Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Vardy and England

Southgate totally mismanaged the Vardy situation, he should have shown some love and fought to keep Jamie involved

Kane has always been liable to a niggling injury and even when fit we can't rely on the ball continually hitting his backside to score

I think this may come back and bite Southgate in the arse 

Guest An Sionnach
18 minutes ago, Cjt1976 said:

Why would he want to play for Southgate he will end up out on the wing again playing second fiddle to golden boy Kane would rather him just focus on firing us into Europe

Just like Drinkwater as soon as he was picked for England his form went down , Chilwell has also been up and down and that's why I worry about Maddison . The list of players who get picked for England and then lose form is as long as my arm . It seems like a f**king curse.

Edited by An Sionnach

If there's one position England have absolutely no trouble filling it's forwards. Between Kane, Sterling, Sancho, Abraham, Rashford, etc. there's literally no need to call Vardy up.

I can guarantee what happened here is a journalist asked Southgate about Vards given he's the league's top scorer and Southgate just gave a diplomatic answer and not completely burning the Vardy bridge - just in case. Silly topic.

• Like 2

People seem to be missing that in the interim since Euro 2018, Vardy's game has changed. He never fit into the England system in the past playing exclusively as an off-the-shoulder striker, because the team wasn't set up to counter-attack, so Hodgson and later Southgate stuck him on the wing... not because wing play is a strength of Jamie's game, but because A) Kane was undroppable at that point and B) "because pace". Yet in spite of that he did score goals when he was actually allowed to come in off the wing and get in the box (Germany and Wales in the last Euros spring to mind).

Honestly, the way Brendan has tweaked his role makes him a far better fit nowadays.

That said, I wouldn't want him rejoining the Three Lions unless he knew he was going to be played in the middle. Vardy is so effective now because, in his own words, Rodgers has instructed him to sit central and wait for the play to come to him.

Edited by OntarioFox

14 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Vardy samshes the winner against France in the final at Wembley before donning a beret and string of onions and flapping his arms like a cockerel on peds in front of their fans...

Surely its.....lol

I find it bizarre that Kane plays so much for England. We don't need him to beat anybody in qualifying, Abraham, Rashford and Wilson are all more than capable. Kane's got a history of injuries and being rushed back from them. What's appealing for Vardy in playing for about 80 minutes across two games? 

Abraham will outscore Kane this season and we'll have an 75% fit Kane cutting about in Baku and Bilbao in 2020; Southgate was once breath of fresh air and now has reverted to England manager type.

8 hours ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

Hope JV bags 25 goals this season and the press demand Gareth select him for Euros. Stubborn numpty refuses and Eng inevitably fail as always. Gareth will then get hounded out like the clueless fool he is. 

I wouldn't want Jamie to go, unless Kane has done his cruciate. It would be frustration all over again.

Personally want us to win the cup regardless of what team is picked but you do you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dorkingfox said:

Now the hype has died away we are getting the true Southgate.

He is very underwhelming to say the least. His team selection is all over the place and I question some of his comments to the press.

In over his head for me.

England and The FA wasted their chances when they had them.

They didn't and won't use him to their strengths anyway.

Watching Vardy for England (Admittedly under Woy) was like watching Vardy for Leicester under Puel, that didn't work either, funny that.

On 07/11/2019 at 23:41, urban.spaceman said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/50340547

Jamie Vardy: England boss Gareth Southgate monitoring Premier League top scorer

• 3 hours ago
  • From the sectionEngland
Sharethis page
Jamie Vardy
Vardy's goals-per-minute record (one every 99 mins) in the Premier League is better under Brendan Rodgers than any other Foxes manager, including Leicester's title-winning boss Claudio Ranieri (one every 167 mins)

Gareth Southgate says he is prepared to consider recalling striker Jamie Vardy to the England squad but does not feel now is the right time to include the Premier League's top scorer.

Vardy, 32, effectively retired from international duty in August 2018 to focus on club football with Leicester.

He is top scorer in the Premier League with 10 goals but Southgate says he wants to give younger players a chance at the moment.

"We know his quality," says Southgate.

"I have always left that opportunity open. I don't see the point at this moment in time because the conversation I had with Jamie was around looking at younger players in that position.

"It isn't one for now but we keep monitoring that because you have a ready-made experienced player who could come in if we felt that was the right thing."

Tottenham's Harry Kane is England first-choice striker at the moment with Manchester United forward Marcus Rashford and Chelsea's Tammy Abraham acting as back-up.

Edited by Oadby Fox

I think England is a bit like Arsenal for Vardy in that they are never going to play a style of football that suits him, or at least that they think will suit him - as Rodgers has shown that Vardy is more adaptable than people give him credit for. They seem to think Vardy is just pace and selfishness, but he is quite the reverse - he works hard for his team. England have wasted Vardy, but don't clamour for them to call he back up, it suits us just fine to keep him at home.