds in it really, both look at lot quicker than the current gen.

Posted this in the Xbox thread. Crazy that the PS5 SSD is twice as fast on paper yet coming out slower than Xbox. Of course the real test will be when the proper next gen games come and given PlayStation smashed it on the exclusives and Xbox is developing for Cross gen, you'd expect to see some amazing stuff on PS5.

As you said though, bottom line is that these machines finally bring consoles up to PC speeds and certain games will be so much more fun to play.

17 hours ago, Zear0 said:

So my main gripe is that this is starting to feel like a very tired format. Assassins Creed Origins and Oddysey added so many little things that despite being the same Ubisoft formula, they were great fun to play. This feels more like those awful Tom Clancy games they did (Wildlands etc) and Far Cry 5. It's the usual go to this zone and do the mini missions and take over. That would be fine if there was a mild interesting story behind it but, my opinion, is that this story is extremely dull. I think the fact you don't have a character is what makes the story aspect so tepid. It's nice to flick between civvies, but doesn't give you anything to follow. 

Performance. It runs like an absolute pig. I'm running a RTX 3080 which is extremely powerful, but I'm getting 40fps tops at 1440p which is unacceptable! Hopefully this is something that can fix. 

And don't get me started on the voice acting. I only managed 10 hours before giving up as I wasn't really enjoying it. Most reviews I've seen provide far more examples of why this isn't great. 

I didn't even pay for it and I still feel short changed.

I played the first Watch Dogs and hated it. So clunky in the gameplay and the movement was shocking. I'm glad I haven't persevered with it as it looks like it is still a terrible game series.

17 hours ago, dmayne7 said:

Posted this in the Xbox thread. Crazy that the PS5 SSD is twice as fast on paper yet coming out slower than Xbox. Of course the real test will be when the proper next gen games come and given PlayStation smashed it on the exclusives and Xbox is developing for Cross gen, you'd expect to see some amazing stuff on PS5.

As you said though, bottom line is that these machines finally bring consoles up to PC speeds and certain games will be so much more fun to play.

It's something to do with the backwards compatibility and how it uses more CPU etc rather then just the SSD i've read. If you look at Rachet and Clank or Demon Souls they do load up pretty quick. 

34 minutes ago, Christoph said:

It's something to do with the backwards compatibility and how it uses more CPU etc rather then just the SSD i've read. If you look at Rachet and Clank or Demon Souls they do load up pretty quick. 

That makes sense then. For now, it'll just be great on both but in a few years time you might get games that load a minute or more faster than Xbox and that will make a big difference.

Still undecided as to what game to get on launch. Valhalla looks beautiful but I got bored of assassins creed games about three games ago. Watchdogs the idea of exploring a real life city sounds good but by all accounts the games crap. Cyberpunk should be awesome but still a few weeks to go. I always play Fifa but I don’t want to install it to have to reinstall it in two weeks. Which leaves Miles Morales which is so far the only one I can’t find a reason not to buy. 

Just now, howlinmadmurfdoc said:

Still undecided as to what game to get on launch. Valhalla looks beautiful but I got bored of assassins creed games about three games ago. Watchdogs the idea of exploring a real life city sounds good but by all accounts the games crap. Cyberpunk should be awesome but still a few weeks to go. I always play Fifa but I don’t want to install it to have to reinstall it in two weeks. Which leaves Miles Morales which is so far the only one I can’t find a reason not to buy. 

I'm getting Valhalla (for my Xbox SX) which should keep me ticking until Cyber Punk comes out. Although I suspect I wont be able to clock Valhalla in time for Cyberpunk as it sounds like its at least 50+ hours. 

For PS5 Spiderman Miles looks worth a pop but only 10 hours long although I'm ok with a shorter game.  Demon Souls is a must buy in my opinion. But I understand that is not a game for everyone and can be quite unforgiving to new players. The plus side is people can join your game and help you out which makes a significant difference.