Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Vardy and England

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50340547

Jamie Vardy: England boss Gareth Southgate monitoring Premier League top scorer

• 3 hours ago
  • From the sectionEngland
Sharethis page
Jamie Vardy
Vardy's goals-per-minute record (one every 99 mins) in the Premier League is better under Brendan Rodgers than any other Foxes manager, including Leicester's title-winning boss Claudio Ranieri (one every 167 mins)

Gareth Southgate says he is prepared to consider recalling striker Jamie Vardy to the England squad but does not feel now is the right time to include the Premier League's top scorer.

Vardy, 32, effectively retired from international duty in August 2018 to focus on club football with Leicester.

He is top scorer in the Premier League with 10 goals but Southgate says he wants to give younger players a chance at the moment.

"We know his quality," says Southgate.

"I have always left that opportunity open. I don't see the point at this moment in time because the conversation I had with Jamie was around looking at younger players in that position.

"It isn't one for now but we keep monitoring that because you have a ready-made experienced player who could come in if we felt that was the right thing."

Tottenham's Harry Kane is England first-choice striker at the moment with Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford and Chelsea's Tammy Abraham acting as back-up.

If was Jamie Vardy i would be tempted to tell Southgate to shove it if he did ask him after the way he was treated. I know Vardy left the door ajar by saying that he would consider it if they (england) were stuck due to injuries or some such but nobody blamed him for his decision. It must be akin to what Maddison is feeling but even harder to take as he is at the opposite end of his career and has a young family to think about. Being the type of guy he is though I think he probably would go if he got the call, and i hope that it would only come if he was nailed on to start

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, treer said:

this is what you have to put up with Southgate, he thinks Rashford s better than Abraham

His Level is Championship  manager.

And that is high as he could be.

Never rated Southgate, he has rode his luck, fortunate to have some good young talent, he makes poor decisions with average technical understanding. Not even Championship, Div 1 at best.

• Like 1

Vardy never gets the ball when he plays for England especially now that Kane is captain. if Kane and Vardy are up front then most certain Kane won't pass to Vardy plus the rest of the team won't provide Vardy with service either. Kane likes to be the one claims all the glory and at times back when Vardy was part of the England setup you could certainly tell the pair never seemed eye to eye. 

1 minute ago, urban fox said:

it is the same old disease of favoritism that England have suffered from fro years. Just like when Vardy was on fire and by far and away the hottest in form striker in the country he was ignored in favour of Rooney and Kane. Ditto with Drinkwater. The decision to leave him out and take Wheelchair was a disgrace. Abrahams is joint second scorer in the PL and playing the best football of his career yet Rashford is still ahead of him in the pecking order.If this blatant bias continues  I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of talented players suddenly start to discover that they Irish/african/european or whatever ancestors and tell England and the FA to do one

Albrighton and Simpson could come under that category too I mean going back to Euro 2016, the year we won the premier league only one English player from our squad got selected for that tournament! 

• Like 1

If you don’t have an exciting striker that can score goals from nothing but his own ability, you’re not going to win a tournament. It showed in the last one, first decent side we came up against, we couldn’t hack it. It needs an unpredictable goal scorer, which Kane isn’t. Sterling is, vardy is, but Kane isn’t.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Vardy never gets the ball when he plays for England especially now that Kane is captain. if Kane and Vardy are up front then most certain Kane won't pass to Vardy plus the rest of the team won't provide Vardy with service either. Kane likes to be the one claims all the glory and at times back when Vardy was part of the England setup you could certainly tell the pair never seemed eye to eye. 

Disagree with the second part. If you remember the Columbia game when Vardy game on, Kane dropped back and was playing balls forward in an attempt to find him.

It was too late in the game though. 

I think the two CAN play together, the issue is with the manager who can't facilitate it. One dimensional tactics means there's only one spot and the Captain has to play so it's Kane.

Edited by TK95
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, treer said:

The thing is if Spain Germany or whoever, had two young players like Maddison and Grealish they would build the the team around them.

Southgate has not capped Maddison, and not even included Grealish in the squad.

But i suupose we will beat Kosovo and Montenegro, and the papers will say how great we are.

It's even more irritating in friendlies where he doesn't shake it up and experiment. Literally nothing riding on the game at all so give players a chance to prove themselves.

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Same problem as Spurs have with Kane. When Kane plays, Son becomes less effective and the whole team suffers as Kane becomes a bit of the bottleneck and slows down play. It is clear Vardy was frustrated with Southgate and why be called only to sit on the bench as Southgate will always play Kane first. This is unlikely to change. This claim of giving young players a chance is just an excuse - it is top class international football - you play on merits and there is no time to waste. Plus, Vardy is still playing like a 27 year old anyway! Though by the same

token, even if you have been capped 100 times, but if you are getting old and cant play as well as the young players, then indeed the young players should be given a chance.

Edited by Tom12345
  • Like 1

This whole youth thing to me is meh.

Take the best players available. Not the popular ones or those who play for popular clubs.

Aint shit coming home until we change our  biased team selections. I also dont think any one player should be permanent England captain. 

• Like 4

If Kane is injured for the Euro's, and Southgate apologises for not understanding the god-like genius of JV on national tv, and guarantees he will begin the tournament as the starting No9, I would think JV would do the decent thing... and say sod off Gareth, you've had your chance.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, treer said:

The thing is if Spain Germany or whoever, had two young players like Maddison and Grealish they would build the the team around them.

Southgate has not capped Maddison, and not even included Grealish in the squad.

But i suupose we will beat Kosovo and Montenegro, and the papers will say how great we are.

Let’s be honest though, the talent pool for flair players in Germany and Spain is so deep that Madders and Graelish would struggle to make the bench, never mind have the team built around them.  Theyre both fine footballers but let’s not get carried away.

The reality of course is that England is not Spain or Germany, and it’s rather ridiculous that Maddison hasn’t gotten a shot to play given what’s in front of him.

Edited by Deeg67

7 hours ago, Leicesterpool said:

Vardy never gets the ball when he plays for Leicester. Still manages to average near a goal a game.