Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Hack

The top 4.

12 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

MotD in 20 years time...

Jamie Vardy (MotD's presenter in 2039): "Tonight we have all the big games featuring the top 6 and Leicester."

Trav, How would it be possible for Vardy to host MOTD? he will still be playing, scoring for fun and taking the piss

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

Also what I have observed is refereeing, how often do you hear fans of promoted clubs and even the mid table clubs complaining of unfavourable refereeing when against the big clubs, is everyone just imagining it, or is it actually a thing? 

David Ornstein had this in his weekly column a month ago (apologies if already shared):

The decision to introduce {VAR] was made by all 20 member clubs in a unanimous vote. However, The Athletic has learnt that in meetings preceding the decisive ballot, much of the current discord was predicted. Certain executives alerted those who were pushing hardest for VAR that if anyone would end up complaining about the technology it was likely to be them.

It is understood the strongest support for the proposals came from clubs towards the top of the table and that a number of their contemporaries at so-called “smaller” sides urged caution. A source explained: “When this was voted on, the big clubs were convinced that VAR would benefit them because of the ‘injustices’ they suffer, but it’s nothing compared to the injustices the smaller teams have suffered for years against those sides, especially at their grounds.

“In the meetings prior, the smaller clubs couldn’t understand why these guys were so adamant VAR would favour them. They told them clearly. It’s just someone else, sat in front of TV screens, reviewing the decisions. Surely they realised there would be calls they wouldn’t agree with?

“The problem is people only focus on the decisions that go against them and not the decisions that go for them. The smaller teams rarely used to get decisions against the big teams, who were used to things going their way, so if VAR is going to favour anyone it’s the smaller teams. If bigger teams score more goals and there’s more reason to have a goal chalked off than allow one that has already been chalked off, bigger teams will obviously have more complaints.”

• Haha 2

On 27/11/2019 at 19:04, Chrysalis said:

Its surprising how few people have worked this out.

So the TV deal gets made, and its of course got to benefit both parties, the clubs and the media.

Ultimately the driver of any deal is the biggest top division clubs, the likes of liverpool, man utd, arsenal and co.  However to keep the smaller clubs on side a reasonable spread of money is agreed.  But to ensure that those biggest clubs get more money and also to keep hype up for them, they have more games aired, and more news coverage.  There is likely backroom deals to facilitate this in regards to stories, regarding player transfers, hype, predictions etc.

Also what I have observed is refereeing, how often do you hear fans of promoted clubs and even the mid table clubs complaining of unfavourable refereeing when against the big clubs, is everyone just imagining it, or is it actually a thing?  Well what really made me think about this more is our title winning season, in the second half of that season we started getting a lot of 50/50 calls in our favour, enough even to the point the press started talking about it.  Since then and especially since we appointed Brendan, We seem to be treated favourably by ref's vs the likes of Burnley, but still not so much vs the likes of Liverpool.    It is interesting, but essentially the game is unscripted, but there is leaning from various sides to try and manipulate a end story.

One wonders e.g. what would happen if someone like Manchester United were to get relegated.  I remember a season when Newcastle went down the refereeing was diabolical in many games for them, I think it goes without saying it would be the same, but also what would happen in terms of TV.

SSN used to be not that bad but in recent years its become very pro big 6.  BT sport very rarely show mid table or relegation clashes.

MOTD usually has longer coverage for the bigger teams.  I am pretty sure their coverage is actually handed to them pre edited to use and not edited by themselves, instead they just provide their own commentary overlay.

At times I think the media has been very disrespectful to clubs outside the big 6 e.g. when Kante moved to Chelsea it was all about Chelsea, and nothing about Leicester.

However I think the EPL was happy we won the league, it was good promotion and they can say its open for anyone to win, however they wouldn't want us winning it regularly.  I think they want Liverpool to win it now tho, its the biggest club in the country without an EPL title, I expect a lot of sky's sub's are from Liverpool, and its just something in general that's seen as long overdue.  The VAR decisions they have had in favour have been considerably fortunate, whilst ironically at the same time Man City have had the worst VAR decisions in the league.

Really good points.

Ferguson's dominance at Man United is another big example. I can't remember the exact stat but i believe I'm right in saying there wasn't an opposition penalty for a gap of about 3 years at Old Trafford in the 90s. The amount of bullying and intimidation towards officials by them was worth 10-15 points a season easily. 

The point about us winning the league is very true. It was great for the brand for it they've shit themselves at the prospect of genuine competition being put on that top 6 on a regular basis - which is what i was emphasising in previous posts. This is a top 6 with huge power now and they can keep threatening those breakaway European leagues when it isnt going their way. They dont see this as a competition, they see it as their brand being worth the most to the Premier League's brand and theyll pick up the ball and go. 

Michael Lewis has a great podcast called against the rules where the first episode is about basketball referees in the age of their equivalent of VaR.

Mostly it is big clubs and star players complaining because they don’t get the calls they used to and the death of home advantage.

VaR should balance things out for the smaller clubs

On 30/11/2019 at 00:26, Gamble92 said:

Really good points.

Ferguson's dominance at Man United is another big example. I can't remember the exact stat but i believe I'm right in saying there wasn't an opposition penalty for a gap of about 3 years at Old Trafford in the 90s. The amount of bullying and intimidation towards officials by them was worth 10-15 points a season easily. 

And when we got a pen, ref whistled for it to be taken, goalie went on walkabout and Muzzie stroked it into an empty net. Ref feared for his life and ordered it to be retaken; Muzzie missed it.

Some events never leave the memory. No wonder we feel so aggrieved at advantages still given to the privileged clubs.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Finn Claw II said:

Michael Lewis has a great podcast called against the rules where the first episode is about basketball referees in the age of their equivalent of VaR.

Mostly it is big clubs and star players complaining because they don’t get the calls they used to and the death of home advantage.

Really recommended listening. 

20 hours ago, deep blue said:

And when we got a pen, ref whistled for it to be taken, goalie went on walkabout and Muzzie stroked it into an empty net. Ref feared for his life and ordered it to be retaken; Muzzie missed it.

Some events never leave the memory. No wonder we feel so aggrieved at advantages still given to the privileged clubs.

Recently rewatched this again and i cant believe it wasnt allowed. It's just one small example in a long list.

No doubt they had some great sides, but the power Ferguson had with things he really shouldnt have had was staggering. Luckily we seemed to have moved away from that era of the old school manager having so much of that power. 

Here's a question ahead of the weekend's games, which way do we want Man City vs Man Utd going at the weekend? Man City win to extend out gap to United or United win to potentially extend the gap to second... Thinking about it, a draw sounds just about perfect 😂

On 03/12/2019 at 22:32, Finn Claw II said:

It's a shame it needs technology to introduce integrity.

Damn that sounded good. 

13 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

Here's a question ahead of the weekend's games, which way do we want Man City vs Man Utd going at the weekend? Man City win to extend out gap to United or United win to potentially extend the gap to second... Thinking about it, a draw sounds just about perfect 😂

Man City win, couldn't care if we finish 2nd, 3rd or 4th. All about that gap to 5th, although, I don't think United will be anywhere near 5th for too long.

13 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

Not brothered about arsenal or man united, they won’t be anywhere near the top 4 come the end of the season. Man City will likely finish with 88-90 points this season and I reckon we will get 75-80 so I’m not too bothered tbh..

On 27/11/2019 at 13:20, Gamble92 said:

I get what you're saying but i feel like we are in territory we havent been before.

You say that about Spurs and Everton but Spurs are in London at a huge stadium. They'll inevitably attract better players than Everton. 

I expect that top 6 to be the top 6 in 20 of the next 25 seasons. 

In 25 seasons they’ll probably be a 6 team super duper premier league with no relegation, a closed shop, all other teams will become feeder clubs to the BIG six, living off scraps they toss down to us.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, dormelcfc said:

ManUtd win ... AbuDhabi FC have a special place as my most hated team

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

In 25 seasons they’ll probably be a 6 team super duper premier league with no relegation, a closed shop, all other teams will become feeder clubs to the BIG six, living off scraps they toss down to us.

Pleasure to hear from you Lawro lol

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, Jobyfox said:

The first thing I thought about when VAR was introduced this season was: “great, less dodgy penalties at Old Trafford”. 

How ironic then that we lost our first game  of the season - to a dodgy penalty at Old Trafford ☹️

and the other one at anfield ……..(which was way more dodgy than the OT one)

avoid a loss before new years day and our only defeats will be by odd goals to bloody pens

I know we are 15 points ahead of Spurs but Mourinho still worries me a little bit. I'm not at all worried about Manchester United. If we can keep Spurs at bay we got top 4 wrapped up. 

• Like 1